Hornady TAP 00 12ga worth the price?

This is a discussion on Hornady TAP 00 12ga worth the price? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been looking for a good HD load for my Saiga 12 and the Hornady TAP 00 is getting great reviews. It's very pricey though. ...

Thread: Hornady TAP 00 12ga worth the price?

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar

Hornady TAP 00 12ga worth the price?

I've been looking for a good HD load for my Saiga 12 and the Hornady TAP 00 is getting great reviews. It's very pricey though. The other 00 ammo that I'm looking at is the Federal LE w/Flitecontrol. It's much cheaper. I understand that the Hornady uses Flitecontrol (or something similar) as well. The Hornady is low recoil, I can get the Federal in both low or standard recoil. I was thinking low recoil is fine and probably best for HD purposes. I'm sure both the Federal and Hornady will take care of the BG sufficiently but is the TAP worth the extra $$?

Thanks for any input.

2. Remove Ads

I have Hornady TAP, but the FED flight Control stuff is just as good. I switched to TAP after an instructor at a SG course gave everyone a couple to pattern. It shot well in every gun there, really was remarkable.

But, it really depends on what range you're expecting to have to engage at. The longest distance inside my house is about 20 meters, and that's a long hallway shot. Pretty much everything I've patterned in my Benelli does OK at that distance.

If you anticipate having to use your gun outdoors, then the TAP or the FED FC might make good sense as it really does pattern well.

To be honest, I think the low recoil stuff is a solution looking for a problem. Unless you've got some physical limitations, the standard recoil really isn't bad with some good technique and practice. One of the touted benefits was the patterning, but with the TAP and FED FC you get the good patterns and extra ooomph.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    00 Buck in a 2-3/4" shell has only 9 pellets, a 3" mag has 15. In a home defense situation, I feel that any quality shotshell manufacturer is all you need.

I use Winchester Supreme 00 buck copper plated. Very consistent patterns and less likely to deform out of a short barreled shotgun. YMMV

"Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Thanks for the replies,

I'm not too concerned about the ammo being low recoil. I believe that's the only way the TAP comes though. If I go with the Federal, I'll probably go with standard recoil.

As for the 3" magnum ammo, I need to research a little more about if they will feed reliably in the Saiga and Surefire mags. I agree though that 15 pellets is better than 8 or 9.

Thanks again.

Only if they hit the target. Many people have a hard time puting two magnum charges on a plate at 5 yards in 1-2 seconds. They usually jerk the second shot off target everytime. Try it and good luck

Just for general info, while most 2 3/4 00 buck is 9 pellets, there are some 2 3/4 that are 12 pellets.
    Federal Power-Shok
    Remington Express

To the original question, out to 25-30 yards, it's not going to matter much what 12 ga. 00 buck ammo you use -- the BG is going to be hurting big time. Beyond that, it the high dollar stuff may stand out a bit but if you pattern both in your shotgun, I don't think you're going to see much difference at defensive ranges.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Links