Defensive Carry banner

Remington Police 870 or Marine Magnum?

84K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  oldskeetshooter 
#1 ·
Which of these are the better shotgun? I like the nickel finish on the Marine 870 but is the Police 870's parkerized finish more durable? Is the rest of the Marine 870 beefed up like the Police 870 (springs) or is it more like the Express 870?

Thanks for any input.

#2 ·
i don't think there is any "beefed up" different in the two. maybe i am wrong. i got the 80's verson of the 870 police gun. i have compare it between others 870's that we have at work and i cannot see any different. i have also check the inside parts. maybe it is something the eye can not see.

#4 ·
I have the Marine Magnum.

The nickel finish (both inside and out) was designed to inhibit rust and make the gun suitable for Marine use in fresh and salt water environments. I believe the nickel finish will accomplish this much better than a parkerized finish.

The only thing not nickel plated or made of stainless is the trigger group housing (plastic) and the internals. These will need to be maintained accordingly.

I changed out the "Lock" safety button for an over sized "No-Lock" version.

Attachments

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies again,

I notice that in the stock configuration the Marine 870 holds one more shell. Bud's has them both for about $500 shipped. I'm not sure if I need another shotgun but have always admired these two. The wife is going to end up using it on me if she finds out I get one of the 870s after I just made my Saiga 12 purchase. :gah:

#6 ·
I have both a Police and Express. There are very slight visual differences. But when in use, the Police definitely feels better than the Express. Other than the electroless nickel plating and possibly a better overall F&F, I believe the Marine Magnum and Express are the same. I personally would go with the Police, but you'd be served well with Marine Magnum too.

#7 ·
Remington has indicated there are differences between the Express and the Police models.

Important differences between Remington 870 Police and 870 Express shotguns

The 870 Express has been an important part of Remington’s offering to the sporting market. It was designed to meet a price point in the commercial market while still providing classic 870 functionality. All of Remington’s 870’s have interchangeable parts, even if they have cosmetic differences. It is also important to note that many manufacturers use the 870 Express platform for their Police / Combat models. Without exception, every manufacturer who utilizes our 870 platform serves to upgrade their system to a more efficient, street worthy platform.

While the 870 Express is still an 870, the best pump shotgun on the market, there are some very important cosmetic and functional differences between it and the 870 Police. To our customers in Law Enforcement, Military, Corrections, and Security, whose lives depend upon the unfailing performance of Remington shotguns, the Police modifications are of paramount importance.

Synopses of the variances are provided below.

• 870 Police shotguns go thru a special 23 station check list – ranging from visual inspection, functional testing, test firing, and final inspection.

• All Police shotguns are assembled in a “special build area” at the plant in Ilion, NY. This section is secured and serves only to build LE and Military shotguns, with the same factory personnel working at that assignment each shift.

• All parts that enter the “special build area” are visually inspected by hand to ensure top quality and functionality.

• Due to heavy recoil in buck and slug loads, all 870 Police guns have a longer magazine spring which ensures positive feed and function.

• A heavier sear spring is used to generate a reliable, positive trigger pull between 5 and 8 lbs.

• A heavier carrier dog spring is used to ensure when the carrier elevates the shell, it will be held there until the bolt can push it into the chamber. This ensures positive feeding when using heavier payload rounds.

• Police shotguns do not have an ISS (Integrated Safety System) which is a locking mechanism on the safety of commercial shotguns. This type of locking mechanism can cause delay to an officer who needs the weapon but does not have the appropriate key. LE shotguns have the standard, proven, cross bolt safety.

• The fore-end on the Express model is longer and not compatible with many police shotgun vehicle racks.

• The Police shotguns utilize the heavy duty SPEEDFEED Stocks and Fore-ends.

• The Express model will not allow for the addition of an extension tube without physical modification to the tube and barrel, which can nullify the warranty.

• The Express model has a BEAD BLAST BLUE finish while the Police models utilize either High Luster bluing or Parkerization.

• The Express model utilizes a synthetic trigger housing while the Police models use a compressed metal housing.

• The Police shotgun barrel is locked down with a “ball detent” system in conjunction with the magazine cap vs. a lesser grade “synthetic magazine spring retainer” lock down as used on the Express system.

• The receivers used in Police guns are “vibra honed” to smooth out rough finishes and remove burrs before parkerization or bluing.

• Police shotguns use machined ejectors and extractors, as opposed to powdered metal cast which are utilized on the Express models.
Here is a post from someone on The Firing Line, regarding some differences: click.

Here's the actual differences between the standard 870 Express and the 870P Police guns.

The Express is Remington's "budget" gun, made to compete with the cheaper to make Winchester and Mossberg guns.

The Wingmaster is Remington’s "Cadillac" top-of-the-line sporting gun.

