Best .357 Sig carbine ideas (even 9mm & .40 S&W)

This is a discussion on Best .357 Sig carbine ideas (even 9mm & .40 S&W) within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was reading a post from December about AR-15 .357 Sig carbines. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...sig-rifle.html The topic was AR-15 platforms, so I started this thread to avoid ...

Thread: Best .357 Sig carbine ideas (even 9mm & .40 S&W)

Best .357 Sig carbine ideas (even 9mm & .40 S&W)

I was reading a post from December about AR-15 .357 Sig carbines.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...sig-rifle.html

The topic was AR-15 platforms, so I started this thread to avoid derailing that post. An AR-15 .357 Sig is a fun idea and all, but given what you get, and for the price, I think the following are better concepts:

Kel Tec

What I like best about the sub-2000 is how easy it would be to store. I have been told you can order a .357 Sig version of the sub-2000. In addition there you can request versions that will accept Glock, S&W, Beretta, and SIG Mags (so you can match the carbine to your pistol's mag).

Mech Tech Systems, Inc.

Another option for Glock owners would be the replacement upper called Glock CCU.

I'm not sure about performance and quality differences between the sub-2000 and the CCU. However I think I favor the sub-2000 as you get a firearm (using the spare mags you already have) without having to lose a pistol (Glock lower) in the process. I'm not sold on either, but something I think about.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

2. Remove Ads

BAC
    If you can wait, someone is coming out in a few weeks with 9mm, blow-back ARs designed from the ground up to take Glock magazines. A little more info here. A lot of folks haven't been happy with Colt and Olympic Arms 9mm ARs, so there is definitely a market for this and I admit that an 7"-8", suppressed 9mm carbine sounds stupid fun.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    I was reading a post from December about AR-15 .357 Sig carbines.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...sig-rifle.html

The topic was AR-15 platforms, so I started this thread to avoid derailing that post. An AR-15 .357 Sig is a fun idea and all, but given what you get, and for the price, I think the following are better concepts:

Kel Tec

What I like best about the sub-2000 is how easy it would be to store. I have been told you can order a .357 Sig version of the sub-2000. In addition there you can request versions that will accept Glock, S&W, Beretta, and SIG Mags (so you can match the carbine to your pistol's mag).

Mech Tech Systems, Inc.

Another option for Glock owners would be the replacement upper called Glock CCU.

I'm not sure about performance and quality differences between the sub-2000 and the CCU. However I think I favor the sub-2000 as you get a firearm (using the spare mags you already have) without having to lose a pistol (Glock lower) in the process. I'm not sold on either, but something I think about.

where do you get the information pertaining to KT releasing a .357 sig chambering in the S2K platform?

Kel Tec

just curious. If there's something along those lines I haven't heard about, I need to pass it along on a couple of other forums

surv

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    where do you get the information pertaining to KT releasing a .357 sig chambering in the S2K platform?
    Thanks for calling me on this, it is just wishful thinking. I'll call KT next week sometime to see if a .357 Sig sub-2000 could be special ordered. I'll report when I do.

PS -

I read on another forum that you could take a .40 S&W Glock version of the sub-2000 and use a 9mm barrel, and ream the chamber for .357 Sig. It is not the same, but close.
    Last edited by Thanis; February 19th, 2009 at 08:33 PM.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    it does sound interesting, but I'm not sure how the Subbie would handle the extra smack.

I would like to have a .357 sig barrel/action for my CX4 too. Sure don't hurt to wish

surv

Any chance of Sig turning the MPX-C into a civilian carbine?
    Unreconstructed to the End.
    Dum Vivimus Vivamus
    Death smiles at us all...but only FMF Corpsmen smile back

Best caliber on planet Earth. I'll take 3 please.

Sponsor
    Just Right Carbines

Nothing in .357sig as of yet but these are some nice sticks!
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

As a lover of pistol cal rifle I will pass on what I know . I know that there is a mpx for civis both in 16inch barrel and sbr version not sure how far along it is.

Secondly only the sub-9 the version before the sub-200 could change mag types but not rounds to my understanding ( so you could switch from s&w to Beretta mags etc) . I have never seen a civilian 357 sig rifle . Mectech uppers may be best shot some seem to work for sub calibers so maybe call them and ask? And if you hear back form KT that would be awesome ..

I know a 10mm or 357 sig rifle would be very nice. But I think most stuck with 9/40/45 as they were either meant as cop guns or the rounds/mags are very popular . So maybe if the round catch on they will make one ..

I think it's an interesting idea with some merit, but I'm not sure if there's much demand for it. On the one hand a carbine is light, easy to shoot and (in standard pistol cartridges) cheap and easy to handload for. But choosing a bottlenecked round means no carbide dies and more hassle to reload. Also, .357 Sig ammo is a fair bit more expensive than 9mm while not offering a huge performance gain considering a carbine with a 16" pipe. Lastly, while I like the carbine in concept I'm not sure I would honestly buy one when a 5.56 version would be about the same size, weight and price.

Still it's kind of intriguing.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Being the huge fan I am of the .357SIG round, I for one would love to get my paws on one. I hear a lot about it being hard to locate ammo and about insane prices, but in my experiences, neither has been the case. Besides .22 (I'd imagine a given for most folks), .357SIG is the round I go through the most of, just barely beating out .45.

ETA: Since I already have a 5.56 I'm very happy with, I wouldn't mind dropping about the same coin for one.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flfiremedic View Post
    Any chance of Sig turning the MPX-C into a civilian carbine?
    There is a civilian carbine, but it suffers from the same issue that most submachine gun-made-civilian firearms do, it sure looks goofy with a 16" barrel...
    Hakkaa päälle!

Yeah about most of the civi sub guns look funny ( ie the uzi, mp5 clones etc) . If they would come out with a pistol version that could be very nice . Or if you are in free state just sbr the thing too.

Links