Scope question

This is a discussion on Scope question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This might sound like a stupid question, but I am not a rifle guy. Im looking at getting an all around rifle or PCC and ...

Thread: Scope question

Scope question

This might sound like a stupid question, but I am not a rifle guy. Im looking at getting an all around rifle or PCC and need some help with a scope. I am right handed but left eye dominant. Is there a scope that will allow me to shoot right handed or should I just shoot lefty. I have been practicing lefty but it still is nowhere near comfortable yet.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    It really depends on what you'll be using the scope for, but I would look into parallax free models.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I may be way off base on this as I don't have your problem, but as long as you close your left eye while looking through the scope, I don't think you'll have a problem. I know most people say to keep both eyes open while using a scope, but I've never been able to and it hasn't hindered my shooting ability. When looking through a scope, you're not actually lining up multiple objects at multiple distances like when using iron sights. Think of it like looking through a camera viewfinder. When you look through a viewfinder, do you get a picture of what you see or is it off center? I really don't think you'll have a problem as long as you don't keep your left eye open and have your brain try to merge the images.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    I may be way off base on this as I don't have your problem, but as long as you close your left eye while looking through the scope, I don't think you'll have a problem. I know most people say to keep both eyes open while using a scope, but I've never been able to and it hasn't hindered my shooting ability. When looking through a scope, you're not actually lining up multiple objects at multiple distances like when using iron sights. Think of it like looking through a camera viewfinder. When you look through a viewfinder, do you get a picture of what you see or is it off center? I really don't think you'll have a problem as long as you don't keep your left eye open and have your brain try to merge the images.

Hoss
    I never thought about it like that. It makes good sense

Arr matey, use an eyepatch at the range.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Links