Wanting rifle recomendations

This is a discussion on Wanting rifle recomendations within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here is the story. I have a few rifles in many calibers but the one thing I don't have is a semi auto rifle, well ...

Thread: Wanting rifle recomendations

Here is the story. I have a few rifles in many calibers but the one thing I don't have is a semi auto rifle, well except for a couple 22's. So I would like to get a semi 223 or 308 as these are 2 calibers I already have. I have been thinking about an AR-15 but I don't know much about them. What are the pros and cons of an AR-15 over a Mini 14? What other weapons would you guys recommend? I do need to keep the cost down as low as possible (paying for a wedding and honey moon in a couple months) so I don't need anything fancy but maybe something I could race up in the future.

Thanks guys and gals.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Here is a great discussion about 308s and might give food for thought

308 rifle I can shoot all day.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I think the biggest driving factor in this decision will be what you need or want the rifle for.

I needed a weapon that would be relatively light in both overall weight and recoil (1 for me, 1 for my wife, and 1 for posterity). Additionally, I needed to be able to keep it up and running in the event some sort of ban goes into effect.

Since I've got a lot of tools (I was a wrench monkey and audio installer for about four years) the AR-15 was the logical choice.

I keep spare parts on hand, and I can disassemble and replace everything but the barrel extension with the tools I have.

The weight of the mini is comparable to the AR-15. Until recently, magazines for the AR-15 were plentiful and in stock everywhere.

Although this didn't play into my original decision, the AR also offers you the opportunity to build role-specific firearms on the same lower (by virtue of swapping out the upper).

You can have one lower, and one upper with say a 16" barrel for HD, and another upper with a 20" heavy barrel for varminting... etc.

That said, AR's are really expensive right now - at least - compared to what they used to cost.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Ya I have watched the prices go up. I guess I am not sure what the gov is doing so I was thinking about getting a Semi auto and some mags while I can just like everyone else. I want a AR or similar for what they are for. I have a heavy barrel varmint rifle, big game rifles, shotguns ect but no semi auto defense type rifle. I would like one to round out the collection at this time.

If I was in your situation, I would get a service grade M-! Garand from the CMP and 1200 rds of 30-06 ball. This can be done for around 1000 USD. Cheaper than a good 308 battle rifle or AR-15, plus you would have a bunch of ammo to shoot!
    The M-1 is 600 USD and M2 Ball is 28 to 36 cents each. Get some on clips and some in boxes.
    I know you asked about 308 rifles but the CMP deal is just to good.

In .223 both the AR15 and the Mini 14 are good guns.

AR15 –
    More accurate.
    More accessories.
    Less recoil.
    High capacity magazines are more readily available.

Mini 14 –
    Less expensive.
    Runs cleaner due to gas piston design.
    More reliable and less temperamental about being dirty.
    Not an “Evil Black Rifle” – more socially acceptable, especially with the 5 round magazine.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

I do not own an AR15 but I did use the M16 for several years.

I do own a Mini 14 and am not overly pleased with the accuracy, but have plans for addressing this, or the cost of the 20 round magazines.

My Mini 14 plus accurizing it to 1.5 MOA plus 5 high capacity magazines cost me less than any of the AR pattern rifles that I would want to purchase (not that the less expensive ones are not good, they are just not what I would buy).

In .308 there are many more than I am qualified to talk about. I have an M1A (Springfield’s version of the M14) but if I was looking today I doubt I would go with it. The M1A is a great rifle and I am very happy with it, but it is very pricy. I don’t recall the last time I saw one for less than $1200.00 and it is not uncommon to see them for as much as or more than $1600.00 – that’s more than I could justify now.

Well I'll throw this in just because I am personally impressed with mine.

Romanian PSL.
    7.62x54r (.311)
    Semi auto, 10 round mags based on the AK platform
    Mil Surp ammo $200 - 880 round case delivered 147gr bullets
    $700 gets you Rifle, TIP2 scope 4x24mm range finder, military reticule, turrets are set for meters after you get it zeroed. Mag pouch, cleaning kit, 2 magazines (additional mags can be found from $20 and up). Higher power military scopes with choice of reticule available for under $250

Mine shot .75 MOA @ 100m. 3 shot group. Recent trip I was able to get 4" @ 300m (cold and windy). It hits harder than my buddies Rem 778 .308.

This is a Designated Marksman Rifle. Optimum range 300m to 800m, scope runs out to 1400m.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    In .223 both the AR15 and the Mini 14 are good guns.

AR15 –
    More accurate.
    More accessories.
    Less recoil.
    High capacity magazines are more readily available.

Mini 14 –
    Less expensive.
    Runs cleaner due to gas piston design.
    More reliable and less temperamental about being dirty.
    Not an “Evil Black Rifle” – more socially acceptable, especially with the 5 round magazine.
    I would add that parts are a biggie. Ruger does not believe "civilians" should be able to replace extractors, ejectors or firing pins. Get them now, or you'll never see them. Ruger barrels sucketh, verily. they can be accurized, but...

Really, for the money, I would suggest the JLD HK clones, the PTR-90 series. Prices haven't gone up as much as the ARs, parts and mags are still comparatively cheap and plentiful. And it's a .308...

Ruger is the cheapest, but I can't say it would be much cheaper for "the package" in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    I would add that parts are a biggie. Ruger does not believe "civilians" should be able to replace extractors, ejectors or firing pins. Get them now, or you'll never see them. Ruger barrels sucketh, verily. they can be accurized, but...
    Rob,
    You are correct on both counts. Ruger does not like to sell parts to the consumer; they want you to send the weapon in to them. This is not a problem for me since I can get any spare parts I want after market, anything else I will sent it in to a smith to do the work.

As for the barrel... Yup they susketh! I am having mine replaced by

Accuracy Systems, Inc.
    1653 S. Laredo St.
    Aurora, Co. 80017

They are the next town over so it is real convenient AND the cost of the replacement barrel still keeps me below the cost of the AR.

Now, if I could afford it, the one I would get is the SIG 556

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    I think the biggest driving factor in this decision will be what you need or want the rifle for.
    Repeated for emphasis. Whatcha wanna do with it, muddy?

The only advantage the Mini-14 has over the AR-15 is the less expensive base rifle cost. That's really it.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Thanks for the tips guys. I picked up a DPMS lite 16" in 5.56 cal. I wanted an AR for defense and to have so this lower end model fits the bill just fine.

Sponsored Links