Best and Worst makers of: AR15, AK47, Galil, Uzi

This is a discussion on Best and Worst makers of: AR15, AK47, Galil, Uzi within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Tubby45 Most people would be best served with a run of the mill rifle spanning the horizion from Delton to Double Star, ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Best and Worst makers of: AR15, AK47, Galil, Uzi

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Most people would be best served with a run of the mill rifle spanning the horizion from Delton to Double Star, to the ABCD guys, and RRA. Putting 500 rounds downrange on a Saturday or 1000-1200 rounds in a carbine course isn't stress on the rifle. It isn't hard use.
    And yet too many companies can't cobble together a rifle to handle even 500 rounds in a range session or 1000-1200 rounds in a carbine course. Some companies fail more consistently than others.

Quote Originally Posted by mpd563 View Post
    I've been around and shot several Colts. Nothing impressive about them. Panther, Bushmaster, Double Star, Olympic, Stag, Rock River are all better in my opinion.
    Your opinion is not supported by facts.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    And yet too many companies can't cobble together a rifle to handle even 500 rounds in a range session or 1000-1200 rounds in a carbine course. Some companies fail more consistently than others.

Your opinion is not supported by facts.

-B
    My opinions are supported by MY facts and experiences and thats what matters most to me!
    God & Guns!

BAC
    Fair enough. Just understand that the original post was generally-speaking, and generally-speaking your experiences are too small a sample to draw any coherent conclusion from. If a company makes 10,000 perfect rifles, and 1 lemon that you ended up with, should the company be sworn off because you had that 1 lemon?

-B

Aks

In my limited sample set, I have an Arsenal AK underfolder and a Wasr AK underfolder. Both work fine, never have jammed or given me cause for concern. I can make a clay pigeon nervous from 100 yards with Wolf ammo with either. The Arsenal has great finish and fit, the Wasr looks like a 13 year old Cambodian slave laborer finished it.
    pgrass101 likes this.

I've never seen an AR15 from Colt that has impressed me! My friend has one and it jams continually. He bought it new in the box too. Personally I'll pass on the Colt recomendation!
    I'd have to see what mags he's using, and what if any lubricant is on the weapon. I'm betting I can get his Colt to run smoothly if I had one day with it and diagnosed his problems.

Just sayin.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

I've been around and shot several Colts. Nothing impressive about them. Panther, Bushmaster, Double Star, Olympic, Stag, Rock River are all better in my opinion.
    Why did you ask for opinions then if you already know what's good to go ?

Somebody close this thread please.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    Why did you ask for opinions then if you already know what's good to go ?

Somebody close this thread please.
    Excuse me but I have not asked for anybodys opinion. I did not start this thread. I only stated that Double Star made a very nice AR15 and you made some kind of comment about them needing to stay in their box or something like that! Get your facts straight before you post!
    God & Guns!

I don't think anyone said they were not other good copies out there. I know for a fact RRA and Bushmaster are good because I own both of them. However LMT Noveske and Colt would still be on the top of my list before them... But I certainly own and like others. Not putting them at the top of the list should not be confused with saying they are trash. Far from it.

As to AK's I am partial to Arsenal and Norinco for the first two as far as regular import manufacturers. There are some good assemblers making good ones out of kits too.

Uzi? well thats a hard one since there are so few choices. I only own a Vector copy Semi auto which is not "the best" I wouldn't say... but it is a good made thing though.

Administrator
    Let's please just talk about the various rifles and makers and skip the comments directed toward other forum members.
    That is not what we are about here on DC.

Regarding GALIL.
    I would suggest ONLY imports by Magnum Research or Action Arms...unless you can find a qualified smith to build you one on a milled/machined steel receiver and using all original Israeli Military Industries parts.

I have a Colt 6920 and IMHO it's top of the line. I have used it in several tactical rifle classes and run it in my own training, I will put it up against any AR out there for reliability and fit and finish, it has never failed me.
    Another great AR is, and you may or may not agree, is Stag Arms
    I would put it above a Bushy. On the low end, DPMS
    YMMV, Longbow
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Ive had a couple of ARs in my life, and a couple of Norinco AKs, SKSs never any Uzis or Galils.

Of the ARs I bought 2 delta match HBAR Colts right before Clinton passed AWB1 I sold one of them for about double what I paid for it and used the money to build up a DPMS gun that I used for 3 gun competition in the '90s. That gun probably had 20 or 30 thousand rounds through it and never failed me once. The HBAR I kept i still have today and it has never coughed or broken any parts whatsoever. And that is a genuine Colt. I recently celebrated my receiving a tax stimulus check from George W. and bought a DPMS Sportical which I absolutely love, having put about 500 rounds through it with no trouble whatsoever.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

What is the rough price range for a good quality AK?

before the election I bought my Sportical for $625.00; Now try around $1000 for the same gun.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by mchaley View Post
    What is the rough price range for a good quality AK?
    Superhouse and BAC pretty much summed it up: Rifle Dynamics, Arsenal, et al, are going to be in the $800 range currently. Fuller is a builder, so you could contact him directly, but "companies" go through the wholesaler, etc., so their prices will have markup included.

Century's WASRs are probably still a best buy(seem to be about $500, at the moment), as long as you understand it's going to be a bit rough in finish. I have one that's been rated as better than an Arsenal buy a dealer, but I have some time and tooling invested in it (refit/refinish, Duracoat, XS sights, Krebs rail).

If you want one that won't be spitting steel shavings and won't unnecessarily poke or pinch you, and one that has high pride-of-ownership, (and you have the $$) get one of the mentioned makers rifles. If you want one that works, but will take a little smoothing (magwell, safety lever, top cover edges) and maybe an upgraded stock, but leaving you $$ for mags and ammo- get the WASR.

Check in on Warrior Talk Forums - Powered by vBulletin and getoffthex.com for WASR pointers.

BAC
    Henderson Defense AKs retail around the $500 mark. It sounds like they take the import AKs and clean 'em up before putting a price-tag on them. When I finally have the breathing room to get an AK, I'll probably spring for an Arsenal ($600-$900) and/or Jim Fuller to build up an AKS-74U (which will not be cheap...).

-B

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links