New ak 74........upgrades?

This is a discussion on New ak 74........upgrades? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thats a 74 not a 47. My uncle asked if I wanted 4000 rds of old ammo he had. It was 5.45x39, a caliber I ...

Thats a 74 not a 47. My uncle asked if I wanted 4000 rds of old ammo he had. It was 5.45x39, a caliber I had not considered before. I have been lusting after ak's for a while, but would not be using it for anything but range fun. (I Like shotties and pistols for HD) and I have bigger/meaner rifles with bigger holes in the end for shtf/red dawn type scenarios.

Anyway, after research, I have found that this ammo type is quite a bit cheaper than both 223 and 7.62! tin of 1080 rds for 150 shipped!

So now I have a CIA polish tantal ak74 (480 shipped with 2 mags and cheap bipod) arriving next week and you now know my reason for doing so! (So don't bother telling me I should have got a 47 instead!)

So now I'm wondering if I should upgrade it a bit. Maybe some optics and new furniture(not sure I will like the short folding stock or not)

My main question is will standard ak47 accesories work with a ak74?

Also websites with accesories/optics on the cheaper side would be great. (Don't need eotech or anything!)

thanks guys
    -mac
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

VIP Member
    Mac, wait till you get it in your hands, get some pics and post them. After that we can help to pimp your AK.

In the meantime, check this thread

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...re-thread.html
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Lets See your new gun
    Edit: I missed the fact that you don't actually have the gun in your position.
    Last edited by MiloSC; January 28th, 2009 at 11:35 PM.
    When in doubt empty the magazine.

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
    Thats a 74 not a 47. My uncle asked if I wanted 4000 rds of old ammo he had. It was 5.45x39, a caliber I had not considered before. I have been lusting after ak's for a while, but would not be using it for anything but range fun. (I Like shotties and pistols for HD) and I have bigger/meaner rifles with bigger holes in the end for shtf/red dawn type scenarios.
    Anyway, after research, I have found that this ammo type is quite a bit cheaper than both 223 and 7.62! tin of 1080 rds for 150 shipped!

So now I have a CIA polish tantal ak74 (480 shipped with 2 mags and cheap bipod) arriving next week and you now know my reason for doing so! ...-mac
    Not to rain on your AK parade, but there have been reports of SOME CIA Tantals with barrels that barely stabilize the bullets , resulting in
    very bad accuracy.

Make sure you inspect it - clean it - and test fire from a bench at
    say 50 yds.

If you get any "keyholes" in the targets - send the rifle back.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Yep have heard of the keyhole problem. Have heard that alot of earlier guns had been installed with 223 barrels on a 5.45 reciever. Hopefully they have this one right, but I will find out soon enough.

My main question is, will this gun accept ak47 accesories? I assume it will, as most bolt on goodies say something to the extent of "will fit all stamped ak varients"

Just want to be sure. And of course I will shoot about 1k rds through it before adding stuff. (2 days at the range should do it!)

oh yeah, until I Get a pic, this link will have to do.

http://www.jgsales.com/popup_image.p...54fdd6e8ffb896

cheers
    -mac
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Amen brother.....THE best advice that can be given on what to do with your new purchase.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    The link no worky for me... Aside from if you NEED flashlights and/or red dots... AKs work great out of the box... just get a decent 2 point sling and a crap load of mags...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Links