Remington 870 barrel removal

This is a discussion on Remington 870 barrel removal within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm the proud new owner of a Remington 870 (see attached pic). Anyway, I was running through the manual and decided to strip it down ...

Thread: Remington 870 barrel removal

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar

I'm the proud new owner of a Remington 870 (see attached pic).

Anyway, I was running through the manual and decided to strip it down for the initial cleaning. I got the magazine tube's cap off, and ran smack into a wall. I cannot get the barrel off! I've watched a few video's on youtube of folks dissembling their 870's, and it always looks like the barrel comes off with little effort.

So is this just an issue with it being new? I pulled pretty hard and even gave the barrel a few whacks with my open palm right where it meets the receiver to see if that would loosen it up. No good. Help!
    Attached Images
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

I believe you have to rack the slide to release the barrell. You have to push the button by the trigger guard to be able to rack thes slide. Try it and see..

OK....dumb question....did you remove the clamp that holds the barrel to the magazine? This is the clamp near the end of the barrell that has the sling stud on it. If that is removed, the barrell should pop off easily.

Major
    Every day's a holiday and every meal's a feast!

RetiredMajor
    NRA Certified Instructor

Remove the barrel clamp, and pull the slide about half way back.

The rear of the fore-end should be about even with the front of the receiver.

Dauff

I have the slide racked about half way back. There are two points attaching the magazine and barrel. The farthest forward has the sling swivel (see the pic) and has been removed. The second is at the end of the slide, and is welded to the barrel.

Still no-go.
    Last edited by lacrosse50; January 29th, 2009 at 08:35 PM. Reason: spelling
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

unscrew the mag cap, remove the barrel/ext mag clamp, open the action. it should come off. now if has never been taken off before, it will be hard for the first time. give the barrel a little turn, working it side ways back and fourth to break it free. add some oil where the barrel meets the receiver. just work on it, it is stuck.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Thanks, that's what I was thinking but this is my first shotgun (never even fired one...yet ). I'll just keep working on it. Worst case I'll clean it as best I can and take it to the range. Maybe it'll break lose while I'm breaking it in.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    You said you were a new shotgun owner, but did not specify that the shotgun is new. Did you buy it as a used/pre-owned gun? A previous owner may have bedded or permanently attached the barrel to increase accuracy with slugs. One company used to build the DSG, for Designated Slug Gun, on the 870, and permanently attach the barrels. Alternatively, poor maintenance may have caused the barrel and frame to corrode, in effect welding them together.

One more thing; make sure you are trying to separate the barrel from the frame at the correct point; there is a ring that surrounds the mag tube, upon which the magazine cap fastens; don't try to rip that ring off the barrel! It stays attached.

Rexster, thanks for the tips. It's a new gun, and I'm new to shotguns in general. I'm thinking it's just tight because it's new. I've been using that ring (among other area's) to try and get a grip while removing the barrel. I'm going to take it to the range this weekend, bruise the heck out of my shoulder (i bruise like a peach ) and see if all the shaking and whatnot doesn't help break something lose.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Did you buy it at a local store? If so, just take it back and ask them to show you how to remove the barrel.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Have you tried holding onto the barrel and tapping the end of the magazine tube with a rubber mallet? Your barrel should dislodge doing what you have already done. The slide/bolt should be all the way back. After having a former Mossberg 500 and an Ithaca 37, my current 870 Express is rather easily disassembled.
    How to Disassemble, Clean, and Reassemble a Remington 870 | LearnAboutGuns.com*
    If you ever need a fore arm dis-assembly tool, look me up.

VIP Member
    1) Pull the slide 1/3 to the rear till resistance is felt.
    2) Unscrew the magazine cap.
    3) Grip the barrel forward of the slide grip and pull straight out.
    4) Depress loading gate with thumb by pressing upward
    5) Feel spring on inside of frame with thumb, forward of loading gate and depress
    6) Pull slide and bolt assembly out

To remove magazine plug and spring...
    7) Insert regular screwdriver 1/4" into slot at top of magazine tub depressing slightly, then twist - it should pop right out

Absolutely no force is required. That is all there is to it!

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    1) Pull the slide 1/3 to the rear till resistance is felt.
    2) Unscrew the magazine cap.
    3) Grip the barrel forward of the slide grip and pull straight out.
    4) Depress loading gate with thumb by pressing upward
    5) Feel spring on inside of frame with thumb, forward of loading gate and depress
    6) Pull slide and bolt assembly out

To remove magazine plug and spring...
    7) Insert regular screwdriver 1/4" into slot at top of magazine tub depressing slightly, then twist - it should pop right out

Absolutely no force is required. That is all there is to it!
    Great instructions for a standard 870 but his has a mag tube extension that has a clamp,but after loosening and removing the clamp the barrel should come out
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links