shotgun capacity limits?

This is a discussion on shotgun capacity limits? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I tried to research this but couldn't find anything specific. I have heard that for hunting there may be limits on the magazine capacity for ...

Thread: shotgun capacity limits?

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar

shotgun capacity limits?

I tried to research this but couldn't find anything specific. I have heard that for hunting there may be limits on the magazine capacity for a shotgun, but for home defense, there is not. Is this the case? I live in Michigan and currently can only hold 3 shells in mine (capacity is listed at 6 from the mfgr). Thanks guys.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

2. Remove Ads

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    For hunting there are State and Federal regulations. For migratory birds the Feds limit to 2 + 1, Delaware uses this limit for all hunting, Maryland allows 4+1 for deer. For self defense I have never heard of any limits but MI is know for the bizarre.

Cheers,
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    For hunting purposes, typically, small game, upland game birds and deer will allow a maximum of 5 in the gun. Federal Waterfowl Regulations limit the gun to 3 max. If you have a 5 shot shotgun, you must use a plug for waterfowl. Never heard of a maximum for HD.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Lead Moderator
    No limits for HD AFAIK. Check to see if the plug is in your shotgun if it only will hold 3 shells.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The 3 round rule is only for migratory game birds. Other hunting in MI is semi auto is 6 rounds total in the gun. Pump, lever, etc action there is no restriction.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    yeah, the "plug" was in. i say it like that because it was a small dowel with two o-rings on it. i took it out. now it's 5+1.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    yeah, the "plug" was in. i say it like that because it was a small dowel with two o-rings on it. i took it out. now it's 5+1.
    Yep, that is a Mossberg plug.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I think the most capacity you can get is 9+1 for a Benelli "Practical" Tactical M1 Super 90. I guess one of those drum fed ones or a magazine fed shotgun could probably hold more. No laws about capacity that I have ever heard of though!

Austin

Might be a local law making it illegal to own a particular setup. I can't find a link for reference but I thought there was some California law making it illegal for civilian possession of a shotgun w/ pistol grip, folding stock and/or magazine for more than 5 rounds (i.e tactical shotguns). Not aware of any federal law prohibiting them and I hope it stays that way.

Links