Need opinions on short Rifle for Home Defense

This is a discussion on Need opinions on short Rifle for Home Defense within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking for a rifle that is no longer then 40 inches for home defense. I would get an AR rifle but I might ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need opinions on short Rifle for Home Defense

I am looking for a rifle that is no longer then 40 inches for home defense. I would get an AR rifle but I might give the impression (live in N.J.) that Im a terrorist. I have had a lot of shooting experience while active in the Marines but lack experience with non-military type rifles. The rifle I seek needs to be both reliable and not longer then 40 inches. Any suggestions? Thank-You for your thoughts!

Administrator
    I've always thought a Ruger Deerfield carbine would be a sweet little home defender. 44mag in a semi auto carbine is just pure goodness. Capacity is a little low, but that can be overcome.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Beretta CX4 Storm

surv

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    Beretta CX4 Storm

surv
    That would be a nice one IMO. Couple of guys at the range a while back had a pair of them. They offered to let me shoot one....I guess I should have now. If I ever thought about a HD rifle other than an AK, it would definitely be in a pistol caliber with a 10+ capacity. That CX4 really seems like it would fill the bill!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    That would be a nice one IMO. Couple of guys at the range a while back had a pair of them. They offered to let me shoot one....I guess I should have now. If I ever thought about a HD rifle other than an AK, it would definitely be in a pistol caliber with a 10+ capacity. That CX4 really seems like it would fill the bill!

unfortunatly, its about the only worth while PCC in current production.
    "Just blame Sixto"

jfl
    My UZI is 24" long with the stock folded.
    The 18" barrel give interesting ballistics to the 9mm, especially the carbine rounds, and will shoot 5" groups at 100 yds.
    Practice ammo is cheap.

I have a political bias against Mr. Kalashnikov products; some ranges do not accept them but allow M-16/AR-15. But that's me, they excellent weapons.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Cmon guys he doesn't want to look like an honest gun owner (IE terrorist).

I'd say one of the .357 or .44 carbines would do the trick. Heck, a short barreld 30-30 lever action brush gun would be nothing to sneeze about on the recieving end and no one ever called them an assault rifle,,,,,,,,,,, yet.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Marlin 1894C in .357. Load it with good .38+p hollow points. You have 10 rounds, can load additional rounds without taking the weapon out of action. it's 18.5" barrel makes it short and handy and it's about as Un-terrorist as you can get.

Marlin made a 16 or 16.5 version that you can still find used once in a while on a website.

Remmington makes a .223 pump rifle that looks a bit like their 870 shotgun. It is longer but still quite short.

And there is the Berretta Storm which I've handled, but never shot. I think its the most compact/shortest of ALL these options. Mags for them (at least the high capacity mags) could get scarse if a new AWB is implemented) But it's probably the best, current production model that you're looking for.

Some take a el-cheapo hi-point 9mm carbine, put it in an ATI aftermarket stock and you have a cheap version of the Berretta for under $270 or so. I can't recommend this for self defense but if you get past the emotional responses you'll start to notice that there is a proponderance of input out there that the Hi-point carbine is as reliable as can be.

If you have the money and will use if for HD, I'd still go with the Berretta.

Buying used weapons over the internet is a pain and can cost more with shipping and transfer fees, So I'd just buy the Berretta and at least two 33rd mags for it.

My ATI'd Hi Point has been nothing but reliable after a couple thousand rounds through it...

I know the "Hi-Point is crap" posts are bound to follow. It may be true about the pistols (dunno personally, haven't shot one), but the carbines are pretty well thought of by those who actually shoot them.

Most of the issues I've heard of from the Hi Point carbines are caused by people using aftermarket ProMag 15 rounders in their carbines. Stick with the factory 10 mags (get a couple extras) and it should be just fine.

I have a few more goodies in the mail for this one already. It's inexpensive enough that you have enough money left over to add on all kinds of fun stuff and buy bulk ammo later.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Ditto on a shorter lever-action rifle. Non-threatening, by comparison to an "evil, black" rifle. Easy to maneuver, if it's got a short barrel.

In the past 3yrs, I have picked up two Marlin lever-actions:
    • Marlin 1894P .44mag, 16" bbl, blued, walnut stock w/ pad.
    • Marlin 1894CP .357mag, 16" bbl, blued, walnut stock w/ pad.

Not exactly easy to find, either of them, though you see them occasionally on GunBroker.com and other auction web sites. But, .44mag Marlins are a dime a dozen, particularly if you look for a used example. Any gunsmith can shorten it, do the sights, smooth the action.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

If you're going to buy something like the PX4 I'd just go for the AR. They both have that black rifle appearance but if I understand your post, you're looking for something that doesn't have that perception. For HD, I'd think the Marlin 1894SS would make a good choice. No identification with AR type firearms and loaded with good 44 Special ammo, would make a very effective combination without the over penetration of the 44 mag but still leave you with the 44 mag capability. The OAL of 37.5" meets your length requirement and the SS construction means it can sit in the safe or closet for a long time without requiring special care. And don't let anyone tell you that a lever gun can't be fast. This video shows the second place shooter. 10 rounds, on target, 1.81 seconds.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Rem 870, with 00buck. A rifle bullet ma y go through a wall, then...........
    Keep your powder dry

Have you thought about the M1 Carbine? It is a good little rifle. It’s reliable, easy to shoot, light weight, easy to shoot and short.

If you like the .2223 caliber, but do not really want to go with the Evil Black Rifle, you could also look at the Ruger Min-14. Again, this is a reliable, light weight, easy to shoot, short rifle.

Both are combat accurate, although you will not be winning any target shoots with them, and fun to shoot.

If you spend a little time you might be able to still find a Marlin Camp 9 carbine. Very politically correct looking. Pretty wood stock, no pistol grip. I believe they made one in .45 also.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I would recommend a Ruger PC9, except the prices are skyrocketing. I found a new one collecting dust at the local Scheels for $430 about 6 months ago but now nice used ones are between 600-700 on gunbroker. PC4's (.40 instead of 9mm) are more obtainable but dont seem to be as reliable or accurate (from my research on the internet, not personal experience). FWIW they are just under 35" IIRC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links