Best and Worst makers of: AR15, AK47, Galil, Uzi

This is a discussion on Best and Worst makers of: AR15, AK47, Galil, Uzi within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm having a ton of trouble figuring out who is who amongst manufacturers for these rifles. I'd like to figure out the top (best) and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Best and Worst makers of: AR15, AK47, Galil, Uzi

I'm having a ton of trouble figuring out who is who amongst manufacturers for these rifles. I'd like to figure out the top (best) and bottom (worst) 5 manufacturers for the AR15, AK47, Galil, and Uzi. I know that some of these dont have 10 manufacturers. I just want to get a list of the best and worst manufacturers to help make future decisions. (Especially the AK47).

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    If you do a search on each of the weapon systems, you will find a thread or two that will answer your question.

FWIW I consider the Noveske rifles to be the best of the AR15 breed.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Yeah, for top shelf AR rifles I'd go with Noveske, LMT, or Colt. For "damn fine" but not quite top shelf I'd go with S&W or (believe it or not) Charles Daly (D4MLE). My AR lower is Charles Daly and the fit and finish and quality seems top notch.

You should also check out "the chart" created by Rob S. on M4Carbine.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...jFwPrgTA&hl=en

UZI

I got a Norinco 320 Uzi as payment for some work, really way less than 400 bucks. I wasn't expecting much, but it's a great shooter, super reliable, and I'm going through the investment to make it an SBR. I was expecting a bottom of the barrel copy and was pleasantly surprised.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    Yeah, for top shelf AR rifles I'd go with Noveske, LMT, or Colt. For "damn fine" but not quite top shelf I'd go with S&W or (believe it or not) Charles Daly (D4MLE). My AR lower is Charles Daly and the fit and finish and quality seems top notch.

You should also check out "the chart" created by Rob S. on M4Carbine.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...jFwPrgTA&hl=en
    +1 to Chooie's post.

As far as AK's, Henderson Defense makes AK's right....so does Lancaster, Krebs, and others.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Double Star is one of the best made AR15's ive ever seen. fit and finish is awsome!
    God & Guns!

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpd563 View Post
    Double Star is one of the best made AR15's ive ever seen. fit and finish is awsome!
    Fit and finish may be good, but that has no bearing on the quality of the parts inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    Fit and finish may be good, but that has no bearing on the quality of the parts inside.
    While I do not personally own a Double Star, I have heard nothing but good things about them from their users. Notice I didn't say owners, but users, because the ones I have been around were being used by "Fish & Wildlife" officers who also had access to several other brands and they all agreed the Double Stars were among the best, if not the best, they had.
    God & Guns!

While I do not personally own a Double Star, I have heard nothing but good things about them from their users. Notice I didn't say owners, but users, because the ones I have been around were being used by "Fish & Wildlife" officers who also had access to several other brands and they all agreed the Double Stars were among the best, if not the best, they had.
    I find it hard to take a "Fish and wildlife" officer seriously to his or her opinion on what AR15 is "best" in the field.

Double Star may be an inexpensive name in the industry, but I'm betting that if the "Fish and Wildlife" officers had a choice between LMT and Colt and Double Star they would leave the Double Star in it's box, where it belongs.

I've never met a Fish and Wildlife officer yet that knew nuts about an AR15 rifle.
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    Double Star may be an inexpensive name in the industry, but I'm betting that if the "Fish and Wildlife" officers had a choice between LMT and Colt and Double Star they would leave the Double Star in it's box, where it belongs.
    I've never seen an AR15 from Colt that has impressed me! My friend has one and it jams continually. He bought it new in the box too. Personally I'll pass on the Colt recomendation!
    God & Guns!

I've heard that the Romanian and Yugoslavian AK's are pretty good. Any truth to this?

Also, is the Golani Galil Sporter 223 any good?

I've never seen an AR15 from Colt that has impressed me! My friend has one and it jams continually. He bought it new in the box too. Personally I'll pass on the Colt recomendation!
    They didn't get their good reputation based on your buddies gun. They are good

BAC
    AR15: Bravo Company, Colt, LMT, Noveskse. All of these companies have established themselves as industry leaders in AR15s and truly put out quality products. The Charles Daly Defense D-M4LE is regarded very highly, base on every report so far from guys who used them in T&E and owners who get to work them, but they are still too new and do not have the sheer numbers to confirm their quality that the previous four companies I mentioned do.

AK47: Arsenal, Henderson Defense, Krebs, Rifle Dynamics (Fuller) are all considered the "best of" in AK47s. Arsenal has long set the standard for AKs in America, and their reputation is well-earned. Henderson Defense AKs are excellent, and their customer service is fantastic. I mention Krebs grudgingly, based on their cost, but they do put out a good product. Anything from Jim Fuller you can consider gold.

Galil: IMI seems to be the gold standard. I've paid admittedly very little attention to Galils, so I know really nothing beyond that.

Uzi: No idea. I won't even pretend to have an idea.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

As far as AR15 guns go, there is a lot of misinformation regarding quality on the Net. Most of the manufacturers don't machine their own lowers in house. Noveske doesn't, Colt doesn't, Rock River doesn't, and the list goes on.

I've been building AR15 rifles for almost 10 years now. I've built them on everything from Vulcan/Hesse/Blackthorne to the ABCD (Armalite, Bushy, Colt, DPMS), to LMT and Noveske. The only ones I'd run very far away from are the Hesse/Vulcan guns.

People love to spend money on an AR15. They believe that having a CMMG lower or a Noveske is a sign of quality in the weapon system and that can be farther from the truth. The lower and subsequent parts inside are the least of your worries. If you want a good AR, put money into the upper. Get a good upper receiver, good barrel, match the gas system to your application and pick a solid carrier group. I've had both MP tested and non tested bolts fail. Stuff happens.

Most people would be best served with a run of the mill rifle spanning the horizion from Delton to Double Star, to the ABCD guys, and RRA. Putting 500 rounds downrange on a Saturday or 1000-1200 rounds in a carbine course isn't stress on the rifle. It isn't hard use. Now if you are truly in a situation throughout your day or career where you very likely will have to kill someone with your weapon, then spend the money on a rifle with solid upper components. The weekend warrior or the home defender doesn't require a $1500 AR to get the job done. Buy an $800 Delton rifle that will last for years and years. Spend the extra money on a training class and ammo. That will serve you better than any overpriced, brand whored AR.

I've built cheap rifles for $500 all the way to competition rifles for 1,000 shooting that cost over $4,000 with optics. I have a bit of experience in these matters. If you want a fancy name on your lower, you are just paying for a stamping that costs the manufacturer $250 for the stamping die. I have one for my lowers that I machine in house. Whoopdie doo.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    They didn't get their good reputation based on your buddies gun. They are good
    I've been around and shot several Colts. Nothing impressive about them. Panther, Bushmaster, Double Star, Olympic, Stag, Rock River are all better in my opinion.
    God & Guns!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links