22lr Ammo

This is a discussion on 22lr Ammo within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Savage model 64, bought it about a month ago. I've been using Winchester Dynapoint GT, which are 40 gr HP. I've noticed ...

Thread: 22lr Ammo

22lr Ammo

I have a Savage model 64, bought it about a month ago. I've been using Winchester Dynapoint GT, which are 40 gr HP.
    I've noticed about 5 percent jam in one fashion or another. This is the first 22 I've owned, I know my Glock 19 has never jammed once with about 5000 rounds through it.

Is it normal for a low caliber gun / bullet to jam? Is there any particular ammo which is less likely to jam?

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I use CCI Minimags in all my .22s and have never had a jam or a FFT so I would recomend them all the way.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rmilchman View Post
    I have a Savage model 64, bought it about a month ago. I've been using Winchester Dynapoint GT, which are 40 gr HP.
    I've noticed about 5 percent jam in one fashion or another. This is the first 22 I've owned, I know my Glock 19 has never jammed once with about 5000 rounds through it.

Is it normal for a low caliber gun / bullet to jam? Is there any particular ammo which is less likely to jam?

Thanks

Same thing happening to my buddies 10/22 with that exact ammunition. Basically, some guns just wont feed them. The tip is just too flat nosed to feed properly.

Try something else such as CCI blazer hollow points, Federal Champion hollow points or anything else that has a more rounded tip.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Thanks guys. I'll have to order some other Ammo. The Winchester was convenient because it was inexpensive and Dick's sold it.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    CCI minimag all the way if you have an auto loader. Basically any of the high velocity (read hotter loaded) ammunition. Those seem to be the best in my experience.

Otherwise, just accept that cheap .22 lr is exactly what it is, cheap. I don't use my .22's for selfdefense, I use them for plinking fun so a few malfunctions don't really bug me a lot. In fact, it can actually make you more proficient at recognizing a failure and how to react to it.

My wife is buying a walther p22 soon, I actually kind of look forward to her having a few ftf's and fte's. She is so used to her G19 performing so well that when she is shooting another weapon and it fails, she has to stop and really think through what to do.

P.S. .22lr in general is a very dirty ammo. I have found that most cases of consistent malfunctions may be a sign that the gun needs a real serious cleaning.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    CCI minimag all the way if you have an auto loader. Basically any of the high velocity (read hotter loaded) ammunition. Those seem to be the best in my experience.

Otherwise, just accept that cheap .22 lr is exactly what it is, cheap. I don't use my .22's for selfdefense, I use them for plinking fun so a few malfunctions don't really bug me a lot. In fact, it can actually make you more proficient at recognizing a failure and how to react to it.

My wife is buying a walther p22 soon, I actually kind of look forward to her having a few ftf's and fte's. She is so used to her G19 performing so well that when she is shooting another weapon and it fails, she has to stop and really think through what to do.

P.S. .22lr in general is a very dirty ammo. I have found that most cases of consistent malfunctions may be a sign that the gun needs a real serious cleaning.

Has she tried the p22? I let my sons (10,13) try one, it seemed to small even for their hands.

I ran a bore rope through the savage thinking it was dirty, but it didn't make a difference and it only had about 200 rounds through it when I tried that.

I have about 150 rounds of Winchester left, and will try to shoot that up next week. It's a shame it jams as it is so cheap, I guess you get what you pay for.

The CCI blazers seem to be about $36 for 500 at the sportsmanguide. Does anyone know any other sources?

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rmilchman View Post

The CCI blazers seem to be about $36 for 500 at the sportsmanguide. Does anyone know any other sources?

You gotta be kidding??? I buy bricks (500 to 525 rounds) of Federal and Blazer all day long for $17.00 at just about anywhere. Wal-Mart and Sportsmans Warehouse to be exact. If you have a Dick's Sporting goods try them. Cabellas or MidWay USA for online orders.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Dicks has the Winchester's that keep jamming. Wallmarts near me don't sell ammo, I'll try on in PA. I did find some Federal cheap on the web, but they were 36 gr and not 40. CCI seems to sell both mini-mag and non mini-mag. The mini-mags are more expensive and they are the ones that were $34.

The federal 550 count bulk box for about 14.00 at walmart feed reliably in every 22 I own including a full automatic conversion for an M16
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I shoot nothing but Federal "Brown Box" copper plated HP's. Still getting them (as of yesterday, anyway) for $13.50 otd at the local wallyworld. My whole shooting group uses them, and we may see 2 duds out of a 550 count box.And, unlike the Remington "Golden Bullets", the Federals are actually seated properly in the casings. I had at least 10-12 of each brick-box of the Rems to be seated 10 degrees out of square, or loose in the casings. The Federal copper plated bulk box are 36 grain, and a bit low powered, but great for general plinking.

surv

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    I have the same gun. Winchesters just don't seem to work in them at all. However the Federals work great, as do the Remingtons.

Try a few brands and work it out. You can't beat a 22lr for plinking.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

I buy whatever WalMart sells for .22LR. I buy the bulk boxes and right now have it by all manufacturers. So far both guns eat all of it.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Thanks for all the advice / feedback.

Links