Defensive Carry banner

AR-15 suggestions

2K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  nutz4utwo 
#1 ·
I'm looking at ordering an AR either a rifle or a kit/parts. I know there is hundreds of manufactures out there that make quality products and I've seen several of them mentioned in the posts. What I'm wondering is there any particular companies (manufacturer or dealer) that I should stay away from or you've had problems with. I'm not looking to bash any companies I just want to spend my money on a quality product with good customer service.

Thanks
jamierah

#4 ·
I've got an order with Rock River for their rifle kit. Been since mid November. Sounds like they're good and back ordered. My receivers from Sun Devil mfg finally arrived and look 99% perfect (tiny blemish on the finish inside).

If you want a rifle anytime soon you'll probably have to pay a big premium to buy an assembled one. The RRA complete rifle kits come with their two stage trigger that everyone likes, which is why I ordered it. Expensive trigger kit if you have to buy it separately.

#6 ·
Have you tried using the search function? This has been covered... a lot.

That 'someone' is correct, and Bushmasters are only 'excellent' if you fail to compare them to other brands.

-B

#11 ·
All AR's are essentially the same. There is only a few companies who do forgings and even fewer who do milled lowers. The difference between a $700 frankenrifle and a $1100 name brand is only the name. Build up something nice for $700 and use the money you save to buy ammo.

BAC will disagree but most of us just need a battle rifle to do medium duty and will never go into battle with it. If you want a war horse get an AK, otherwise get a modestly priced AR and a few goodies.

#13 ·
You're right, I disagree. I'm glad our government disagrees, too, and sets minimum standards that the rifles they issue must meet and doesn't settle for issuing the cheapest it can get. Unfortunately, only a couple companies are known for actually trying to exceed TDP specs when building an AR-type rifle (Noveske is the first that comes to mind), so unlike in many industries, .gov specs are actually quite meaningful in the rifle world.

For the average gun owner, I absolutely agree that the Bushmaster "class" of rifles is sufficient. For people who want cheap beater, plinker, or project guns, you could even throw the more problematic rifles on that list. The issue I take is when certain companies intentionally cut corners where they shouldn't be cut and charge as if they weren't cut. New companies like ADS, CD Defense, and Henderson Defense will go far in the AR world because of the poorer practices of the larger and better known companies.

-B

#14 ·
If you have the time and desire for a ground-up build, you could get one of the kits from Sarco, btwn 450-500 I believe, minus the lower rec. I had good luck with a 20" A1 kit from them a few years ago, GI surplus parts, have had zero problems with it, makes for a cool retro plinker for less than 700 total. IIRC, they also now sell M4 kits with 16" barrels, but dont know much info bout them.

#18 ·
I've got an Lewis and Machine Tool M-4 Defender and it is an excellent rifle. I would happily buy a CMMG rifle as well.

A note about AR's being milspec: Some manufactures use odd size pins and buffer tubes (where the stock attaches) to differentiate between military models and civilian models. These are no big deal if you plan to leave things the way they are, but if you plan to accesorize your rifle, it helps to have standard sized parts.

Decide what sort of AR you want to build. Is it a light, reliable combat rifle (like a M-4)? Do you want a heavy barrel varmit setup? Do you want as cheap as possible for plinking? Do you have to follow any State assault weapons ban (CA legal...)?

Things that are nessasary in my opinion: 5.56 chamber, Flat top A3 style upper (so you can mount optics),normal sized parts, chrome plated chamber and barrel, minimum 16 inch to be free from NFA, 1/7 twist. Ciener or CMMG .22lr bolt conversion ($175) for training.

Things that are nice and $$$ are 2 stage triggers, free floating handgaurds, LMT enhanced bolt, gas piston systems (LMT makes a great one, but it is expensive), fancy optics (eotech or aimpont), bipods, owning different uppers for different uses...

Look at Midway in the AR section and you can see all the stuff that is availible. The Maryland AR-15 shooters have a great site too

for Magazines, PMAGS are the best... good luck finding any at the moment.

read this too:

http://forums.officer.com/showthread.php?t=81462

#17 ·
M4carbine.com

There is a spreadsheet compiled by a guy named rob_s @ M4Carbine.net that compares most brands, taking into consideration such items as bolt / barrel / bore specs. Not a bad starting point...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.