Crappy Customer service from Remington.

This is a discussion on Crappy Customer service from Remington. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just heard from a Friend of mine about the appalling response he had received from a Remington customer service rep. My friend, who is very ...

Thread: Crappy Customer service from Remington.

Crappy Customer service from Remington.

Just heard from a Friend of mine about the appalling response he had received from a Remington customer service rep. My friend, who is very well versed in most things rifle, has had a Remington rifle in .280cal for a few years now. This particular rifle has a pull of about 6-7 pounds and all of his efforts to bring it into a more respectable 2-2.5 pounds were to no avail.any adjustment to the trigger caused the rifle to discharge a round as the bolt closed on it. After replacing the factory trigger with a Rifle basix after market trigger, the problem still persisted. He then called Remington to see about sending the rifle to them and having it repaired. The rep he spoke to at Remington basically talked to him like he was an idiot and told him that his rifle was designed to have that heavy of a trigger and that any efforts to adjust the trigger would cause the rifle to malfunction,and furthermore all Remington rifles were not designed to accept aftermarket triggers. The rep also told my friend that since he"monkeyed" around with it all of the warranties would now be void.
    Now my friend is a life member of the NRA, TSRA, SCI, etc. and he politely told this rep that he was going to send the rifle in for repairs anyway and would like to have it fixed. The rep then told him that was o/k., but they would just send it right back to him. My friend is going to send a letter to all of the organizations he is a member of, as well as a nasty-gram to the CEO of Remington. I will post the results. It is people like that "customer service rep" which are running a fine company into the ground.

2. Remove Ads

i could see how him working on the trigger would void the warranty hey does that any-maker...

but yeah the customer service rep was wrong ... I've had my bad exp with rem and wont buy another

Administrator
    They should have accepted the rifle back & looked at it. Taken the aftermarket trigger out ~ reinstalled a new factory trigger & made the trigger pull acceptable.
    In the long run that probably would have sold them lots more rifles.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I called them recently with a question concerning my 870P and they treated me like I was a moron. I never mentioned the fact that I had had 4000 hours in machine tool opperation dealing with weapons technology and actually worked with a major government contractor that had the M-60 contract at that time. Of course this happened in my youth, but the flunky on the phone was more well versed in firearms (in there opinion) then I will ever be. :)

Assistant Administrator
    That attitude really yanks my chain!

Even if - technically - an after market trigger went in - people can still be told politely what is what - and then perhaps it could be suggested they do send rifle in but there may be a charge.

There are two ways to say the same thing - the impolite way with attitude - what we seem to have here - and the polite but assertive method - which need upset no one.

Some rep's think all gunnies are raving morons it seems.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I think it's the other way around 95. The consenus seems to be so far on this little thread here amoung us gunnies is that the reps are the raving morons. That really burned me up. I was shocked that this guy tried to convince my friend that Remington engineered their rifle actions to not have adjustable triggers , but they can't take after market triggers either. And get this he also told my friend that no firearms company in the U.S.A. manufactured a rifle with an adjustable trigger. I asked him if he mentioned to this dinglehead of a rep, if that was true then what about the Savage Accutrigger. He said he did bring that very thing up, and the response he got from the rep was " what's that?"

Assistant Administrator
    The consenus seems to be so far on this little thread here amoung us gunnies is that the reps are the raving morons.
    Pakn - well that is probably the better way to describe it all yes!! Certainly some of them - tho I'd still leave room for those who are good and they do exist. Trouble is, one bad one feels as great in impact as 10 good ones - bit like bad news!

It sure is hard to believe that a guy in the ''supposed'' gun business is ignorant of Savage's Accutrigger - that is amazing.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Not that it is the same category but about eight years back I had a problem with a frame failing on a $700 bicycle. The store folks just gave me all kinds of grief. After sending a letter to the president of the company I got a full refund. Because of the response I purchased a new bike from the company. The bike was two years old.

He may get some kind of good response then again he may just be kicked to the curb.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

I hope this turns out for the best.

But to be honest mentioning any modifications of a product to any customer service rep conjurs up the Liability Boogey Man in their minds.

Remember we live in sue happy age devoid of personal resposibility.

Ihad totry this one. After talking with my friend some more, he stated that this oh-so knowledgeble rep tolld him that Remington has been engineering their rifle actions and triggers to be tinker proof for over 10 years now. I had to put this to my own little test. I own two Remington rifles. One is a 600 Mohawk in 6mmRem. and a 700 in .243 Win. The Mohawk was built in 1969 and the 700 in 1998. I took both out to my shop last night and sucessfully adjusted both triggers , both up the weight scale and down. Both rifles continued to function properly. I think my friend just ended up with a lemon,the rifle as well as a rep, and hopefully this will all pan out. My friend has an extensive rifle collection and they are all Remington modles. He is also planning a Cape Buff. hunt in Africa next year and was looking to purchase a dangerous game rifle. He told me that it will now probably be a Weatherby or a Savage.

Thats funny because in my manual of the rifle i bought in 99-2000 says the trigger is adjust be should be done by a gunsmith

You bet it is Bud. I am not a professional gunsmith by any means , but i have built a few rifles . I followed the trigger adjustment directions in a gunsmithing book written by Patrick Sweeny. It was'nt that hard to do. Like i said , my friend got a lemon of a rep with a lemon head. not all reps are bad, but we sure do rember the bad ones.

Quote Originally Posted by paknheat
    He is also planning a Cape Buff. hunt in Africa next year and was looking to purchase a dangerous game rifle. He told me that it will now probably be a Weatherby or a Savage.
    He may also look into what CZ has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by paknheat
    You bet it is Bud. I am not a professional gunsmith by any means , but i have built a few rifles . I followed the trigger adjustment directions in a gunsmithing book written by Patrick Sweeny. It was'nt that hard to do. Like i said , my friend got a lemon of a rep with a lemon head. not all reps are bad, but we sure do rember the bad ones.
    Happens everywhere to some people no matter what they do its a job they don't care.. its a paycheck

Links