Range Report- Mossberg 930 SPX, pics

This is a discussion on Range Report- Mossberg 930 SPX, pics within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Having just picked up a new Mossberg 930 SPX I thought it might be useful to post some impressions, problems and questions. Before shooting I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range Report- Mossberg 930 SPX, pics

Range Report- Mossberg 930 SPX, pics

Having just picked up a new Mossberg 930 SPX I thought it might be useful to post some impressions, problems and questions. Before shooting I cleaned and oiled the gun, and as others have reported it was indeed very dirty.
    Having read that there is break in period I can confirm that as Ithink I may be experiencing break in blues. Ammo used for this preliminary;
    -Federal Power Shok 2 3/4" slugs
    -Fiocchi Reduced Recoil 2 3/4" slugs [ 1350 fps ]
    -Federal 7 1/2" Game Loads 2 3/4"

I started with [5] Federal Power Shok slugs in order to help the gun settle in a little. I fed one Fed Pwr Slug round at a time directly into the chamber whereupon I switched to the Fiocchi rounds and tried using the magazine tube. I loaded one round in the chamber and one in the mag and this is where I encountered my first problem, as round#2 hung up, not quite feeding from mag tube to chamber. This happened three times in a row with the Fiocchi Reduced Power Slugs- a function of the gun breaking in ?

And this leads to the second issue, though it may not even be one; the charging handle is a little loose, is it supposed to be ? Has anyone else noticed being able to slightly 'jiggle' the charging handle ? Is this normal, or is there something that needs an adjustment ?

Overall I'm very pleased with the 930 SPX in terms of ergonomics, fit and finish. VERY pleased. My shooting impressions are a little premature as I plan to try other ammo to discover which the SPX likes best. Also I'll be adding a few xtras- Choate pistol grip stock, mag extension, some kind of sling adapter and a Vang safety. I already bought the Choate but still have to find the mag ext and Vang safety.

I'd also like to know if anyone's elses charging handle also feels slightly loose,maybe that's normal. If not what do I have to do to 'tighten' mine ? Finally, what ammo you guys are successfully feeding your 930 SPX, and about how many rounds was your break in period was until you were getting consistent function, feeding, extraction ?

More to follow...

2. Remove Ads

Dump the OEM charging handle and run with 'The NOB' which is the hot upgrade many folks have been doing on the 930 SPX.

Excellent pics of it as compared to OEM can be found here; View topic - "The NOB" - MAX100's SPX bolt handle

The guy who makes them goes online by the sig "MAX100" and can be found at AR15.com as well as WEVO (Weapon Evolution) and several other forums.

- Janq is jealous
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Administrator
    Uh oh Jang, he showed you up on shopping skills. He what you've been searching for all that time

That should make a dandy HD shotgun. Congrats.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yes, he did.
    *******!!!

- :p
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    It looks just like the FN shotgun
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Range Report continued- Mossberg 930 SPX

Well, I guess the break in period is over. I shot 10 Federal '00' buck rounds today at the range, after that I fed it an equal number of the Fiocchi Reduced Power loads and heck, even a few game loads- all of them cycling slick as you know what through a goose- yea !
    The 930 SPX is indeed a very good buy and pound for pound a lot of gun for the money. I'll mount the Choate pistol grip stock tomorrow and continue ammo testing and i'll post a few additional pics.
    In the meantime does anyone know where I can order a clamp mount w/ an HK-type 'ring' sling attachment ?

I've had over 100 standard and high velocity slugs through my 930HS to 'break it in' and it still has issues with game loads, although I haven't had a chance to try my high brass rounds in it yet.

Okay, just returned from the range for another test run of the 930 SPX. At the beginning of the test I shot [5] Fed '00' rounds and [10] of the Fiocchi Reduced Loads, these all without a hitch.
    I then went to Federal 7 1/2" game loads, and of the fifty shot I had one hang up from the mag to the chamber in the first magazine full. A tap on the underneath of the elevator and it popped itself into battery. After that mishap it was smooth sailing with the game loads, no more stoppages.
    I'm getting the impression that the mag and mag spring are what require 'breaking in', and I believe starting the shooting session with heavy loads helps.
    I wonder if a lighter mag spring would address the occasional hang up w/ light loads ?

Where in the world did you find a 930 SPX? I was looking around about 2 months ago and NO ONE could track one down.
    HK45c V1

I cannot imagine a more effective HD or CQB weapon. Now another weapon goes on the wish list.
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    Where in the world did you find a 930 SPX? I was looking around about 2 months ago and NO ONE could track one down.
    Blind, dumb luck. At the same time as I was reading all of the great 930 spx reviews on line and looking for this shotgun on the internet [ no luck] I stopped by my local gun shop on the way home from the range and.... there it was. Had I not been on the hunt myself I may have passed it up or thought about it for a while- and blown it. As it was I saw it, did a double take and whipped out the plastic.
    The shop owner was even surprised that this one hid out in the gun racks as long as it did, since EVERYONE is looking for it.

Right place, right time.

Yep, locating a 930 SPX (in specific...not the other generic 930 models) is like finding a sheet of paper with the weeks correct Pick 3 numbers written on it, the day before the drawing and having it written on the paper "Play These Numbers Today!".

It's hard as hell to find one anywhere and ordering direct from Mossberg is no better as wait times are ridiculous.
    A guy on another forum I support walked into a Dick's and saw one on the shelf not knowing anything more about it than that in a thread week prior I had commented that it's an excellent find. So he bought the display model _AND_ a second they had in stock clearing them out right there in the immediate. Lucky bas....!

- Janq

VIP Member
    They have one on the shelf of my local Dick's sporting goods almost every time I go in there. I suggest you try dickssportinggoods.com
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Range Report continued- Mossberg 930 SPX

Another installment of my new 930 SPX range report, put another 25 rnds of the Fiocchi Reduced Power HP slugs and [5] five Federal full power HP slugs as a warmup. Then I shot 45 rnds of Federal 7 1/2" game loads, all of them but one[ again in the first mag full, a slight tap on the bottom of the elevator sent the round on its way to the barrel chamber ]- fed, chambered and shot without incident.
    I added an Eagle butt stock ammo carrier as, at least to date there is no receiver mounted ammo carrier [ a la 870]. I like this unit because it has a nice cheek pad, a practical and useful addition.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    They have one on the shelf of my local Dick's sporting goods almost every time I go in there. I suggest you try dickssportinggoods.com
    Not around me.....
    HK45c V1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links