Picked up something new today...

This is a discussion on Picked up something new today... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The price was right and I couldn't resist. Mosin Nagant M91/30. Mine was made in '44. Bore is in excellent condition as is the rest ...

Thread: Picked up something new today...

Picked up something new today...

The price was right and I couldn't resist.

Mosin Nagant M91/30.

Mine was made in '44. Bore is in excellent condition as is the rest of the rifle. All matching serial #'s.

They had three others sitting together out in front...this one was off by itself in the back...definitely the best of the three. I think the guy wanted it for himself. Came with the cleaning kit, bayonet, and all that too.

Can't shoot it just yet because I crushed my left hand at work the other day which makes typing this post, let alone shooting anything, pretty difficult.

Can't wait until I can though!

Anyone have any insight/thoughts about these? I know the history of them, but I'm curious to know how their reliability/durability is. Must be pretty good is it could survive Russia's climate.

I also am aware that the 7.62x54r ammo is corrosive, I bought a bottle of Windex especially for that purpose.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Es nice! I have never owned one, but everyone I've known who has has loved it and said it was near indestructible.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Must....stop.... the jealous.... feelings... coming.... over.... me... now.....

Man that's sweet.

What was the cost??
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

I paid $130 for it.

Really itching to try it out...
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

130 is an excellent price

I like the Mosin Nagant. My son has one. It's a potent rifle and a unique bolt action design. Yours should be relatively pleasant to fire. The little M44 carbines are a handful but may be tamed through attention to proper stock placement in the shoulder.

Thanks for the comments guys. I've been doing some reading on it and getting to know it better, so to speak. I want to be able to completely disassemble it and put it back together again for maintenance/cleaning. I plan on buying about 800 rounds in a couple of weeks and having this as one of my go-to guns for SHTF. Can't beat a tough old bolt action rifle.

In the meantime though, I'll just shoot the snot out of it and see if the shockwave of my bullet going downrange really will knock over other people's targets, as I read under Mosin Nagant humor somewhere.

Well, I have been spending some free time cleaning it up. I made the bolt and all shine and removed the nicks from the wood.

I also found out something neat...mine isn't just a regular M91/30, it is an ex-sniper rifle.

Plugged holes for scope mounts:

X'ed out serial # for the scope:

I don't know what this does to the collectability or value of it, but it's interesting for sure!

Links