Best and Worst makers of: AR15, AK47, Galil, Uzi - Page 3

Best and Worst makers of: AR15, AK47, Galil, Uzi

This is a discussion on Best and Worst makers of: AR15, AK47, Galil, Uzi within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; With a little trepidation, how do Armalite AR-10's rate? I have one, don't shoot it very often, but it seems very accurate for such a ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Best and Worst makers of: AR15, AK47, Galil, Uzi

With a little trepidation, how do Armalite AR-10's rate? I have one, don't shoot it very often, but it seems very accurate for such a short barrelled 308. The only problem I've ever had was a misfire on the first round after it wasn't shot for a year or so. I'd forgotten to clean it and found a pretty dirty firing pin after disassembly. And after than first failure to fire and ejection of the round, it fired perfectly for the next 50 rounds. Just wondering if Armalites have a decent reputation. Their AR-10's certainly aren't cheap.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by NativH View Post
    With a little trepidation, how do Armalite AR-10's rate? I have one, don't shoot it very often, but it seems very accurate for such a short barrelled 308. The only problem I've ever had was a misfire on the first round after it wasn't shot for a year or so. I'd forgotten to clean it and found a pretty dirty firing pin after disassembly. And after than first failure to fire and ejection of the round, it fired perfectly for the next 50 rounds. Just wondering if Armalites have a decent reputation. Their AR-10's certainly aren't cheap.
    Armalite's have a great rep and are one of the better made AR's on the market today!
    God & Guns!

I have both a Colt and a DPMS AR and I can tell you, side by side on the range, both are accurate and dependable with no issues at all. I have come to realize that some reliability issues lie with the end user and not the gun.
    ErnieNWillis likes this.

What about DPMS? I am thinking about purchasing one....

Also is Impact Guns a good site to order from..?

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by jeephipwr View Post
    I have both a Colt and a DPMS AR and I can tell you, side by side on the range, both are accurate and dependable with no issues at all. I have come to realize that some reliability issues lie with the end user and not the gun.
    Your mind might change if you shoot it enough.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Your mind might change if you shoot it enough.

-B
    I recently went through a grueling 40hr AR15 swat course with a DPMS and it sailed through with no problems! No cleaning from start to finish and no malfunctions of any kind. What more could one ask for from a gun?
    God & Guns!

BAC
    Empirical evidence to support an assertion that one is better, worse, or as good as another in the broader spectrum of uses in terms of accuracy, durability, and reliability? You don't get or two lemons and swear off an entire brand any more than you get one or two good rifles and swear by the entire brand, right? The original post asks about makers, meaning, overall quality of the product. Sample size counts.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Boy these "which AR is the best" discussions are always heated, aren't they?

I do not have much personal experience with ARs other than Colt, FN and Noveske. The only jams I've ever seen were magazine or lube related, save one.

Just a week ago I saw a Colt gas tube break, seizing up the action. The cause of the break was the amount of rounds that had been fired had, over time, cut the thin portion of the gas tube opposite the gas hole. Must have been tens of thousands of rounds based on the serial number of the gun - it still had the original barrel and was in the 6XXXXXX range - the new ones are 11XXXXXX and up.

I think parts quality makes a big difference, as does assembly. Its unfortunate that there is no real documented evidence across the board for all AR-15s, but that's just the way it is.

I learn more about the AR-15 almost every day. Just yesterday I was reading about an short blurb by Greg "Sully" Sullivan of slr15.com regarding the milling of the receiver extension hole in the lower receiver. It is easy to assemble an AR properly (according to military specs) - some manufacturer's don't even do that. The importance of the quality and construction of the parts is for each individual to decide for him/herself.

All just my opinion of course. FWIW I own a Noveske and I'm working on a build using a Stag lower, RRA LPK, Sully stock, MIAD grip, generic upper from BCM (w/ M4 cuts), LMT BCG, LMT rear sight, Sabre 20" 1/7 chrome lined barrel and Stag Rifle length handguards.

