I bought into the panic...AK-47

This is a discussion on I bought into the panic...AK-47 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yep, but I figure it's an investment as their values will undoubtedly go up in the future. I can't even afford to shoot it after ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yep, but I figure it's an investment as their values will undoubtedly go up in the future.

I can't even afford to shoot it after I bought it but I'm glad I have one.

It's a Romanian WASR 10/63 which from what I understand isn't top of the line quality but will still be just as reliable which honestly, is all I really need it to do! Mine does have the little arrow in the triangle which apparently makes it a little better than the other WASR's out there. It also has a Tapco G2 trigger assembly which helps too.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Yup.....

Nice gun. I don't care for them myself but I definitely understand the investment and concur. I made my own investment purchase a little while ago.
    Attached Images
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Administrator
    Yes, RELIABLE is their middle name.
    Congratulations. Now....buy some magazines! Hurry up.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    i can't wait to see a range report from this guy! congrats!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

The one news oddity about the AK-47 is that I've heard Russian has been considering changing caliber and is reviewing the future roll on the AK-47.

Gratz on the purchase.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Congrats on the AK rifle. The AK-47 was never designed to be a work of art, and the WASR10 definitely shows that LOL! I consider mine to be my "go to" rifle.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

EAJ
    Congrats, the next challenge will be locating available and reasonably priced ammunition.

I picked up this Lancaster Arms AKM last November and have recently seen it listed for $300 more than I paid for it which I considered high for an AK at the time. Fortunately, I also ordered some ammunition back then.

Congrats!

You need to give us a range report :-)

Thanks guys! I will get a range report out as soon as possible...I plan on squeezing the funds and seeing if I can at least shoot one mag through it this weekend.

Also in the process of putting tung oil on the stock to make it a little more pleasing to the eye. Looks good so far. But it's going to need a few more coats. Pics later.

I've seen some really awesome refinishes on Romanian stocks, like this guy's:

Really beautiful work. I'm debating doing it, the process isn't that hard, I'm just not usually one to modify an older firearm no matter how common it may be. I dunno just yet. :\

Anyway though, I'm starting up the saving for mags and ammo. 10 and 1000 respectively sounds like a good starting place.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Unless you need to make 200 yard plus shots, the old ugly AK is a real comfort when the SHTF. The WASR may get no respect, but it will do the job!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I've owned an AR 15 for many years. Have never owned an AK . I'm not to keen on either the AR 15 or its .223 cartridge. The 7.62X39 cartridge looks like a better bet to me and the rifle's design looks more dependable.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Classic Arms Inc. is a good source for mags if you are interested.

A few from the stable...

And the fancy AK wearing the milled reciever...New in her original 16 year old box too!

From where I'm sitting it looks like it'll do the job. Enjoy your new rifle.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    From where I'm sitting it looks like it'll do the job. Enjoy your new rifle.
    Oh yeah, I will!

Here's what it looks like after my tung oil process. It took about 5 or 6 coats of the stuff with the 6th being really thick. The wood was so dry, the tung oil was completely absorbed and dried within minutes of each application until the final one which I let dry overnight. Now the color is deeper, and it doesn't look so much like bare wood.

Before:

After:

I'm pleased.

Oh and something else I forgot to mention earlier, when I picked mine out of the group I made sure that my gas chamber and front sight were not canted:

So yeah, I'm going to see what I can do about at least putting one mag through it this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post
    Oh yeah, I will!

Here's what it looks like after my tung oil process. It took about 5 or 6 coats of the stuff with the 6th being really thick. .....

So yeah, I'm going to see what I can do about at least putting one mag through it this weekend.

Looks very good. I mighta gone a shade darker, but that's just me. I really like this caliber and it seems like it should be a very dependable firearm.

How much weight could be saved by using synthetic stocks?

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links