Defensive Carry banner

My little bug out rifle setup.

7K views 46 replies 36 participants last post by  LeCalsey 
#1 ·
Below is my current light duty rifle. (scope is currently on another rifle.)

What it is is a Savage model 62. A semi automatic chambered in 22lr.

As it is now the rifle is quite light and easy to carry just about anywhere. However I felt it could be made at the very least slightly more useful. Especially if I ever got lost on one of my hunting trips.

So first thing I thought of was "What is in the stock?" Well it turned that nothing was in the stock. So I decided to change that.

First up was about 75 feet of fishing line rated for #14 along with four circle hooks in 3 different sizes.

The reasoning for the circle hooks is that they do not need to be set to catch the fish. Which means that I can set various lines up onto tree branches while I gather wood or other supplies.

Next up was ammunition and an extra magazine. Since without either the rifle at best is a poor fishing rod.

The magazine is a 10 rounder loaded with mini mags along with an extra 50 rounds or so.

Next up was some fire equipment.

First in the fire equipment was 10 strike anywhere matches. Tied together with a "twisty tie" that is holding some soda tabs that can be quite useful for fishing.

Also in the fire preps is a good old fashioned sparker. In case the matchest get wet or otherwise fail.

Here is everything all put together.

Now after it was all together it rattled just a tiny bit so I took a paper towel to take up the remaining space.

As you can see that was the final linchpin the the project so that it now has developed a heavenly glow of awesome. :)

Well there ya go. My little weekend project.

Any comments on how to improve the rig, or questions are more than welcome.

Note: The Paper towel has been replaced with a length of tin foil.

Also a good amount of dryer lint was added to replace the paper as tinder.

See less See more
#3 ·
Better yet, immerse the matches in wax. They'll be waterproof and they'll burn longer and brighter. Same with the dryer lint. It makes a great fire starter and will burn for awhile and hot enough to dry out tinder if everything is wet.

Also a small pocketknife would come in handy.

#10 ·
i don't have anything like this setup. Haven't really thought much about it, but I suppose if SHTF I'll just grab by backpacking backpack....has most of my outdoor stuff already in it

#17 ·
The magnesium stick is excellent... I was gonna suggest a small Leatherman-type multi-tool... or a Swiss Army knife...?

If we keep this up, he's gonna need a Samsonite...

#21 ·
Good start, follow the advice like the dryer lint and paracord.

Keep updating your rifle kit

#27 ·
You would be surprised how well those soda tabs work at attacting catfish and bass. Especially catfish. :smile:

Yes I always carry at least one knife on my person. Unfortunately I have a bad habit of breaking the tips off the blades by using them for prying. But the good thing is that my little folder I always carry works perfectly on the back screws of the rifle.

I am thinking of either making a sling out of mule tape or making a sling out of leather and then wrapping it in mule tape. I prefer mule tape to paracord because it is generally cheaper and I believe stronger. (The stuff I have is rated for 2000lbs.)

Generally speaking this is my rabbit gun, and I set it up like this mostly out of boredom, but also of the fear that I would get lost in the woods while tracking down wraskalie wabbits. :gah:

Will give the lighter some thought.

Also for waterproofing I was thinking of just dipping the end in hot wax and then pressing on the back plate to create a sort of gasket. Any idea how well that would work?

#25 ·
Maybe this is too obvious, (I didn't see it mentioned) but do you routinely carry a multi-tool to take the screws off the butt-plate to get to the stuff?
Great work though.

#26 ·
On the matches, remember; Run a damp one through your hair 12-15 times before striking....usually lights right up when you strike it. Unless of course your hair is wet too. Then just sit in the rain and wonder why you didn't pack the lighter instead.

#29 ·
#35 ·
Really? That's it, I'm throwing out my duct tape...:blink:

To the OP and others...some great ideas in this thread. :yup:

#32 ·
Rember in an emergency you can use the rim of a 22 round as a screw driver.
The old 1911 grip screws were designed to be removed with the rim of a round. You should have some streamers tied on a few of the hooks in case you can't find bait (Leach, Muddler Minnow, Black Ghost). Empty 22 casings flattened and bent in half can be used as sinkers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.