Was 1st looking at the 500/870, but is the Saiga 12 worth the extra $$$?

This is a discussion on Was 1st looking at the 500/870, but is the Saiga 12 worth the extra $$$? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; At first I was considering the... Mossberg 500: use to be on sale at Big-5 for around $250 (haven't seen it on sale recently) Remington ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was 1st looking at the 500/870, but is the Saiga 12 worth the extra $$$?

At first I was considering the...

Mossberg 500: use to be on sale at Big-5 for around $250 (haven't seen it on sale recently)
    Remington 870: now on sale at Big-5 for $350

However, I am now considering a new Saiga 12, available (for a few weeks on the reserve list) for $580.

This would be my first, and only for a long time, long gun.
    So this would be my primary SHTF & home-defense tool.

Are there enough qualities of the Saiga 12 to justify the $$$ difference? Or would it be smarter to wait for the 500 to go on sale, and then get the Knoxx stock.

Administrator
    It be far smarter to buy a 870P or wingmaster maybe a 590, forget the Knoxx and take a class or two before you spend any more money.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I just ordered a Saiga 12 for $568 shipped. I was thinking the same thing as you. Do I go with an 870 instead? Well ultimately IMO, the Saiga is just too cool and it has the 'I gotta have it' factor. Also, I don't think I'll lose my investment if I ever want to sell it. I also picked up an extra 5rd Saiga mag, 2 12 rd Surefire mags and am on the waiting list for a 20rd drum. I'm already planning some mods for it. Just like the 870, you can customize the heck out of it. I'm sure it will be a fun but also very effective HD weapon.

With that being said. If a nice deal on a 870 Police Magnum pops up, I'll probably get one of those too.

I love buying new guns.

If it is going to be your only long gun for a while I'd go with an 870/500/590 route (whichever model you prefer), because it tends to be more versatile. Swapping barrels can adapt it from shooting clays, to deer hunting, to home defense.

The reliability of any of those shotguns has be proven over the years. Also with a pump action you have the ability to load the round you need without taking out a magazine.

For a SD gun, start with some sort of light as a modification, it's really the best one IMO.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    I just ordered a Saiga 12 for $568 shipped. I was thinking the same thing as you. Do I go with an 870 instead? Well ultimately IMO, the Saiga is just too cool and it has the 'I gotta have it' factor. Also, I don't think I'll lose my investment if I ever want to sell it. I also picked up an extra 5rd Saiga mag, 2 12 rd Surefire mags and am on the waiting list for a 20rd drum. I'm already planning some mods for it. Just like the 870, you can customize the heck out of it. I'm sure it will be a fun but also very effective HD weapon.

With that being said. If a nice deal on a 870 Police Magnum pops up, I'll probably get one of those too.

I love buying new guns.
    Where did you get the Saiga12 for that price?

I bought the Rem 870 7+1 from Big 5 the other night. There is a video on youtbe by Clint Smith on HD shotguns. Clint likes the 870. You should watch him.
    Keep your powder dry

I like the 500 for a number of reason. The tang mounted safety is truly ambidexterous and there is much less chance of hitting the wrong thing when reaching for it. I have three barrels for mine, a shorty riot barrel, a 28 inch bird barrel with screw in choke tubes, and a 24 inch rifled bore with scope mount for deer hunting. Barrels can be swapped in 30 seconds with no tools.
    That is a lot of shot gun for not a lot of money.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

jfl
    Buy American !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

IMHO, the main thing the Saiga has going for it is the "cool factor".

I shot one belonging to a friend. It was REALLY cool. Like an AK on Steroids.

But for a first SG, I would go with the 870 or the Mossberg.

I love my 870!!

I would love to have a Saiga but just to play with at the range.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Quote Originally Posted by 1boredguy View Post
    Are there enough qualities of the Saiga 12 to justify the $$$ difference? Or would it be smarter to wait for the 500 to go on sale, and then get the Knoxx stock.
    If it will be a "social implement," oooohhh, yes. If you can afford the gun, and 10-12 mags in the immediate future. Comparing manual guns to autos, is...well, comparing manual guns to autos. So far, Saiga has a reputation for reliability at least equal to the 500/870, and is much easier to clear.

A somewhat cheaper alternative would be the Stoeger M2000, which I like because I'm not totally sold on the DBM, in my usage area.

For the $$, I would take the Stoeger over any of the others.

Senior Moderator
    I would go with a Mossberg 590, Rem 870 then Mossberg 500 in that order.

If I already had a couple of good defensive shotguns I would get the Saiga for the cool factor alone
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

870 for me

The Saiga 12 is an excellent lead delivery system!!! I just purchased one and have no regrets what so ever. It will also be a great investment in case of a firearms ban.

Problem i see with a saiga and I might be wrong but availability of parts if something breaks compared to a remmy or mossy
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Nothing major is gonna break on a Saiga. It's an AK! Most of the other stuff, trigger group, gas system, grips, stocks, etc. all have US make swap outs. Which you pretty much need to convert anyway to 922r compliance. Buy the Saiga now, before you CAN'T anymore. Watch the prices shoot up even higher then. You can buy a Remy or Mossy any time in the future (most likely).

Think of a nice 20-rd drum on an S-12!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links