Thoughts on the Kel Tec Sub 2000

This is a discussion on Thoughts on the Kel Tec Sub 2000 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A local gun shop has one of these for $360 in .40 S&W and uses Glock Mags. Looks like both a fun little unit, and ...

Thread: Thoughts on the Kel Tec Sub 2000

Thoughts on the Kel Tec Sub 2000

A local gun shop has one of these for $360 in .40 S&W and uses Glock Mags.

Looks like both a fun little unit, and practical for that mid point between a pistol and full blown rifle. If you could just get more than 10 round mags for it.

Kel Tec
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

I have a 9mm SUB-2000 that uses Beretta mags. They're great fun and surprisingly accurate, I even qualified on our patrol rifle course with mine. It has been reliable and is not ammo sensitive. It will take any Beretta 92 mag, including the 30 rounders. That is the same for the Glock mag model. It will take any of the fullsize Glock .40 mags, including the hi caps.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I had a Sub2K a few years ago, and wish I still did. They are great little guns, and folded up, stored in a retangular gun rug, will fit in all kinds of small spaces in a vehicle.

Administrator
    If it uses Glock mags, why cant you use G22 mags? They hold 15. There are also 30 rounders out there too, but they are tough to find sometimes.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I would love one in 9mm but none of the local shops can get them... may have to get a high point

can't believe I just said that....
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If you really need it, you will need it really fast. ALWAYS one in the chamber.
    Nuf said!

The Hi Points are surprising, really. My 995 has been nothing but reliable. Great gun.

That being said, I still won't have anything to do with the pistols, but yeah...

It is handicapped by smaller mag capacity while the Kel-Tec is not, I'm still holding out that someone might develop a reliable high capacity mag for it.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Kt 2000

A local small PD uses them for patrol rifles and is totally satisfied. They issue full capacity Glock 22 mags with them.

I bought my Sub-2000 about two years ago, it is 9mm. and uses Glock Magazines. I have put thousands of rounds of all types through it and have never had any problems with it at all. Accuracy is very good for an "inexpensive" gun, and folded up it is easy to have with you, (I carry mine in an old notebook computer case). I have both Glock 17,and 18 (33 rounds!) magazines, and they work great. Look into the Kel-Tec magazine holder that fits on the rear stock, with 33 rounds in the mag-well, and 17 more at the ready it gives you alot of firepower in a very small package. In closing these unique folding carbines can be very hard to find, get one while you still can.

Buy Guns, Buy Ammo, and Buy Often before the chosen one tries to take away a fundamental right.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    yep, folded, the KT Sub2K has to about the most compact 16" barrel rifle around. I can't fold my CX4 Storm, and for that feature alone I wish I hadn't given up the Sub2K in a pistol trade.

I have been lusting for a Sub-2000 in the Glock 19 flavor and will likely get one before summer. The price you are being quoted is fabulous. I have not seen any for less than $600 in the last 2 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    A local small PD uses them for patrol rifles and is totally satisfied. They issue full capacity Glock 22 mags with them.
    What dept is that? I'm curious how they outfit them.

PD

It's a local small city. They issue them with a soft case for trunk carry. They do not have enough for each officer to be issued one so they sign them in and out as needed for shift. They normally store them opened, not folded. They issued a barrel mounted laser sight made by some Chinese prankster who hates America and gunsmiths, but got rid of them after zero holding issues were noted (for the 500th time). Issue ammo is the 180gr Remingtom JHP. Not fancy, bought on a piggyback of someone else's bid. They issue the Glock 22, but allow individual purchase of others from an approved list. Most of those who don't carry the 22 carry the 23.

Interesting, first I've heard of LEO's carrying them on duty other than me. Mine rides up front with me folded up in my gear bag. Quick to access and depoly should I need more range and accuracy than my pistol but don't have time to get to my AR-15.

Great concept....tough to obtain. I've had one on order for a year now

Quote Originally Posted by Grantspastor View Post
    Great concept....tough to obtain. I've had one on order for a year now
    Greeeat. I have been avoiding that shop since I saw it to avoid temptation, then you post something like this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Links