.308 Rifle That I Can Shoot All Day - Page 5

.308 Rifle That I Can Shoot All Day

This is a discussion on .308 Rifle That I Can Shoot All Day within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; You might look into a good muzzle break as well as a new recoil pad for your Savage. Just get a thread cap for hunting. ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    You might look into a good muzzle break as well as a new recoil pad for your Savage. Just get a thread cap for hunting. For bench shooting a slip on pad, strap on shoulder pad or lead sled may be worth trying.
    If you opt for a military semi auto look for one that can be fitted with a recoil pad, many have solid butt plates. Aftermarket pads are available for some but they may increase length of pull. A wood stocked rifle can be fitted with a recoil pad, just be sure it doesn't destroy value of the rifle. There are also muzzle breaks available for most military rifles with threaded barrels that will replace the flash hider.
    For use in the field take into account the weight of a military semi auto (most are about 10 pounds) if hiking much distance. If you'll want a scope be sure there is a reliable mount available that doesn't cost a fortune and require an expensive cheek pad. Many battle rifles shoot 2-3 minutes of angle as built (some much better) if you need MOA for hunting do your research before buying one.

If you are familiar with the AR-type platform look into a 308(7.62 NATO)version from Knight's Armament(SR-25/M110 SASS)or something from DPMS. GOOD LUCK
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Saiga are supposed to be super reliable.

M1A or AR10.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I too would suggest the 6.8SPC. I have a LWRC in this caliber and it is a pleasure to shoot...and I am a small guy. My son loves to shoot it also. He is 15 and small for his age. Very accurate and recoil seems to be nearly identical to the 5.56. I used to enjoy shooting hard kickers, but I have wised up the last few years. Good luck on your decision.
    SA 1911 9mm, Ruger LCP, EMP9, M&P45, LWRC 6.8SCP

Semper Fi...

FN-FAL

Is a super platform to shoot..... I have put over 100 rounds through mine on several occassions and could probably easily do 500 with out any damage to my shoulder at all. Its availble with wood furniture and a 5 round mag would make it look like any other "sporting rifle". Its been the workhorse of the NATO countries for years, so lots of spare parts and knowledge about them around. Very easy to maintain and eats cheaper surplus ammo all day.

Shoot one and you will see.

Many, including me, still like the AR-10 platform in 308. Easy to shoot and no recoil to speak of. Heavier gun than a 223 version due to the caliber but that helps with recoil IMHO. With my Aimpoint, it is superb for target acquisition and shoots 1"-2" groups at 100 yards with Hornady 110 gr TAP ammo and 2"-3" groups with regular old PMC or Winchester FMJ. Set up this way, my dot sits on the front sight when looking through my rear peep, just in case the battery dies at a most inopportune time. Muzzle blast is interesting and usually clears out the bench next to me when I'm at the range. I like my space anyway.

SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

All day shooting? I shoot an M1-A , the weight of the rifle does dampin the recoil. It is a heavy rifle expecially with the 20 round mag. Even with all that weight if im wearin only a t-shirt and fire a couple hundred rounds at on sitting it will leave a bruise sometimes. You wont really notice it till later as it seems to sneak up on ya. Its like the jack hammer effect.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    All day shooting? I shoot an M1-A , the weight of the rifle does dampin the recoil. It is a heavy rifle expecially with the 20 round mag. Even with all that weight if im wearin only a t-shirt and fire a couple hundred rounds at on sitting it will leave a bruise sometimes. You wont really notice it till later as it seems to sneak up on ya. Its like the jack hammer effect.

Michael
    Dude,

You're my hero. Shooting a couple hundred rounds of 308 in a sitting would be a blast. I go crazy, or be thrown out, at my local range trying to do that. No rapid fire allowed and I'd grow a full beard shooting 200-300 rounds with their range rules.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links