AR Lowers?

AR Lowers?

This is a discussion on AR Lowers? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I'm contemplating selling a mini-14 and using that cash to build an AR. I know a lot of people who use rifles for a ...

Thread: AR Lowers?

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar

AR Lowers?

So I'm contemplating selling a mini-14 and using that cash to build an AR. I know a lot of people who use rifles for a living aren't fond of kit builds... but my hard use rifle is an AK, and this would be more just to say I have an AR. I'm actually wanting to "build" it (I know there's not much to it if you buy an assembled upper) just cuz I like doing things with my hands...

Anyway, everywhere I see people talk about kit guns they say, "get a lower" and then talk about all the options you have for uppers... Are lowers pretty much all the same then? No one seems to recommend one over the other... about all I've found out is that LMT makes DPMS lowers and some other big name makes RRA lowers... But is there much of a difference between them, or should I just look for the best deal I can find on one?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    Anyway, everywhere I see people talk about kit guns they say, "get a lower" and then talk about all the options you have for uppers... Are lowers pretty much all the same then?
    Yes and no. LMT might manufacture the lowers that are eventually sent to other companies, but they make them to the companies' submitted specs and the companies are the ones who ultimately accept or reject the orders. Most lowers are fine, from most companies, but some companies have higher rates of out of spec lowers than others (purely a function of quality control and rejection standards). If you can find one at a reasonable price these days, grab it regardless of what it is. If nothing else, you can sell it later on. If you can find one by LMT, Mega, Noveske, RRA, Sabre Defense, or Stag (off the top of my head I don't remember any other generally good to go brands, but there's probably a couple more), these tend to have the least problems of out-of-spec lowers.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Awesome... Thanks for the advice... now question 2:

Where does one generally look for lowers? Is this something my local gun shop would carry? Is gunbroker a good start... or should I just look with those actual companies?

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Other than the few Rifle MFGs that make their own upper
    and lower receivers, they are all made by a Vendor co.

Only the stampings and engravings are different.
    Pretty much the same with the lower internal parts also.

All forged lowers are pretty much the same quality.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    So I'm contemplating selling a mini-14 and using that cash to build an AR. I know a lot of people who use rifles for a living aren't fond of kit builds... but my hard use rifle is an AK, and this would be more just to say I have an AR. I'm actually wanting to "build" it (I know there's not much to it if you buy an assembled upper) just cuz I like doing things with my hands...

Anyway, everywhere I see people talk about kit guns they say, "get a lower" and then talk about all the options you have for uppers... Are lowers pretty much all the same then? No one seems to recommend one over the other... about all I've found out is that LMT makes DPMS lowers and some other big name makes RRA lowers... But is there much of a difference between them, or should I just look for the best deal I can find on one?
    If you assemble an upper from scratch you will have more cost in the gun not to mention needing receiver blocks and an AR barrel nut wrench and torque wrench,and possibly head space gauges.Most companies offer kits that you can select from different components for your rifle build.Del-Ton,Model 1 sales, JT distributing etc.
    As far as selling your mini 14 and having enough money to build an AR15,good luck with that
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yup, I'm looking at kits with an assembled upper... If I enjoy the process and the platform I'll consider getting the tools and building my own upper down the road...

BAC
    Lower receivers can be had from manufacturers and their distributors, from Gunbroker (not advised), from gun shows (not advised), and from classifieds on forums. Gunbroker and gun shows routinely charge considerably more than classifieds and manufacturers and distributors. All of mine have come direct from the manufacturers.

Keep in mind that some companies don't like their lowers being sold stripped, and distributors are only allowed to sell them as complete lowers; LMT has this policy, though there are occasional stripped lowers that find their way into the market now and then.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

For lower receivers checkout:

Home

10 days to your door, at least in my case ;)

Senior Moderator
    I'm actually wanting to "build" it (I know there's not much to it if you buy an assembled upper) just cuz I like doing things with my hands...
    If you really like using your hands and you have the proper tools, try this...
    a blank lower.

Can be had for 25 bucks...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links