AK47 reliability hinges on a paper clip

This is a discussion on AK47 reliability hinges on a paper clip within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just want to vent a bit of frustration with you guys. I took out my 'new-to-me' SAR-1 and within two magazines, it threw off ...

Thread: AK47 reliability hinges on a paper clip

I just want to vent a bit of frustration with you guys. I took out my 'new-to-me' SAR-1 and within two magazines, it threw off the shepherd's hook, causing a very wobbly trigger group. It still 'kinda' functioned, but caused a double and I decided it was time to pack it away for the day.

I took it home, tore it apart, and figured out exactly what was going on, and did my best to fix it. I now have the shepherd's hook installed in a different way (see image, method 3) which hopefully makes it functional and reliable again.

I guess I'm just a bit disappointed in the AK design, that's so reliable, yet there are so many people that have problems with them. That, and the AK relies on such a small, easy to bend, easy to jump out of position, little paper clip of a part.

I know that there are alternatives, and I plan on getting a retaining plate, either from Red Star Arms, or Tapco, but most places I've looked want to charge as much shipping as the part costs.

Oh, and I need to do some serious work on zeroing the Kobra sight that came with it. It wasn't hitting paper plates at 25 feet.

I guess that's it. Thanks for listening.

Thats why I say BUY AMERICAN.....

Nobody lights people up like we do.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    Do yourself a favor: Sell the Kobra to some AK nut that wants a very expensive but outdated system and get yourself into a AK Iron Dot from LaRue Tactical
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I'll take that up for consideration. I've seen the Iron Dot, and selling the Kobra would give me just about enough cash to purchase one.

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post

I have a small stash of 7.62x39 that won me over to buying an AK. I can have the AK and SKS share, which is a nice plus. I was seriously looking at a CMMG middy or HBAR carbine, but I think I got a good deal on my SAR-1 (700 for rifle, 4 mags, and the Kobra).

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ellerblr View Post
    I guess I'm just a bit disappointed in the AK design, that's so reliable, yet there are so many people that have problems with them.

It wasn't hitting paper plates at 25 feet.
    GASP!!!

Such a thing is not possible! (...while lovingly stroking my LMT AR)

Hope you get the kinks worked out...

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.

Yep and its good for our economy

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post

Love my M1a but adore my DPMS AP4 in .308, except for magazine capacity gotta love the .308 .... learn to shoot and shoot big bullets.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I can hit paper plates at 25 feet with one eye closed,and no sights
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I can hit paper plates at 25 feet with one eye closed,and no sights
    I think you missed the point. The Kobra was just not calibrated, and therefore around a foot high at 25 feet.

Now that I've got the walking pins taken care of, maybe I can make it through more than one magazine and get it sighted in correctly. (Or I get one of those Iron Dots)

glad that you fixed it yourself. let us know if it works. it should with out any problems.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ellerblr View Post
    I just want to vent a bit of frustration with you guys. I took out my 'new-to-me' SAR-1 and within two magazines, it threw off the shepherd's hook, causing a very wobbly trigger group. It still 'kinda' functioned, but caused a double and I decided it was time to pack it away for the day.
    I took it home, tore it apart, and figured out exactly what was going on, and did my best to fix it. I now have the shepherd's hook installed in a different way (see image, method 3) which hopefully makes it functional and reliable again.

I guess I'm just a bit disappointed in the AK design, that's so reliable, yet there are so many people that have problems with them. That, and the AK relies on such a small, easy to bend, easy to jump out of position, little paper clip of a part.
    I know that there are alternatives, and I plan on getting a retaining plate, either from Red Star Arms, or Tapco, but most places I've looked want to charge as much shipping as the part costs.
    Oh, and I need to do some serious work on zeroing the Kobra sight that came with it. It wasn't hitting paper plates at 25 feet.
    I guess that's it. Thanks for listening.
    Millions of Full Auto capable AKS have been in service worldwide for over 50 years using that "paperclip"

The fact that you had a problem with yours may just mean you need
    MORE TRAINING than the average Third World Teenager.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    Millions of Full Auto capable AKS have been in service worldwide for over 50 years using that "paperclip"

The fact that you had a problem with yours may just mean you need
    MORE TRAINING than the average Third World Teenager. .
    This is actually of interest to me, because by my understanding, Full Auto AKMs have a third pin to be held in place by this device. I wonder how the design has been changed to accommodate Semi-auto variants.

It probably didn't help that Century Arms didn't have the shepherd's hook installed correctly either.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    From what I've been told, the real AK's (full-auto) don't use the Shepherd's Crook because there's another spring (hammer release spring, IIRC) that also serves to retain the pins.

wish I'd checked when I got to play with a full-auto a few months ago but didn't think about it...
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Kreb's just released their version of the retaining plate; get one, it's the best of the three options.
    Welcome to Krebs Custom - Custom Parts - Kalashnikov Rifle Parts

I wouldn't necesarily say you have a "training" issue. Most AKs will see a dribble of used motor oil and whizz down the barrel for maintenance- maybe a spray of chicken or goat blood, depending on the blessing rites of the region in which one happens to be.

If you plan on being able to detail and maintain your weapon, the G2 trigger (which I assume you already have), the retaining plate (again, Kreb's has the most "spring" and thickest body), a Phantom flash hider and a decent pull-through cleaning kit will do the most for your accuracy and ease of care.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    If you plan on being able to detail and maintain your weapon, the G2 trigger (which I assume you already have), the retaining plate (again, Kreb's has the most "spring" and thickest body), a Phantom flash hider and a decent pull-through cleaning kit will do the most for your accuracy and ease of care.
    Thanks for the link to Krebs. I've heard of them before, and always in good light. I don't have a Tapco G2 trigger unit. I believe it to be a generic Century built trigger group, but it breaks much more crisply than I expected. Maybe my SKS trigger got me used to long grainy pulls (gotta think more about sending it to Kaavari). Unfortunately, my muzzle is not threaded for a brake/hider, so one of those isn't in my immediate future. I realize that it's possible to get it done, but it's on the low end of the list of things to do.

Ammo is my concern right now, I have around 1k of Wolf 124gr hollowpoint, but I know that i 'need more.'

p.s. Just bought a car that needs a bit of work, and I think it takes precedence. ('89 Probe GT)

Sponsored Links