Don't like Ghost Rings...

This is a discussion on Don't like Ghost Rings... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've decided that I just don't like the Ghost Ring Sights on my Benelli Nova Tactical. Are there aftermarket sights I can install? I wouldn't ...

I've decided that I just don't like the Ghost Ring Sights on my Benelli Nova Tactical.

Are there aftermarket sights I can install? I wouldn't mind pretty much an open rifle sight.
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Interesting.....I was just thinking about putting a heatshield with ghostsights on my Rem. 870 18incher.

What exactly don't you dig 'bout them.

I'm fairly new to shotguns so I couldn't help with insight to good sights.

I do not feel accurate. I do not feel fast.

If I need to shoot fast, I'd skip the sights anyway, and just shoot "down the barrel", so no sights help there. But if I wanted to place a good shot out past 50 yards, I can't with Ghost Sights. I'm sure I could with a rifle sight.
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Quote Originally Posted by Frogbones View Post
    Interesting.....I was just thinking about putting a heatshield with ghostsights on my Rem. 870 18incher.
    Probably not what you want to hear, but don't go that route- it's the same as a scope mount on an AK topcover.

The best front is the XS, I prefer the 24/7 dot, but you should still be able to get the (cheaper) non-tritium. I prefer MMC's rear, but LPA is just as easy to adjust.

Pros to the GR: 1) the front wings can be used as a "rapid aperture" for <15 yards, or a stabilized full-sight picture at longer distances.

2) allows longer, accurate engagement and similar
    sighting profiles among long-gun platforms.

Cons: 1) do stand up more than a bead.

2) may be a challenge to get accustomed to, if one is used to the bead.

I am a "multi-role shotgun" guy, not one who believes in the strict <20 yard, wide-spread envelope.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Interesting. I have learned to love the ghost ring sights on mine. Very fast target acquisition and I have had no problem bullseyeing slugs at 50 yds with it.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I really want to get a Benelli Super Nova Tactical with ghost ring sights. I shot one and I was hitting every target I aimed at easily. I definitely want ghost rings on my next shotgun even if I don't go with a Benelli Nova.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Putting Ghost Rings on a shotgun is trying to make it a rifle. I do not see the point in it.

Ray

Senior Moderator
    I took the Gunsite Tactical Shotgun class and had, as most did, ghost ring sights on my 870 tactical. We shot everything from 5 yards to 70 yards. In fact we zero'd our sights at 70 yards with slugs. We had no problems with accuracy at 70 yards or speed up close.

I thought the ghost sights were really fast, but I suspect a bead sight would be faster for closer encounters, but then a bead may not give the accuracy needed for longer shots.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    II suspect a bead sight would be faster for closer encounters, but then a bead may not give the accuracy needed for longer shots.
    .....is 170yds long enough for ya

I took a doe 2 years ago, trotting through a field at 170ish yds with just beads (and a rifled slug of course) out of my Mossberg.

Not sayin' it was the gun, my skill, or plain luck. But it DID happen, it is possible.

(BTW....brother borrowed my .243 that day....go figure)
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    Putting Ghost Rings on a shotgun is trying to make it a rifle. I do not see the point in it.

Ray
    It depends on "user philosophy." I prefer the model of an SG that equates to the poor-man's sub-gun; putting a large volume of lead into a confined space with immediacy. As in, I want to blow the BG's heart out his back, while interrupting spinal nerve transmission, or I want to remove the mass his face represents, versus wanting a percentage of hits.

Some prefer the idea of the wide dispersion, with the idea that some lead on target is better than none.(Or some lead in multiple targets is better than all-lead-in-one.)

Both concepts have their applications and proponents. Your position is espoused by a well known trainer. He is experienced; I respect his opinion. The blanket response, however, does nothing to help the end-user, and is simply an attempt at a pseudo-empirical argument, validating the "scattergun" vs shot-group position.

In my home, I do not need to sweep BGs out of a hall, I need to disentigrate living tissue in a 4" circle, at my POA. Possibly to reach an engine block, or running individual at >25, though that is clearly a fairly extreme scenario.

An MP-5 would actually serve my needs better...but I don't have $40K with which to do that.

So, that's a no?

Quote Originally Posted by FHBrumb View Post
    Are there aftermarket sights I can install? I wouldn't mind pretty much an open rifle sight.
    Sort of. Your rear sight is an LPA- you should be able to remove the screws, and lift it and the rail section off the receiver. I assume Benelli hasn't epoxied these to the receiver, but I do not know that. The easiest change for the front is buying a new barrel, with a bead, ala, Nova Sport configuration.

If you can't remove the rail and LPA sight easily, I'd post it "for trade" or see if a shop would trade you straight across for the Sport/Field gun. They should get about 30% more for your gun, as-is, than a NIB Field on the shelf.

Links