FL DC'ers....Buying a shotgun out of state?

This is a discussion on FL DC'ers....Buying a shotgun out of state? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello all. I've been in the market for a shotgun for HD the past few weeks but haven't bought one yet. I'm going to be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FL DC'ers....Buying a shotgun out of state?

FL DC'ers....Buying a shotgun out of state?

Hello all.

I've been in the market for a shotgun for HD the past few weeks but haven't bought one yet. I'm going to be flying to Daytona this weekend and driving back a Uhaul full of furniture for a family member, but I'm going to be staying a few hotels along the way. After reading the "hotel stories" thread, I would really like to have some protection with me when I'm staying over if the hotels turn out to be less than desirable..but I don't have enough permits to carry my pistol legally...

What I'm wondering is, can I stop at a gun shop in FL, use my CT ID, and buy a shotgun for the trip home? From all the searching I've already done, long gun sales to out of state people is legal, and there is no waiting period for long guns regardless of the resident status of the buyer, so I SHOULD be ok as long as I store it properly in the vehicle while transporting it through all the states...

I just wanted to get some clarification/details/warnings from anyone living in/knowledgeable in FL laws/gun shops.

Thanks!!
    "I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it!"

2. Remove Ads

As I understand the law, no. I believe you can only buy a long gun from a contiguous state (shares a border with your home state) without going through a FFL in your home state. For Connecticut, that means New York, Rhode Island, Massachusetts and Connecticut are your only options without having it shipped to an FFL in your home state.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Well crap then!

Thanks for the info hoss!

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    As I understand the law, no. I believe you can only buy a long gun from a contiguous state (shares a border with your home state) without going through a FFL in your home state. For Connecticut, that means New York, Rhode Island, Massachusetts and Connecticut are your only options without having it shipped to an FFL in your home state.

Hoss
    From the simplified Federal Firearms Law page at NRA-ILA:

"An individual 18 years of age or older may purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed dealer in any state."

NRA-ILA ::

Unless your state has the proviso that Hoss is talking about, I don't know.
    Of course, if the FFL will sell it to you, then, well, you know....

- OS

I stand corrected. I thought it was federal law but apparently not.
    From ATF FAQ section:
    (B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

And Kansas law:
    48-1903
    Chapter 48.--MILITIA, DEFENSE AND PUBLIC SAFETY
    Article 19.--SALE AND PURCHASE OF CERTAIN FIREARMS

48-1903. Purchase or receipt of rifle or shotgun in contiguous state by resident of Kansas; restrictions. It is hereby declared to be lawful for a resident of this state to purchase or receive delivery of a rifle or shotgun in a state contiguous to this state, subject to the following restrictions and requirements:

(a) The sale must fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such states; and

(b) Prior to the sale or delivery for sale of the rifle or shotgun, the purchaser and the licensee must have complied with all of the requirements of section 922 (c) of the federal gun control act of 1968, applicable to interstate transactions other than at the licensee's business premises.

History: L. 1970, ch. 210, 3; July 1.

You'll need to check your own state law and the laws of the state in which you want to buy to find out if you can purchase.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Federal law does not prohibit it- as long as it is a long gun and is legal to own in both your purchase location and home location. Some States have laws that you may only purchase long guns in a contiguous State (Idaho is an example). A phone call to a Florida FFL will quickly answer any questions.

thanks for all the help guys, I did call today as it seems there's a few opinions, and the guy told me if I have my CT ID and pass the backround check which he said was instant over the phone, I would be GTG with any long gun.

Florida's firearm statute, FS 790, seems to be moot on purchase by a non-resident. FS 790.28 Speak about a resident of Fl being allowed to purchase in contiguous states.

790.065 Sale and delivery of firearms.-- discusses, as the title says, sales. I can't seem to find the requirements. I find the disqualifications. I guess like an earlier poster suggested call a FFL.

FS 790.015 is the only place where nonresidents are discussed and it's about reciprocity.

790.015 Nonresidents who are United States citizens and hold a concealed weapons license in another state; reciprocity.

790.28 Purchase of rifles and shotguns in contiguous states.--A resident of this state may purchase a rifle or shotgun in any state contiguous to this state if he or she conforms to applicable laws and regulations of the United States, of the state where the purchase is made, and of this state.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

VIP Member
    Long guns get complicated for FFLs. In Alabama the law was changed so that you can buy in any state and FFLs can sell to someone from any state. However, you still have to know what the laws of that state and in some cases counties within that state say. There are two counties in Florida that don't allow purchase out of state. It is difficult to know whether you can or can't sell.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

It sounds as if your intent is to simply drive back home and that you want to have something for in-room protection at the hotels.....hence the shotgun as an alternative, right?

If that's the case, I can't think of any reason that you couldn't do the same with your own handgun. You're not intending to carry or conceal it along the way, you're simply transporting it.

What am I missing?

Now, if this is a ploy to slide a new shottie past the wife, well then......
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Shotgun

I just talked to the boss at the gunshop. If you can buy a shotgun over the counter with no wait in CT, you can buy one here. PM me for the contact info, hope you enjoy your trip.

Post # 1000 Woo Hoo!

VIP Member
    A few weeks back I bought a shot gun in Middletown NY. I am a CT resident. All they needed was a drivers license and a phone call and I was on My way with the Mossberg 500 JIC and Ammo. I did not think it would be so easy in NY State. In CT there is a 14 day wait on long guns unless You have a pistol permit or a hunting license.

Hey guys thanks for the replies. I actually ended up deciding to do the drive in one 24-hour red bull enabled ride, which I just got back from a few minutes ago, so I didn't end up buying a SG from FL.

I thought about bringing the SV, but researching every states "condition of storage and carry" for keeping it in the truck and where and in what state of disassemble would have taken awhile since I went through about 8 states to get home and I'm sure each one has different wording as to that stuff...what I really need to do is just get all my non res permits!

It was sort of a ply to just get another gun, but not to sneak it by the wife, I'm only 24 and luckily (or not, depending on how you look at it), single. :)...so mainly it was a justification to myself to spend the $$. The one I REALLY want is the Remington 1100 Tac-2 but I think they don't make them anymore and I haven't been able to find any even used, so I might go with Benelli now..not sure...I used to have a Moss 590 persuader but I sold that to help pay for the SV so I've been getting the urge more and more and my shoulder doesn't feel right not tenderized every weekend..

I did manage to get my JetBeam flashlight through TSA for the flight down with the only hiccup being when the guy function checked it he blinded himself for a few seconds...

Thanks again for all the replies and thanks Superhouse for going that extra mile for a fellow CC'er, If I'd seen your post before I left to come home I might have bought one anyways!

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

My local Walmart has a map of the U.S. with the states marked whose citizens may purchase long guns in the state of Florida.
    The only gray area as I am told by an FFL holder here is the 'pistol grip shotgun' because of the new 4473 that is being used.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

No Problem

See you next time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links