Hi Point 995 and ATI Stock - An ongoing review

This is a discussion on Hi Point 995 and ATI Stock - An ongoing review within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It has been just over a month since I received my ATI stock for my Hi Point 995 Carbine due to the generosity of one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi Point 995 and ATI Stock - An ongoing review

Hi Point 995 and ATI Stock - An ongoing review

It has been just over a month since I received my ATI stock for my Hi Point 995 Carbine due to the generosity of one of our members, Scot Van who is the District Sales Manager for Advanced Technology International, LLC (ATI).

This thread is intended to be an ongoing review of the replacement stock offered by ATI. The issue regarding the stock is not the form and function, but rather the long-term effects the stock has on the rifle itself.

With that in mind, I am gonna post a comprehensive review of the stock itself, the installation process, and the long-term effects of the stock on the rifle.

So, here we go ...

Appearance
    The ATI stock is clearly a take-off the Barretta's design for their pistol carbine, and from Scot's own words, ATI "paid dearly" for the design. And I think it was worth every penny. The stock is leaps and bounds more asthetically appealing for the rifle as the factory stock is just ... well, there are no other polite words ... UGLY.

Most of the stocks I have seen floating around the internet displayed a gray stock so I was pleasantly surprised to find an all-black stock when I opened the box. It matches great with the receiver shroud and makes the rifle and stock look like they were made for each other (ok, the pitting of the receiver didn't make it look that good, but that's another project ).

The ATI stock is great the way it is, but I have a few suggestions for improvement. (Hey, I have an opinion just like everyone else )
    1) remove the piece that goes from the bottom of he grip to the bottom of the stock ... it just isn't necessary, and think impedes fast hand to grip contact in stressful situations.

2) remove some of the "depth" (top to bottom) from the rear of the stock. This stock has a good deal of "bulk" both horizontally and vertically. The stock is rather "tall" in the rear and there is a ton of shoulder/stock contact that is unnecessary and likely makes it difficult to shoot for small-framed people. Plus, this would give the rifle a more sleek appearance, and reduce some of the weight.

Functionality
    The ATI stock is primarily a one-piece design except for the barrel cover. There are no cracks along the top of the stock to pinch and grab your face (or beard in my case) causing pain and a tendency for flinching in anticipation of the pain.

Installation
    Installation was quick and easy thanks to the clear instructions provided by ATI. The only issue in the installation process, and this is well know by all who have one, was the miss-alignment of the mounting holes for the receiver shroud. Apparently this is a consistent problem. To solve the problem, I simply inserted one retaining bolt in whichever hole was lined up correctly (in my case it was the rear one) and then used a drill bit to remove a bit of material from the stock at the other end and the other bolt slid right in.

Here is a couple of pictures of the finished product. The first one is inside and the glare of the receiver is evident - in the second photo, an outside shot shows how well the receiver blends in with the stock under natural light conditions.

Performance
    Before I installed the ATI stock, I was getting 2.5" groups at 25 yards with cheap 115gr practice ammo and 124gr Speer Gold Dots. Now, that was from a rest using a cheap (and I do mean cheap) red dot scope you see in the pictures. After installation, I had a significant POI change, but the groups were just as tight.

Now, my next goal in this ongoing review, is to expend lots of rounds thru this rifle and continue to watch for issues surrounding performance of the rifle related to the stock itself.

Watch for updates and feel free to ask questions. I'll do my best to answer them.

Jerry

2. Remove Ads

I just got an ATI stock delivered today ,I ordered one after I bought a Carbine from Buds,My dealer called and said my gun is in so I planned that perfect.I will be putting some handloaded 125 Grn lead bullets thru it tomorrow
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

ATI stocks for these are great. Should be first on the list if you own one.

I've got a bunch of rounds through mine with no issues.

Look forward to hearing your long term test with it.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I received one of the stocks from Scott and am in the process of swapping
    and testing. We have had horrible weather and have been without power for two weeks so I'm running behind on posting. The stock makes your carbines look great guys!!!!!
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Latest update - 3-22-09

I now have over 1000 rounds of various sorts thru the Hi Point with the ATI stock.

I have disassembled the rifle twice to check for wear points, galling, or any cracks in the stock itself.

There are none ... nothing, nada, zilch ...

This is a top of the line stock!

Wow! I thaught the hi-point carbines were destined to always be ugly as sin but not with this stock! I might just buy one now.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

I got one and bought the ATI stock,gun shoots great and makes a great SD carbine,It's cheap enough if you ever use It and It gets taken for evidence It's not that big a hit
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

Glad to hear the stock has been well received, all. The above suggestions have been mentioned to the R&D guys at ATI, and we're always up for ways to improve the products we offer.

I'll check in here from time to time to see what the progress is. Meantime, back to work on the replacement stock for the Remington 700...
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

I dropped another 500 rounds in the Hi Point this weekend - they were some reloads I put together made up of some 124gr cast bullets I poured myself and a healthy dose of Win WSF.

Again, not a single malfunction.

I was hitting some 2.5" steel targets on my home range with boring consistency.

Total round count - 1500 with zero issues with the ATI Stock.

My wife shot the HiPoint with ATI stock and a bushnell red dot sight and my 125grn lead reloads,at 15 yards she was shooting the bullseye out of the target,at 15 yards she was still putting them in the bullseye and 10 ring consistently,the 995 with ATI stock not only looks cool but the gun shoots great with 0 malfunctions

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post
    Glad to hear the stock has been well received, all. The above suggestions have been mentioned to the R&D guys at ATI, and we're always up for ways to improve the products we offer.

I'll check in here from time to time to see what the progress is. Meantime, back to work on the replacement stock for the Remington 700...
    Any chance of one for a Rem. 742?
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I like shooting my hi-point, better then my AR. It might be a cha ching thing though :)

Quote Originally Posted by thebigdl86 View Post
    Wow! I thaught the hi-point carbines were destined to always be ugly as sin but not with this stock! I might just buy one now.

It does look nice

I do think the carbines could be a good alternative
    for a HD gun also.

They come in 9mm and .40 right? I can see someone
    wanting this over a shotgun for recoil. Plus if you have
    a pump..it takes a second before the next round..with
    the rifle just pull the trigger again.

I have been curious about the Hi Point carbines for some
    time. I am just not a big fan of the pistols.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    For the OP:

You mentioned removing the strap that extends from the grip to the butt stock. I believe there is a very good reason that strap is there, and you just may NOT want it removed. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that the design makes the stock a "thumb hole stock" rather than the evil "pistol grip stock". Consider previous legislation and proposed legislation. It may not really be that big a deal now though as I seem to remember seeing thumb hole designs now lumped in with the evil pistol grip stocks anyway.

Just a thought.

surv

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links