Need Opinion on Short Shotgun for Home Protection

This is a discussion on Need Opinion on Short Shotgun for Home Protection within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Living in the state of New Jersey (aren't allowed to hunt with rifles) I am looking for a 12 gauge shotgun 41 inches or less ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Opinion on Short Shotgun for Home Protection

Need Opinion on Short Shotgun for Home Protection

Living in the state of New Jersey (aren't allowed to hunt with rifles) I am looking for a 12 gauge shotgun 41 inches or less for home protection. I am considering both pump and auto feeding shotguns. With a shorter stock I'm thinking of using a reduced recoil ammo to control the recoil. What shotgun do you suggest for my situation? Thank-you for your thoughts.

2. Remove Ads

Mossberg. Inexpensive, good quality and readily available. Many accessorizes are available.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Hard to beat the Remington 870. More accessories and additions are made for this shotgun than any other. Even Mossberg makes barrels for the 870. Barrels can be easily swapped (one for hunting, one for home defense) Something you can't do with a Mossberg.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I have a Stoeger coach gun that fits my needs. Haven't shot it all that much, but it is a compact package and I have gotten somewhat fast at reloading.

I've got a Remington 870 Police 12ga shotgun, with a short 14" bbl. Did a review, back in July: click.

I like it a lot and highly recommend it. The shorter length helps with maneuverability in tighter quarters.

Inside ~30yds, it's extremely effective with the right ammo. Accurate with slugs, buckshot and reasonably so with heavy birdshot.

At 34" OAL, it's a small package. It's got a few tougher "police" parts, a tougher bluing, the lighter/shorter SpeedFeed synthetic stocks, a +1 tube extension for a 5+1 (in 2-3/4") capacity.

Since it's got a short barrel, it needs the NFA paperwork. Not a lot of folks like to do that.

You can go with the 18" bbl, though, which many think is plenty short for a "short" shotgun.

For defensive use, the Mossberg M590-A1 is also highly regarded. You can also get these in NFA/SBS format.

Whether you go Rem 870P, Mossy M590-A1, a SxS "coach" gun, or a box magazine fed Saiga, there are plenty of folks who use each type. Me, I'm partial to reliability, capacity, ease of operation, and whether gunsmiths know it and are comfortable with it. For me, the Rem 870P works.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Remington 870 or MOssberg 590. Both excellent guns.

Get a shorter barrel 18" or 20" for inside work.

Check out the Knoxx SpecOps stock with recoil reducing compression spring. It also has a gel butt stock pad for extra comfort. Use low recoil ammo for even less felt recoil. Attach a good flashlight and a remote pressure switch mounted to the receiver or forend so you can flash and scan without hands leaving the weapon.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Remington 870. You can't beat the quality, reliability, and availability of accessories. I love the 870. I have three of them and they are the best.
    "It is better to judged by 12, Than to be carried by 6"

"You ask me why I carry so much gear??? I ask you why you are not prepared?"

Same here Rem 870 or 1100, be good to go.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    At work we have the Mossberg 590 with 18" barrels to back up our Beretta 92FS (M9). At home I have a Remington 870 Wingmaster with a 20" barrel and rifle sights. If you are on a budget and want a new shotgun go with the Mossberg. If you have a bit more funds go with a Remington. If you have a lot of extra money go with a Benelli. You may also check for police trade ins. Some departments trade in their older 870's for newer semi-auto shotguns. The 870 is a great shotgun and even a trade in can be redone to bring it up to a modern configuration, but really all you need is a good shotgun and maybe a mounted flashlight. One more thing is that there are nearly unlimited aftermarket accessories for the 870.

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Barrels can be easily swapped (one for hunting, one for home defense) Something you can't do with a Mossberg.
    Strange... I can swap the barrel on my mossberg in 30-40 seconds.

Jim
    A Right not exercised, is a Right lost.

Doesn't matter the brand. Get yourself a pump, remove the spacer, and fill the magazine. Don't put one in the chamber. The firearm can now be safely stored in an accessable location as you see fit. In the unlikely event that it will be needed, there's nothing like to sound of a shotgun "shucking" to make the intruders change their mind without you ever firing a shot. Remember this: insurance policies protect valuables; firearms protect lives. Fire your weapon only in the gravest extreme.

I'm from Jersey, so you have my empathy.

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Hard to beat the Remington 870. More accessories and additions are made for this shotgun than any other. Even Mossberg makes barrels for the 870. Barrels can be easily swapped (one for hunting, one for home defense) Something you can't do with a Mossberg.
    Huh. Wonder why they sell these?
    Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

After spending quality range time with my new Saiga 12 this weekend it has replaced my Mossy 500 as my go to shotgun. It kicks like a 20ga. and is "dead" on with a slug a 50 yards offhand. There are threads about some Saigas not wanting to cycle Wally world low power ammo but mine cycled everything I fed it from the cheap 2 3/4" stuff up to 3' magnum )) buck and slugs.

Plus, it's amazingly simple to strip and clean. For those who are not familiar with a Saiga, it's basically a 12ga. AK-47. With a fairly inexpensive ($150+-) conversion from the imported sporter configuration back to the pistol grip config. it can use 5, 8, 10 or 12 round magazines as well as 20-30 round drums (a bit much, but way fun). If the prices stabilize and they don't get banned, you can't beat a Saiga. YMMV.

One thing about chambering a round in your shotgun to scare the bad guys...
    It doesnt always work.
    And when it doesnt work, you have broadcast exactly where you are to them.
    My Mossberg 500 stays chambered and safety on, my wifes remington 1100 stays chambered and safety on, my 12 ga coach gun stays chambered and hammers down, our Benelli 121 M1 stays chambered and safety on.
    The same with our handguns.
    An empty gun is an expensive club.
    You may only have seconds, why waste time.

Jim
    Last edited by Evil One; January 26th, 2009 at 04:55 PM.
    A Right not exercised, is a Right lost.

I've ordered for HD and am awaiting BATFE Form 4 clearance toward a Mossberg 590 A1 Law Enforcement 'Compact' 14" short barrel shotgun, NFA Class III.

Note: I did not choose to get the factory Speedfeed stock nor will mine have the Surefire light fore end as is shown in this pic.

The stock is standard length but easily could be replaced with a youth stock for persons with arms shorter than my own, or breasts.
    As well the barrel can be replaced with a longer 590 barrel in 18 or 20 inch length as well as those from the 500 too including a rifled hunting purpose barrel with ease. It takes less than a minute to do so if you're going at it slowly. I plan to invest in a second barrel to have on hand for it likely a 590 20 inch along with applicable size magazine tube /extension.

Highly reliable, portable, and interior residential functional.
    Expensive though between acquisition cost and the required tax stamp.
    A more normal 18" barrel combined with an aftermarket short length of pull youth stock on the receiver platform of your choice will do fine too, or simply a modern setup turkey gun for HD.
    Just be sure to stay away from grand dads field gun and such as that is FTL on the whole outside of taking a stand on your front porch if you have one.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links