AR-15 suggestions

This is a discussion on AR-15 suggestions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking at ordering an AR either a rifle or a kit/parts. I know there is hundreds of manufactures out there that make quality products ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 suggestions

AR-15 suggestions

I'm looking at ordering an AR either a rifle or a kit/parts. I know there is hundreds of manufactures out there that make quality products and I've seen several of them mentioned in the posts. What I'm wondering is there any particular companies (manufacturer or dealer) that I should stay away from or you've had problems with. I'm not looking to bash any companies I just want to spend my money on a quality product with good customer service.

Thanks
    jamierah

2. Remove Ads

Can't go wrong with Bushmaster

Administrator
    If it were my money, I'd buy a RRA or Bushmaster. There are more expensive and fancier, but dollar for dollar, those are your two best bets.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I've got an order with Rock River for their rifle kit. Been since mid November. Sounds like they're good and back ordered. My receivers from Sun Devil mfg finally arrived and look 99% perfect (tiny blemish on the finish inside).

If you want a rifle anytime soon you'll probably have to pay a big premium to buy an assembled one. The RRA complete rifle kits come with their two stage trigger that everyone likes, which is why I ordered it. Expensive trigger kit if you have to buy it separately.

Aren't the Bushmasters (despite being an excellent rifle) not mil-spec or someone blowing smoke up my behind?

BAC
    Have you tried using the search function? This has been covered... a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzgum View Post
    Aren't the Bushmasters (despite being an excellent rifle) not mil-spec or someone blowing smoke up my behind?
    That 'someone' is correct, and Bushmasters are only 'excellent' if you fail to compare them to other brands.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

VIP Member
    I bought my Colt AR15 SP1, pre-owned, in 1982 and it's been flawless.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Go with a bushmaster I have not had any problems with it and it is easy to accessorize
    Sig P220R .45ACP
    Taurus PT92 9mm
    Rem 870 12ga.
    Bushmaster M-4 .223/5.56
    HK P2000 9mm
    Glock 31 .357

go to the ar forums. they have good information on how to build a ar.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Lead Moderator
    I would suggest finding what is available or you would pay for , then researching the quality of parts or brands.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    All AR's are essentially the same. There is only a few companies who do forgings and even fewer who do milled lowers. The difference between a $700 frankenrifle and a $1100 name brand is only the name. Build up something nice for $700 and use the money you save to buy ammo.

BAC will disagree but most of us just need a battle rifle to do medium duty and will never go into battle with it. If you want a war horse get an AK, otherwise get a modestly priced AR and a few goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzgum View Post
    You figuring on doing some kind of contract work that mandates your rifle be mil-spec?

Mil-spec is not the be all end all. All that means is that the product complies with contract specifications and has been documented as such. You can make a product that far excedes military requirements, never submit it for acceptance, and people can bash it for not being "mil-spec." Or it may have features that deviate from contract requirements.

Which is the better pistol, a mil-spec circa 1950 Colt 1911A1 or a similar vintage Colt Gold Cup National Match?

Sure, Bushy is not mil-spec. The question is are the differences between Bushy spec and mil-spec worth that much money to you?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    All AR's are essentially the same. There is only a few companies who do forgings and even fewer who do milled lowers. The difference between a $700 frankenrifle and a $1100 name brand is only the name. Build up something nice for $700 and use the money you save to buy ammo.

BAC will disagree but most of us just need a battle rifle to do medium duty and will never go into battle with it. If you want a war horse get an AK, otherwise get a modestly priced AR and a few goodies.
    You're right, I disagree. I'm glad our government disagrees, too, and sets minimum standards that the rifles they issue must meet and doesn't settle for issuing the cheapest it can get. Unfortunately, only a couple companies are known for actually trying to exceed TDP specs when building an AR-type rifle (Noveske is the first that comes to mind), so unlike in many industries, .gov specs are actually quite meaningful in the rifle world.

For the average gun owner, I absolutely agree that the Bushmaster "class" of rifles is sufficient. For people who want cheap beater, plinker, or project guns, you could even throw the more problematic rifles on that list. The issue I take is when certain companies intentionally cut corners where they shouldn't be cut and charge as if they weren't cut. New companies like ADS, CD Defense, and Henderson Defense will go far in the AR world because of the poorer practices of the larger and better known companies.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

If you have the time and desire for a ground-up build, you could get one of the kits from Sarco, btwn 450-500 I believe, minus the lower rec. I had good luck with a 20" A1 kit from them a few years ago, GI surplus parts, have had zero problems with it, makes for a cool retro plinker for less than 700 total. IIRC, they also now sell M4 kits with 16" barrels, but dont know much info bout them.

I have S&W and RRA and both are great.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links