I bought into the panic...AK-47

This is a discussion on I bought into the panic...AK-47 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Nice deal and good idea to buy it now. Buy lots of mags...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I bought into the panic...AK-47

Senior Moderator
    Nice deal and good idea to buy it now.

Buy lots of mags
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    The one news oddity about the AK-47 is that I've heard Russian has been considering changing caliber and is reviewing the future roll on the AK-47.

Gratz on the purchase.
    They did change calibers.... twice.

Went to 5.45 X 39 (AK74) for a while then now have decided to switch to NATO .223

Many of us have AK74s too. And a goodly supply of that cheap surplus Ammo that came in with them.

Yep, I've already bought one extra Bulgarian mag. Shame those are going up in price too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Looks very good. I mighta gone a shade darker, but that's just me. I really like this caliber and it seems like it should be a very dependable firearm.

How much weight could be saved by using synthetic stocks?

-
    Well actually, I didn't stop there...

Little more tung oil and some shellac worked wonders.

As for how much weight is saved, I'm not sure. The stock is laminated and the butt stock is somewhat hollow with it's little storage compartments, and the front handgaurds aren't very thick either, so probably not much. Personally I prefer the wood look.

Well, I was going to post another thread on the subject but since this one's back I might as well post it here...I took it to the range yesterday and shot some rounds through it.

100% reliable, and a heck of a lot of fun to shoot too. Accuracy at 100 yards wasn't bad either, though it wasn't as good as my Mosin Nagant M91/30 ex sniper that I also took.

I actually have a video:

YouTube - Shooting the AK47

Here's the Mosin Nagant too if you're interested:

YouTube - Shooting the ex sniper Mosin Nagant M91/30
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Do these guns have any sort of scope mount rail on top?

I like red dot scopes. Obviously, a long range scope isn't gonna transform a gun like this into a tack driver. Just asking if there's any sort of mounting rail.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

You can put a top cover rail on them, but due to the nature of that not being very solid that option is not very desirable. Since the top cover comes off and on to clean the internals its not likely to end up in exactly the same alignment each time. They can have a side rail mount riveted on which works quite well. Get one with the Rail already on it if you want to mount a scope or sighting device. It will be on the left side and the scope and mount will then come up and over and hang over the top. Sort of like a M14 scope mounting

Thumbs up AK47

Nice lookin' AK ya got there...good luck with her. The tung oil will really bring out the grain on the furniture. The arrow within a triangle marking makes the manufacturer the Romanian state arms factory at Cugir. The other two manufacturers are the SADU and Rom-Technika factories.

I personally own a Yugoslavian AKMS, which by definition makes it a a direct copy of the AKM, a "modernized" version of the base AK47 system. The major difference between the AKM and the AKMS is the inclusion of a folding steel buttstock, making the AKMS a more compact weapon system. The caliber is 7.62x37 M43 and she will eat WOLF steel cased ammo until red hot...the furniture is teak. Here's a pic...

SHOOTER13
    ================
    DoD: Peace thru Superior Firepower

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links