Really, How many rounds do you need?

This is a discussion on Really, How many rounds do you need? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am trying to find the logic in hording over 1k rounds of ammo. Unless you are going to shoot it up in a reasonably ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I am trying to find the logic in hording over 1k rounds of ammo. Unless you are going to shoot it up in a reasonably short period of time. My thinking is that if we get into a EOTWAWKI situation, there will be plenty of guns/ammo laying around. I mean if you are required to defend yourself against a foreign or domestic enemy they will be armed as well or better than you and thus if you survive said attack, then confiscate the weapons and ammo from your enemy.

My personal SHTF cache has about 500 rnds in it. I may not be able to supply a platoon with my stash but then again I don't have a platoon backing me up.

I feel that feeding this ammo beast at .40-.50 cents a round is hurting all of us in the pocket book. For the love of god that is $15 per 30 rnd magazine!!! I venture to say that not many of us can continue to shoot at that cost. Obama isn't going to have to pass a damn piece of legislation, we are going to break each others bank hording ammo.
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

point to consider for hording

For a true shtf scenario think logically as to what can be carried out with you should you flee. I am set for 20 loaded ar mags 4-100 round "loose" packs and 8 loaded pistol mags with loose packed 2-100. just in ammo and guns that weighs in at a touch over 30lbs not much for food and water and survival gear. I know from experience 60-65 ponds puts me at a max 18-21 miles per day on foot. That takes about 2.5 gallons of water and 12000 calories to keep up with and after 3-4 days I breakdown to about 10-12.

I realize that might be a little off topic but I happened to take ammo stock the other night and

1500-9mm
    2100-.223
    54-.270 (waiting to restock like about 200)
    480-.308 screaming deal 500 rnds german nato spec for $210
    2300-.22 bought a case for shipping purposes

It leaves me enough on hand to shoot what I want when I want and still be able to ride out those tight months without a completely bare shelf.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    My approach is shaving enough fir defense of my home and family should the SHTF. In that situation, if i have to bug out, it will be with a vehicle. I'm handicapped, so I won't be going on foot. And I'm not looking to defend against a foreign government, or our own for that matter. I'm more concerned about a societal breakdown, with roving gangs looking to take whatever they can find. Also, in that situation, it might be harder to find ammo, as it will be grabbed up as soon as possible. Also, I may have to arm a neighbor, as the more people that you have on you side the better. So, I'm hoping to eventually reach 5K per caliber that I have, And should I reach that goal, I'll continue to add to the stockpile.

While I don't fear a total society chaos at this point, I do think about it from time to time. If I had the storage, AND THE $, I would be stocking up on ammo as well.

There may very well come a day where the only ones left to protect our families and ourselves are.... ourselves! The economy sure doesn't seem to be improving and sending a positive message under Mr. Obama, now does it?

What will people do when surviving means doing what you have to do? I fear that most of all, and I Pray it never comes to that!
    Boomer Sooner!

Administrator
    I created my stash years ago... I've turned lead into gold. The more I have, the more bargaining power I have when the commies finally take over or when the Johnny Come Lately crowd dries up supplies even further.

Bottom line is, not all of my ammo stash is for fighting. Sure, it can be used for that, but if you're going to survive a SHTF you got to think outside of the box.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Dang it! Sixto keeps beeting to making almost the same exact statement.

Yeppers. I might be grabbing more than I will even reasonably consume for a long time, but I figure there are going to be three valuable forms of currency someday in the future: Guns, Bullets, and Gold
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

BAC
    Because 1k rounds won't get me through either the Bushido Tactical or EAG Tactical carbine courses I have lined up for '09, and 1k won't cover me for the rounds I'll fire outside of those courses throughout the year.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

You'll never know until you need them.

