.308 Rifle That I Can Shoot All Day

This is a discussion on .308 Rifle That I Can Shoot All Day within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by McPatrickClan Why? Unless you're going to be engaging targets at 300 yds it's too much gun. You can shoot through concrete block ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .308 Rifle That I Can Shoot All Day

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    Why?
    Unless you're going to be engaging targets at 300 yds it's too much gun. You can shoot through concrete block with a .308. You could shoot through a BG and then through your wall and then halfway through a neighbors house. A .308 is a heavy hitter.

A .308 is a great "end of the world as we know it" weapon. A shotgun is a great home defense weapon.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

2. Remove Ads

BAC
    McPatrickClan, atctimmy is correct. Unless this rifle is intended to use this for longer distances, it will be exceptionally difficult (to the point of absurdity) to find a load that can be used in close-quarters effectively. When I say effectively, I mean have the terminal performance to stop a threat and have characteristics that reduce the likelihood of a missed shot endangering others. Finding a .308 that can do this and still cycle the action of whatever rifle is being used would be, in my opinion, not worth the effort.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    McPatrickClan, atctimmy is correct. Unless this rifle is intended to use this for longer distances, it will be exceptionally difficult (to the point of absurdity) to find a load that can be used in close-quarters effectively. When I say effectively, I mean have the terminal performance to stop a threat and have characteristics that reduce the likelihood of a missed shot endangering others. Finding a .308 that can do this and still cycle the action of whatever rifle is being used would be, in my opinion, not worth the effort.
    -B
    I agree, and disagree. True, a 308 is too much for "inside the house" shooting. But I had (thankfully I moved) an across the street neighbor who pulled a pistol on me and some buds once. That got a call to the cops and 5 squad cars screeched to a halt in front of his house within 2-3 minutes. After they arrested him and came to talk to me, them said he had an arsenal including several AK's plus he was a known crazy to the department. They strongly suggested I shoot him next time he did something like this because they could only arrest him on a misdeminor until he actually shot someone. I had a Mini 14 but thought about an across the street shot as this jerk hid behind his brick home exterior. Brain flash. A 308 would effectively punch right through that brick exterior as he hid thinking he was safe. Guess who bought an AR-10 that week? Yep and never looked back on that purchase as "too much gun" for whatever might arise. And the 110 gr Hornady TAP round cycles flawlessly and I shoot a 1" 5 shot grouping at 100 yards with my Aimpoint. That is one wickedly accurate round in my AR-10 and the group size is the size of my dot at that distance. Two 20 round mags are loaded and ready at all times.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

Call me crazy.....but I'm not sure a shot through a brick exterior into someone's home would hold up in court as self defense..... :)
    Yep, I'm a Male Nurse.....Focker

Kimber Ultra CDP II
    Beretta PX4 9mm
    Ruger LCP
    FN Herstal PBR .308

Quote Originally Posted by MaleNursePX4 View Post
    Call me crazy.....but I'm not sure a shot through a brick exterior into someone's home would hold up in court as self defense..... :)
    Why would it not be if the person inside the house was shooting at you trying to kill you? How is anyone expected to know if the weapon they are being shot at with is not a high power rifle capable of penetrating cars or into your home making flight impossible.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Remington 700 Varmint

What about this .308? Isn't it basically the same rifle used by LOE for sniper work? It has the bull barrel and is supposedly really accurate. True it is bolt action and only holds 5 rounds, but I have my property setup in zones. If BG comes over my fence at 150 yards from house, rifle there. If, and if, they get to the house through the Doberman (and me), then the shotgun and hanguns come into affect.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

Sounds like you need to harden up.

It comes with practice and shooting lots and lots of rounds. There is no other way.
    Push-ups and bench presses. Do'em. If 20 rounds of battle-rifle loads is stressing you, you need some muscle mass in addition to the acclimation of shooting. The services give big boys big guns for a reason.

