More AR questions

This is a discussion on More AR questions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think I've finally broken down and am going to order my AR from RRA. I have a question on rifle barrels what is the ...

Thread: More AR questions

More AR questions

I think I've finally broken down and am going to order my AR from RRA.
    I have a question on rifle barrels what is the difference/advantage of Chrome/moly vs Chrome lined vs stainless steel?

Thanks
    Jamie
    We the willing, being guided by the unknowing, Doing impossible feats, for the ungrateful, Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
    We now feel qualified to do, absolutely anything, with literally nothing

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Not much difference. Chrome lined bore allegedly lasts longer but is less accurate. If you clean your rifle after every use it will not matter. FWIW, neither of my AR's are chrome lined. I really don't think it makes any difference. I am sure there are some who will disagree but as a civilian sport shooter I really dont get to send thousands of rounds downrange over the course of a year for it to make a difference. And the ammo I do use is non-corrosive anyway.

BAC
    Chrome-lined bores last significantly longer, as well as easier to clean. The less you shoot the less a benefit this is to you, really.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    Not much difference. Chrome lined bore allegedly lasts longer but is less accurate. If you clean your rifle after every use it will not matter. FWIW, neither of my AR's are chrome lined. I really don't think it makes any difference. I am sure there are some who will disagree but as a civilian sport shooter I really dont get to send thousands of rounds downrange over the course of a year for it to make a difference. And the ammo I do use is non-corrosive anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Chrome-lined bores last significantly longer, as well as easier to clean. The less you shoot the less a benefit this is to you, really.

-B
    +1 to both.

Accuracy go stainless or chrome-moly.

Longevity go chrome lined.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

If you are looking for a match rifle, go stainless.

If you are looking for an all around rifle, go with chrome lined. It's easier to clean, and lasts longer. As far as accuracy concerns, the military rifles are all chrome lined, and I can hit in the black at 500 yards no problem on a human size silhouette.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Moderator
    Chrome line rifles began life because full auto fire is hard on them. When they got very hot from continuous fire, they tend to erode in the throat area much quicker than normal.

Since AR's are semi, there isn't much advantage to it other than not having to clean them so often.

I have had several of both and unless you are shooting for competition where scores are measured in thousanths of inches, there isnt enough difference for the average shooter to worry about.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Chrome line rifles began life because full auto fire is hard on them. When they got very hot from continuous fire, they tend to erode in the throat area much quicker than normal.

Since AR's are semi, there isn't much advantage to it other than not having to clean them so often.

I have had several of both and unless you are shooting for competition where scores are measured in thousanths of inches, there isnt enough difference for the average shooter to worry about.
    +2 - Well said.

Links