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by mpd563 View Post
    I've never seen an AR15 from Colt that has impressed me! My friend has one and it jams continually. He bought it new in the box too. Personally I'll pass on the Colt recomendation!
    Not trying to stir this pot, honest. Having said that, when I read comments like yours I usually just shake my head and move on. However, I have to add my voice to those that say your sample size is too small. I am glad you have found something that you are happy with. Honest, I wish you nothing but the best with your choices. But consider this; many here have carried Colts to war and back. When you live with and by a weapon like that, perhaps going through more rounds under fire in a short time than many a gun nut will plink in their lifetime, well do not be surprised if someone thinks you are talking through your hat.
    OPFOR likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxer View Post
    What about DPMS? I am thinking about purchasing one....
    My 1st AR15 was a new Colt SP1 in the late 70's I think, since then, I have built 6 different ones, form Blackthorne, To JT dist. to straight military parts from Cadre Supply in Memphis years ago. Last I built was on a DPMS reciever. I really can not tell any differance in the rifles them self's. The all shoot, they all shot well. Never had any problem with any of them.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Klaatu View Post
    Not trying to stir this pot, honest. Having said that, when I read comments like yours I usually just shake my head and move on. However, I have to add my voice to those that say your sample size is too small. I am glad you have found something that you are happy with. Honest, I wish you nothing but the best with your choices. But consider this; many here have carried Colts to war and back. When you live with and by a weapon like that, perhaps going through more rounds under fire in a short time than many a gun nut will plink in their lifetime, well do not be surprised if someone thinks you are talking through your hat.
    Look, I'm not saying thats Colts are "junk"! As a matter of fact I own a vintage Colt Paratrooper built in the early 70's and it is a fine weapon. What I am saying is this, the new Colts cost approx 1/3 more than say a Bushmaster, Armalite, DPMS, Double Star, ect. I have personally seen one of these price inflated Colt AR's malfunction straight from the box. If I'm gonna pay say $1,600.00 + for a Colt over a $1,000.00 Bushmaster then it had better out preform the lesser priced AR's, thus justifying its price. I'm sure this particular one was probably a "monday morning" gun and not representative of the entire line. Imho, the new Colts don't seem to justify their higher price tag! Even if the one owned by my friend had worked perfectly, it still did not "out-preform" any other AR 15 that I have had the pleasure of using in terms of accuracy, reliability, or fit & finish. I would rather save the $600.00 spent on the Colt and use it to buy 1,500 rds of ammo for my DPMS or Bushmaster. But hey, I've only been using AR-15's for about 25yrs now, what the heck would I know!
    ErnieNWillis likes this.
    God & Guns!

I have several brands of AR15's,they all go bang and function 100%,I've never had any parts break except an extractor in my 7.62x39 upper ripping steel cases out.I've repaired my buddys Colt M16 twice now,He fires at least 300 rounds a week every week on full auto thru his gun,does that mean his Colt is inferior? No it means he is harder on his gun than most plinkers.Most lowers are just as good as the next guys,I believe if you use good quality parts and barrels,good magazines and keep the BCG lubed the gun will do what you need it to do when you need it.
    Sometimes we say things that can get a little heated, but in the end we all have one goal IMHO,that is to help educate new shooters and to preserve our right to keep and bear arms
    Rigrat and rmxer85 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Sometimes we say things that can get a little heated, but in the end we all have one goal IMHO,that is to help educate new shooters and to preserve our right to keep and bear arms
    And in this day and time we "gun lovers" need to stick together more than ever!
    God & Guns!

I am planning to build a new ar15 ground up and need to know some important things, does ar 15 parts matter if they bought from different manufactures like I buy lower receiver from one company and lower receiver trigger parts from some different company. Is this make any differences of choosing different ar 15 manufactures company for one product.?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links