.223 and any .30 cal (.308, 7.62x39, et al.) FMJ will penetrate most modern construction exterior walls with enough consistency to be "dangerous."

An A-Max/V-Max load in either/any of those calibers is not "ludicrously hard to find." They are also some of the best man-stoppers, for the obvious reasons, and are much less likely to over-penetrate.

For the 308 chambering, I'd probably reorder you priorities to:
    1) recreational shooting

2) deer/hog hunting

3) home/mobile defense in a worst-case scenario
    As others have pointed out, other than long distance, outdoor, SHTF defensive situations, the 308 is a lousy home defense weapon. Just simply too much gun for in the house defense.

Since your main complaint about your Savage seems to center around recoil and since most all of the other responses here are geared toward battle rifles, I thought I'd toss out a couple that would fit two of your criteria in a softer hitting (on your shoulder), more traditional firearm platform.

Remington 750 Woodsmaster -- I had one of these years ago when it was the 742 Woodsmaster chambered in 30-06. At 100 yards I could put 4 rounds on target faster than my coyote hunting buddy back then could put one round on target, lever in a second round and fire from his Savage 99 in 243. One of a handful of guns I regret getting rid of.

Browning BAR -- Never owned one of these but always wanted one. As another gas operated semi-auto, it should also be much easier on your shoulder.

If your primary uses for this rifle are recreational shooting and hunting, I believe either of these would be an excellent choice.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

The only .308 that I have shot was a chopped M14 from Springfield Armory and it was not as bad as my Mosin Nagant in terms of recoil/kick... it was very much fun to shoot too and very accurate.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

I'm new here - so don't flame this reply ;-)

I have both a Springfield Socom and a Browning BLR chambered in .308. I like both guns BUT for the reasons cited by the original poster, I like the Browning BLR better. The Browning BLR that I have is the take-down model. This little darlin comes apart like a breakdown shotgun and WILL FIT INTO A BACKPACK.

The BLR is a lever action with decent wood and a 4+1 capacity - so none of your neighbors will think you're one of those "assault weapons types" if you're seen carrying it to and from the house. It is light as a feather and you can carry it all day with one in the chamber de-cocked on "fan-safe". You can mount a scope on the receiver or a "scout style" long eye relief scope on the barrel that you never have to re-zero after you break the gun down. It has a thick recoil pad like a competition shotgun and you can put an even thicker pad on if recoil bothers you.

With my BLR and the scout scope from a bench rest, I can put 5 into a 2" group at 300 yards and with the iron sites from a bench rest, I can put 5 into a 6" group at 100 yards.

My SOCOM is my SHTF weapon but the BLR broken down in my backpack is my "survival" weapon.

Be well and shoot often!

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I have a Socom II in .308, and it's a great gun. My only complaint is that it's heavy, but that does help with recoil.

Browning BLR gets my vote. I like the M1A, but my mindset is if it needs to be used in a self defense situation, I would want the least aggressive looking rifle I can get my hands on. The Browning BLR has good capacity (imo), and it still offers the powerful .308 as a caliber selection. It's a sleeper for home defense and an amazing rifle to boot.
    Beretta 92FS

Tikka T3 if you want bolt action.

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Push-ups and bench presses. Do'em. If 20 rounds of battle-rifle loads is stressing you, you need some muscle mass in addition to the acclimation of shooting. The services give big boys big guns for a reason.
    For fear of my man card getting pulled, I have to set the record straight.

I am not saying that I dislike the recoil of the rifle because I am a modern-day Richard Simmons. I am saying that either:

a) I have no idea how to properly shoot a rifle (I did a little asking-around, etc. and found little in the way of "lessons" for this)

b) I am shooting properly but am finding that my shots are getting sloppier after about two dozen rounds... wondering if there is something that can be done about this

While I am on the thinner side of the scale, I am by no means uncomfortable with fielding recoil if that is the reality of shooting a .308 cartridge!

Shoot all day? Aren't these rounds like a buck each?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links