The Police is a Wingmaster with a dull finish and is a much more carefully inspected and built gun.

The new "Tactical" and Marine Magnum guns are based on the Express.

How Remington lowered the Express price was to reduce hand labor to a bare minimum, and to eliminate much of the polishing and de-burring the better quality Wingmaster and Police guns get.

The Express is basically the same forged and milled steel receiver and heavy-duty internals gun the better 870's are, just in a rougher, less well finished form with plastic and MIM parts.

The Express Model has:
A plastic trigger group.
The dimples in the mag tube and the new style plastic magazine retention system, EXCEPT on the extended magazine versions, which do NOT have the dimples.
A rougher finish inside and outside, with machine marks and some burrs left.
A rougher, bead blasted blue job.
A less polished bore.
A two piece sleeved barrel. (not 100% sure about this)
Hardwood or synthetic stock, with a sporting-length fore end and pressed-in checkering.

The Defense version has 18", Cylinder bore barrel, with a bead sight.

The Marine Magnum and Tactical models have plated or polymer finishes.
Some Metal Injection Molded (MIM) parts, like the extractor.

The Wingmaster has:
An aluminum trigger group.
The old style magazine retention system.
A much smoother finish inside and out, no machine marks or burrs.
The Wingmaster gun receives a higher level of inspection and finishing.
A fine, commercial polished blue finish.
A polished bore.
A chrome plated bolt.
A one piece barrel.
Walnut stocks with the famous "Bowling Pin" finish in gloss or satin. and better checkering.
Wide choices in barrel lengths and choke options.
No use of MIM parts, the extractor is milled.

The Wingmaster is the full top-of-the-line commercial Remington pump gun, and is priced accordingly.

The 870 Police has:
An aluminum trigger group.
The old style magazine retention system.
A much smoother finish inside and out, no machine marks or burrs.
The Police gun receives a higher level of inspection and finishing and is built in a special area of the plant from 100% inspected parts.
A military-grade parkerized finish.
A polished bore.
A one piece barrel.
Walnut or synthetic stock, with a short police-length fore end.
The Remington “R3” super recoil pad that reduces felt recoil by 30%.
Choices in different stocks, including Speed-feed, and others.
18" to 20" improved cylinder barrel, with a wide choice in sights, including rifle, ghost ring, and luminous.
Police options like magazine extenders, forearms with built-in lights, and sling swivels.
Heavy-duty magazine spring.
Heavy-duty trigger-sear spring.
Heavy-duty shell lifter spring.
Sling swivel mounts.
No use of MIM parts, the extractor is milled.

The Express is a "bottom of the line" budget gun, the Wingmaster is a "top of the line" sporting gun, the Police is the top-of-the-line in defense guns.

The 870's are generally considered to be the finest quality pump gun made.

#8 ·
Thanks for all the great info,

How hard is it to swap barrels on the Police 870? I'm trying to justify buying it while already having a Saiga 12. If I can swap barrels at times, I'd have a good clay/target gun while still having a great HD backup. I don't want to go all tacticool with it but the swapping of barrels may make it more a versatile choice. If I decide to sell my Saiga later (which I probably won't), I wouldn't leave myself under-gunned with the 870P.

#9 ·
How hard is it to swap barrels on the Police 870?
60 seconds. Very simple. Here is a good guide, from Life/Liberty: click.

A search on YouTube finds several simple guides to takedown and assembly: click.

#10 ·
Well, I think this is all moot for now. I just tried to get onto Bud's site again (was just there this morning) and the 870P is no longer listed in the 'Sale' section. There's a notice popping up that there was some sort of glitch that listed stuff not in stock erroneously on Saturday (it was there this morning EST).

Dang, I was just going to pull the trigger on a 870P. I'll call them tomorrow.

Thanks again.

#15 ·
Hm. And, now, it's listed as unavailable. Looks like they're going to need a full inventory and rehash of their database listings. Oops. Call 'em in the morning. They'll be able to go find it.

#19 ·
Keep an eye on the LGS, especially the ones that cater to LEOS. Many times 870's can be found as agency trade ins. The 870 became very popular, due to its twin action bars which allow for extremely fast slide operation, with little chance of binding.

The older 870's including the Express models have been time tested. They are ALL extremely reliable. I have spent numerous hours on clay target fields where a shooter puts thousands of rounds through a gun, sometimes over a thousand rounds a week. I have seen newfangled autos and pumps fail, A LOT. The Rem 870s, ALL GRADES, just keep on shooting. The biggest issue on the 870 is with the shell catch coming loose. Buy a 10 dollar tool and repair it yourself every 10,000 rounds or so.

If you desire a higher grade 870, go for it. Some of the costs of a higher grade are polishing of internal parts. Do the polishing yourself by busting a few thousand clays.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.