Semi-Auto Rifle

This is a discussion on Semi-Auto Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have only owned Handguns, aside from a few bolt action hunting rifles and was interested in a semi auto rifle for SD and $%#@ ...

Thread: Semi-Auto Rifle

Semi-Auto Rifle

I have only owned Handguns, aside from a few bolt action hunting rifles and was interested in a semi auto rifle for SD and $%#@ hits the fan scenarios but I have no idea where to begin. I just want something that is not expensive $500 and under and very reliable and has a decent fire rate along with some range. Can anyone reccomend some affordable options? Plus, any online stores and resources would be appreciated since there are not many dealers around me. Thanks
    Last edited by jwalker497; February 16th, 2009 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Edit - I also would like an effective caliber for SD, probably a given but just thought I would add.

2. Remove Ads

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
    I just want something that is not expensive $500 and under and very reliable and has a decent fire rate along with some range. ... Thanks
    Rate of fire depends on on fast you can pull the trigger; until you go to a full auto which is way over $500. The Ruger mini-14 may suit your needs. This post on rifles offers other suggestions.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

If you want to have the ability to hunt with it I would look at a Remington 742 or 7400 in 30-06.
    You can still get 10 round mags for these(as of today).
    There great rifles. Good luck on your search.
    Oh yea, you can find them for under $400 and mags are 19.99.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

This gun would not be for hunting.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    The Kel Tec su16 is not a bad choice for that price range. It is chambered in 5.56x45 and takes standard AR mags as well as a few internal parts. It also folds up into a compact little package.

I tend to see them for around the $400-$460 mark depending on the specific model.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Flame Away

Hey jwalker497

I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but according to your specs; "Used for SD" (which means short range) and inexpensive, I keep a Hi Point 9mm carbine in the closet. $200.00 (approx), standard 9mm ammo, so it's cheaper to shoot and easy to find, 10 or 15 rnd mags available. Ugly as all get-out, but shoots every time. Made in USA and an unlimited lifetime warranty. Throw some good SD 147gr HP ammo into it and you have a pretty good compliment to your handguns. You can even get a cool looking ATI stock to put on it, as well as a laser from Hi Point.
    OK purists, have at me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadoo View Post
    Hey jwalker497

I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but according to your specs; "Used for SD" (which means short range) and inexpensive, I keep a Hi Point 9mm carbine in the closet. $200.00 (approx), standard 9mm ammo, so it's cheaper to shoot and easy to find, 10 or 15 rnd mags available. Ugly as all get-out, but shoots every time. Made in USA and an unlimited lifetime warranty. Throw some good SD 147gr HP ammo into it and you have a pretty good compliment to your handguns. You can even get a cool looking ATI stock to put on it, as well as a laser from Hi Point.
    OK purists, have at me.
    I just bought one from buds gun shop 202.00 delivered to your FFL and 59.95 ATI stock and it looks kinda like a beretta storm,9mm with 10 or 15 round mags and is pretty accurate at 25 yards
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
    ...a semi auto rifle...$500 and under...very reliable...some range...
    You're leaving open a huge realm of possibilities here. When you say you want some range... how far out you wanting to go? Pistol caliber carbines, as some recommended above, won't get you very far, something in 5.56 nato or .223rem will get you to 400 yards or so, further than that and you'll want something in .30-06 or 7.62 nato/.308 win. With your price range, you're going to be kinda limited...

You might find a Ruger Mini-14 in .223 under $500, used.

The Kel-tec SU rifles, also in .223, seems to get decent reviews in that price range, used.

You should look at the Russian Saiga rifles... they have them in .223 and .308 (as well as other calibers), they're very reliable, and fairly inexpensive.

You can still find used Cetme's in this price range, if you do some looking.

Personally, with your requirements, I'd be looking at spending a little more, and getting an M1 Garand from the CMP (http://www.odcmp.org).
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

yup

I agree completely with cmidkiff that if you want real range, you need to go to an actual rifle caliber like a .223 or even a 22-250. I'd love a good AK clone or an AR type and there are plenty of Mil-Surp stuff around, but 400 yards is not self defense range, and since that was one of Jwalker's criteria, you could be in legal trouble if you claim self defense and the BG was 100 yards, or more, away (unless it's a nice deer ).
    This is really a case where usage and intent should dictate. Personally, I have a 30.06 for Bambi and a .45 and the 9mm carbine for self defense.

VIP Member
    I have only owned Handguns, aside from a few bolt action hunting rifles and was interested in a semi auto rifle for SD and $%#@ hits the fan scenarios but I have no idea where to begin. I just want something that is not expensive $500 and under and very reliable and has a decent fire rate along with some range.

Why has it gotten to post #10 to say that the obvious choice with your parameters is an AK 47. It is around $500. Easy to maintain. It's reliability is legendary. Hits hard out to 200 yards. No other weapon in this price range even comes close to the power and reliability of an AK.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I just posted on the Beretta CX4. They will run just a bit higher in initial cost but running in 9MM you can shoot all day and still afford the ammo. I use the same clip as my Beretta 92FS interchangably and it's a fun day at the range when I take them both together
    2A is not negotiable

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Why has it gotten to post #10 to say that the obvious choice with your parameters is an AK 47. It is around $500. Easy to maintain. It's reliability is legendary. Hits hard out to 200 yards. No other weapon in this price range even comes close to the power and reliability of an AK.
    Because AK prices have been quite over inflated lately, worse than other platforms. At least where I live $600 WASR 10s are quite common.

However an SKS would be another viable option. They can still be had for around the $300 range.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

I say go for an SKS and spend the rest on ammo, bells and whistles!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

It is hard to find a decent AK for $500 anymore, and you still need magazines and ammo. Get an SKS. They are way overpriced, heavy, and don't look as cool as an AK. However, the SKS is just as reliable as an AK but generally more accurate, and can quickly be reloaded using stripper clips. $500 will get you a pretty decent one and 500 or so rounds of ammunition with stripper clips and maybe even a Tapco synthetic stock to cut down on the weight.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Links