Deciding what rifle to buy: Sig 556 vs ar15 vs ak47

This is a discussion on Deciding what rifle to buy: Sig 556 vs ar15 vs ak47 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yeah, I'm having trouble figuring out which to get. I have about $1000 to work with and I'd like to buy an semi auto in ...

View Poll Results: Which would you buy for around $1000

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • AR-15

56 47.06%
  • AK-47

17 14.29%
  • Sig 556

39 32.77%
  • Other (what and why)

7 5.88%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deciding what rifle to buy: Sig 556 vs ar15 vs ak47

Deciding what rifle to buy: Sig 556 vs ar15 vs ak47

Yeah,
    I'm having trouble figuring out which to get. I have about $1000 to work with and I'd like to buy an semi auto in 5.56 or 7.62. Between the three, which would you buy and why. OR if there is something else you would spend the money on, list it but also include why.

My collection so far:
    Remington 870 express super magnum (12ga)
    Remington model 7 (.308)
    Calico m100s (.22)

Thanks for any and all information!

2. Remove Ads

Just got my AR-15 before the election and price increase.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

If that's the $ amount you have to work with, go with the AK and spend whatever is left over on mags and ammo.

Why? they're reliable, simple to operate, capable of handling just about any problem you're realistically likely to encounter. Also, the ammo is quite a bit cheaper than .223/5.56 and the mags can still be found for around $15.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    If that's the $ amount you have to work with, go with the AK and spend whatever is left over on mags and ammo.

Why? they're reliable, simple to operate, capable of handling just about any problem you're realistically likely to encounter. Also, the ammo is quite a bit cheaper than .223/5.56 and the mags can still be found for around $15.
    Hmm, interesting point. Cheaper ammo is a definite plus. I was thinking I want quality though. I've heard that not all AR's an AK's are created equal by their respective makers. Still I feel partial to the AR for the upgradeability and the accessories. All 3 are close calls though for me.

VIP Member
    Buy the one you like. If you get a great deal on a rifle you don't like then you lost your money.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Moderator
    Since you already have a .308 I would by a M1A of FAL or PTR-91 or CETME.

Then you have a EBR in .308 and use the same ammo in 2 guns
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

VIP Member
    The choice for me was easy. Sig 556 all the way, definately more money, but worth every penny! A buddy bought a bushmaster AR-15 and likes it, all together about 1100.00 My 556 was around 1400.00, he likes his gun and loves mine. I'm sold on Sig, the quality is the biggest factor for me. However, the same gun isn't perfect for everyone. You have to buy the best one for YOU.

I have a Colt AR but that new Sig is awfully nice with the new gas piston system instead of the direct impingement like the AR. Plus they have a nifty looking pistol version.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I love my bushmaster m-4 but if I had the money I would have bought the Sig 556 its an Ar and Ak all in one and a hell of alot of fun to shoot
    Sig P220R .45ACP
    Taurus PT92 9mm
    Rem 870 12ga.
    Bushmaster M-4 .223/5.56
    HK P2000 9mm
    Glock 31 .357

Lead Moderator
    SIG 556, the gas piston makes it the best of both (AR & AK) worlds!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator
    Well, I'll be honest with you and not just tell you what I like.

With $1k to spend, its my opinion that you cannot afford the Sig or a quality AR without almost doubling your budget for the 556 or adding 50% for the AR. The AR will cost you pretty much the entire grand, and the Sig is well over the grand mark.
    The reason I say you cannot afford either is because you have to factor in an ammo supply, mags, parts and any other trinkets you might want or need.

With an AK, you can still find a decent AK within your budget and have a good start on buying mags, parts and ammo.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    If you have any shooting buddies, get them to bring their toys out to the range, pay for their ammo and see what is what.

That being said, I am a huge fan of the AR platform. Eugene Stoner was a smart guy. I am always reading people putting the AR down... unreliable, runs dirty, needs piston system, 5.56 is underpowered, blah, blah, blah. My limited experience has been the opposite. It is also by far the most comfortable gun I have got to shoot.

I recently bought a LMT M-4 for around $1200. Ordering to delivery time was about 10 weeks. It is the most solid AR i have ever seen. If you want an AR, buy a LTM or CMMG.

Lewis Machine & Tool Company :: www.lewismachine.net

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Well, I'll be honest with you and not just tell you what I like.

With $1k to spend, its my opinion that you cannot afford the Sig or a quality AR without almost doubling your budget for the 556 or adding 50% for the AR. The AR will cost you pretty much the entire grand, and the Sig is well over the grand mark.
    The reason I say you cannot afford either is because you have to factor in an ammo supply, mags, parts and any other trinkets you might want or need.

With an AK, you can still find a decent AK within your budget and have a good start on buying mags, parts and ammo.
    +1! An AK can still be had for about 500 bucks. That will leave you 200 bucks for about a dozen good mags and $200+ for 750 to1000 rounds of ammo. The truth is you missed the AR15 boat by about a year and a half. Get on the AK boat while you still can
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Out of your list, I would go with the SIG 556, but as SIXTO has already said, it is outside of your stated budget.

What is it that you are looking for? Caliber? Varmint/small game gun? SHTF gun? Fun plinker?

There are other options out there for .223, although I am not really aware of any other options in 7.62x39.

If you are looking for something that is specifically .223 you could also consider the Ruger Mini-14. No, it is not an AR and does not have the accuracy of the AR, but the newer ones do have acceptable accuracy (~2 MOA), they are very reliable and are a “blast” to shoot. For $1000 you could get one of these along with several 20 round magazines, other accessories and ammo.

I think somebody, Remington maybe, also makes a pump action .223 rifle now, that could be almost as fast as semi-auto for somebody who spends the time to practice.

IF you can find a Sig 556 for around a grand, you'd better snap it up. They are nowhere near that price (but they are awesome rifles).

If all you have is a grand, I'd suggest looking around for as good an AK as you can find for the money. A good AR is going to cost you more than that, and the Sig is simply out of your price range.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links