My Day At The Range WIth My First AR....An M4 A1 Bushmaster Carbine

This is a discussion on My Day At The Range WIth My First AR....An M4 A1 Bushmaster Carbine within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know, I know, it's a Bushmaster, generally considered one of the lowest end, poorly built AR's out there. Well according to what I have ...

Thread: My Day At The Range WIth My First AR....An M4 A1 Bushmaster Carbine

I know, I know, it's a Bushmaster, generally considered one of the lowest end, poorly built AR's out there. Well according to what I have read at several other forums I frequent, they can be made to be dependable and a decent gun, that shoots fairly accurately. First, I torqued and restaked the gas key cap screws, though I did not replace them with larger ones per the suggestion of one post I read. I also retorqued and staked the castle nut as suggested. Two major problems according to what I read here. My next change is to the extractor spring setup. I reassembled the gun and headed to the range with a 200 round value pack of American Eagle Tactical 55gr. 5.56 x 45 FMJ's.

I walked out to the 50yard backstop and stuck an 8" Shoot-N-C target on the panel and went back to the shooting line. I loaded 10 rounds and split the orange bullseye dot with the top of the front sight, and centered it as best I could in the center of the rear A1 style peep. I then shot all 10 rounds from a standing position, using the strap wrapped around my left elbow to stabilize the gun. I am new to AR's I don't know what is considered to be a good shooting rifle, but I am very pleased with the results. I read somewhere that the Bushmaster is a decent entry level rifle and I believe I agree with that opinion. With the 200 rounds I put through the rifle today, I now have 350 total and no malfunctions or misfires. Here is the result of that 10 shot effort.

The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Lead Moderator
    Looks like it works. Not sure where you heard Bushmaster was a low end AR maker. All I have seen work well and are decent guns.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have never heard that Bushmaster is a low quality AR. Maybe not top of the line but second tier for sure. And you didn't pay top of the line price either, I'll bet ($2000). I know people who have them and they are pleased.

In the overall scheme of all things AR, I was thinking that Bushmaster was considered to be pretty good. Looks like fine shooting standing to me.

I'm a Bushmaster fan myself! Good for you, and take what you hear with a grain of salt. You've done very well IMO, and things will only get better the way I see it. As far as the extractor goes, you may want to check into the Defender 'D'ring, or the newer factory 'O'rings if you're really worried about that. Happy shooting...be safe!

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I have been very happy with my Bushmaster, and I havn't done a thing other than put an Eotech on top of it.

They are definately not bottom of the pile guns.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I have a Bushy I bought the day they voted on the AWB waaaay back when. No complaints at all. It gives respectable accuracy and it has gone bang every time I asked it to. What more can you ask?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I saw your post on THR as well and decided to comment here. I've never heard Bushmaster referred to as "low end" or "poorly built". I have to purchase my own weapons and my patrol rifle is a Bushmaster C15M4, the carbon fiber model. I've had it for a couple of years now and it has proven to be rugged, 100% reliable, and very accurate with a variety of ammo. I've never had to do anything but routine maintenance to it. The local S.O. recently purchased a number of new Bushmasters for their road deputies and they've been very happy with them as well.

I'm glad that your rifle is proving itself to be accurate and reliable, I would have expected nothing less from it.

Administrator
    There is nothing wrong with a Bushmaster.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I have a 2003 Bushmaster and love it. Not bottom of the barrel at all. It'll bring you years of enjoyment.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

VIP Member
    Not that Bushmaster is a "low end" carbine or poorly built but rather, they don't follow the carbine technical data package (TDP) which Colt and FN (and others) follows, and some, such as Noveske, exceed (especially in the area of barrels). It's obvious that Colt follows it because Colt owns the TDP license.

That said, my first AR is a Bushmaster; but it is joined with other stuff.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I checked at several gunshops before purchasing my bushmaster.
    They all said they were very good guns.Everyone has opinions but
    I felt very good about my purchase and that's all that matters.

BAC
    You've already checked the carrier key staking (should look like this), castle nut staking (should look like this), and the extractor spring (should be black insert). Good on you. Bushmaster traditionally doesn't stake anything and uses a weaker extractor spring (will have a blue insert). Since you have an A2 upper receiver you don't have to worry about the FSB height. Make sure your buffer is a CAR buffer.

Enjoy your rifle!

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

I have the Bushmaster XM15-E2S (pictured below) and just love it. It runs every round I put through it and it is highly accurate. I also have a Stag M4 upper on a Bushmaster lower and likewise, it is an excellent frankengun.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Nothing wrong with Bushmaster, in general, and I would inspect ANY brand of AR closely, particularly for proper extraction and ejector spring tension, and how well the bolt carrier key is staked. Colt quality is indeed high, but not high enough to justify the insane asking prices I have seen lately for some models.

I like Bushmaster because they build the Dissipator, which is on my short list as a new upper unit, if not a whole rifle, when I have the funds to place an order. ( I expect the wait will be long, of course.) I like the rifle-length sight radius, with the carbine-length barrel, and the Bushy Dissipator is the least-complicated path to that goal.

Sponsored Links