good semi auto shotgun for home defense and plinking

This is a discussion on good semi auto shotgun for home defense and plinking within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello, I am new in this board. I am intersted in buying am semi auto 12 gauge shotgun for plinking an sd. But I am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: good semi auto shotgun for home defense and plinking

Hello, I am new in this board. I am intersted in buying am semi auto 12 gauge shotgun for plinking an sd. But I am a shotgun newbie and I would be be pleased hearing some suggestions.

ps: I am from austria and pump action shotguns are prohibited since 1996, so I am forced to buy am semi auto modell or an double barreld shotgun.

I have a Mossberg 9200 semi auto combo package i bought that comes with a 18.5" cylinder bore HD barrel and a 28" vent rib ported barrel with choke tubes for skeet shooting or hunting.I also own a beretta 390 semi auto with a 28" barrel and a Browning Gold Hunter 12 ga 28" barrel.The mossberg was the least expensive even with 2 barrels and has a safety that is ambidextrous.(No Pump action but can own a Semi-Auto Hmmmmmm)
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

thx for your answer. And yes that's an odd law, but gun bans never make sense. Thx for your answer dukalmighty I will check if the models you have mentioned are available.

ps: Which buckshot or birdshot size would be the best choice for sd in an bulding (flat)? The walls are very thick, so the risk of overpenetration even which buckshot should be minmal, but I am not an expert.

Best HD IMHO is either #4 buckshot or 00 buckshot,either one should stop the threat
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Welcome to DefensiveCarry! Glad to have you.

Quote Originally Posted by pete00 View Post
    ps: Which buckshot or birdshot size would be the best choice for sd in an bulding (flat)? The walls are very thick, so the risk of overpenetration even which buckshot should be minmal, but I am not an expert.
    Earlier thread on Shotgun Ammo - Buckshot.

I use #1 Buck in my Remington 870 Police, pump, 14" bbl.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    FN has some nice offerings, and they are from your neck of the woods.

Other than that, I'd take a look at the Remington 1187 or Benelli's offerings. If you can find one, Beretta makes a really nice defensive shotgun, the 1201. You might have better luck finding one in Europe than I do here in the States.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Shotguns for hunting tend to have long barrels. For SD shorter barrel is better for maneuvering. I am not sure how to plink with a shotgun.

No pump is very odd while allowing semi-auto, are you sure about that?
    Yoda, I am, yes.

A Remington 1187 with rifle sighted slug bbl, 3" chamber, and screw in chokes.
    Get an extra sporting vent rib bbl with screw in chokes (I like 26") 3" chambers.

#1 3" mag buck = 24 .30 cal pellets

00 3" mag buck = 15 .33 cal pellets

#1 - 2 3/4" mag buck = 20 .30 cal pellets

00 - 2 3/4" mag buck = 12 .33 cal pellets.

I prefer # 1 for the pellet count but pattern you shotgun and find what load it likes best, Tight wads of buckshot kill much quicker than wide spread patterns.

Good luck

Thx for the further information.

@Yoda Yes am I sure. Since 1996 pump action shotguns are considered as Kiegsmaterial (war material). People you have bought an pump action shotgun befor 1996, had the chance to get an special permition to keep there shotguns, but this special permition was very hard to get.

ps :what do you think about lever action actions? It have the chance to get an norinco winchester 1887 clone at good price. And I will visit my local gun store tormorow to check the prices of the semi auto shotguns you have mentioned.

Thx again for the great answers.
    Last edited by pete00; February 24th, 2009 at 05:15 PM.

In the meantime i have checked the availabilty of the shotguns you have mentioned. It would be possible to get an remington 11-87, beretta 1201, and the benelli m1. I think I will buy the remington 11-87.

VIP Member
    I think you'll be pleased with the Remington - in my admittedly limited experience, it is a workhorse of a shotgun. Let us know how you like it!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I think you'll be pleased with the Remington - in my admittedly limited experience, it is a workhorse of a shotgun. Let us know how you like it!
    Yes, I will do that. I have heared only good thins about the remington shotungs. And the 11-87 is the cheapest semi auto shotgun available at my local gunstore. The baretta and the benelli offerings are way to expensive for my budget. I think the remington would be the best choice.

Administrator
    Thats an excellent choice. Just curious though, What do those shotguns go for in Austria?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Thats an excellent choice. Just curious though, What do those shotguns go for in Austria?

It cost € 1199. But mayby I have the chance to get it a bit cheaper. I have also seen an nice remington 1100, but this gun is chambered in 28 gauge, and for sd this catridge ist not suitable. And I am allready the owner of an 28 gauge single shot shotgun.

ps: With 12 gauge buckshot factory ammo would you recomend? Here in austria I can everything from the major us ammo companies, like, federal, winchester, remington, hornady.
    Last edited by pete00; February 25th, 2009 at 11:51 AM.

Administrator
    Most all of them are good. I prefer Federal and Hornady myself.

Oh yeah, I dont like the 1100 for a defensive gun. For a bird gun its great, but the gas system limits what you can do with it. The 1187 is a better choice IMO. And yes 28ga isnt an ideal defense choice.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links