For the immediate, I'm buying ammo to save money. If you look at where prices have gone in the last 3 years, you'll see what I mean. For some years, I've been making my purchases of reloading components from Midway via the Internet and as such, have most of my invoices saved in my computer files. Ammunition and reloading components are like land --- they aren't going to drop in price. I don't think the current administration has much to do with prices -- availability yes -- prices no as prices have been on an upswing for the last 3 years. It started with steel prices and moved into almost all metals markets. 2 years ago, I was buying primers for $12.50/1000. Today I consider myself lucky if I can find them for $26.00/1000. 2 years from now, they may be $50.00/1000. The more I can stockpile today is less I'll have to buy tomorrow.

In a true SHTF scenario, you need to consider two things. Value and replenishment. Sixto already covered the value portion as in trading material but think about replenishment. Existing stocks in stores would be gone immediately. Ammunition manufacturing facilities would probably be one of the first targets of a military attack so new supplies would be few and far between. Do I see a scenario like this in our immediate future? No, but I fall back on the old idea of "Expect the best, prepare for the worst".

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

"My thinking is that if we get into a EOTWAWKI situation, there will be plenty of guns/ammo laying around."

Are you really depending on this line of reasoning?

Administrator
    Just a case in point, I have cases of 5.56 marked 2 and 3 dollars a box. What does a box of Winchester 5.56 go for now? That can pay for a lot of beans and rice.

How about 7.62x39? I bought cases and cases of the stuff at 50-75 dollars a case. I havent shopped 7.62x39 recently, but I'm sure its a sound investment.

Here is a little gun secret- When everybody is buying guns, buy ammo. When they go to sell the guns because there is no ammo, buy their guns cheap. I've rode that wave twice now, and it pays off.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I probably will never have enough ammo. I would like to have enough to last for at least 20 years if the ammo supply disappeared. If things get so bad that our survival depends on what we can hunt for, I would like to be able to have ammo available.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerbyron View Post
    I am trying to find the logic in hording over 1k rounds of ammo.
    I'm a recent first time gun owner and before I'd shot a round, I had 550. 50 rounds of hollow points for my birthday, and then I bought a case of 500 at Dick's due to a great sale. The only way I'm buying ammo is if I get a good deal, and even though I still have over 400 left, if Dick's or anyone else repeated a deal that good, I'd buy again.

It's strictly about saving money. I don't fear the breakdown of the global economy, I'm not afraid of race riots, and I'm pretty confident we will dodge the zombie apocalypse. Buying bulk is the only way to make shooting regularly remotely affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Just a case in point, I have cases of 5.56 marked 2 and 3 dollars a box. What does a box of Winchester 5.56 go for now? That can pay for a lot of beans and rice.

How about 7.62x39? I bought cases and cases of the stuff at 50-75 dollars a case. I havent shopped 7.62x39 recently, but I'm sure its a sound investment.

Here is a little gun secret- When everybody is buying guns, buy ammo. When they go to sell the guns because there is no ammo, buy their guns cheap. I've rode that wave twice now, and it pays off.
    Words of wisdom no doubt!
    A box of (20) 5.56 now goes for at the least $8.25. Like you, I have tons of individual boxes marked at $3.25. Bought a case of Federal American Eagle .223 in the late 90's but don't remember the cost. Last case of 7.62x39 I got was in the late 90's at a gun show in wooden crate (1440rds) of Norinco yellow box for around $110 I think. Seems like I had also picked up a 500rd case of PMP 45acp in 2000 or 2001 for around $85. Those days are gone, and I haven't been looking for good deals on bulk ammo since. I have picked up a couple 100rd boxes of .223 from Wally World for about $38 just because, but that's still close to $8 per 20ct.

The way I figure it, other than the point others have made, is this. I am 1 and my wife is 1, plus my kids when they learn to shoot. After this 5th kid is born we would have a total of 7 people in the house, the don don't count. There are many more than 7 BG and knuckleheads in my town, let alone the country/hemisphere/World.

With that I need enough ammo to use to protect, procure, etc. and trade as well as practice until the end of the World.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links