Home Defense 12 gauge or AR 15?

This is a discussion on Home Defense 12 gauge or AR 15? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not to take over but... Hey Ront, how do you like that 500...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Home Defense 12 gauge or AR 15?

Not to take over but... Hey Ront, how do you like that 500

2. Remove Ads

12 Ga. for close work.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    12ga- Saiga 12ga (semi-auto)

Backed Up with 870 ESM.

I think penetration of 12 ga. vs. the AR .223 is kind of a moot point. It's been proven that with proper loads, the .223 does not pose a problem for neighbors and such. It's just really a non issue as far as I'm concerned.

My main criteria is in "weapon retention." If you get into a scrap and someone tries to disarm you, it can be easier for someone to get the shotgun out of your hands than an AR-15 with stock totally collapsed and tucked in under your armpit.

My collapsible stock Colt AR-15 is much easier to wield in close quarters and easier to defeat a disarming attempt than my full length stock Mossberg 590 with 20" barrel.

It is certainly more easy for the wife to formidably wield and maintain control of the AR-15 for my short wife than the shotgun as well. Not that she can't shoot the 12 ga. well... but for weapon retention, it's the AR-15 for her.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I would say 12 guage for sure, even if you miss the sound alone will scare the "brown" out of them. There is a .45 on each side of my bed along with a Benelli Nova under it.

When my AR-15 finally arrives it'll be my go-to gun. To me the much higher capacity is a big advantage. I plan to set it up with two clipped together 30rd magazines. Even one 30 rounder is a heck of a lot more ammo than a shotgun can carry. There was a forum member here who had an extended gunfight in his apartment - after reading that I decided that high ammo capacity is key.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post
    I would say 12 guage for sure, even if you miss the sound alone will scare the "brown" out of them. There is a .45 on each side of my bed along with a Benelli Nova under it.
    Disregarding the fact that this is pure supposition and is demonstrably unprovable, the report from an AR is louder (generally speaking) than that of a 12 gauge.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member

Cha Ching

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Nothing looks worse to an intruder than a nickle coach gun...a Stoeger (reworked) Nickle Coach Gun Supreme...two big barrels of 12 ga with 00 buck.
    And as was recently pointed out to me by my not-so-friendly neighborhood Mossberg store clerk, nothing causes a BG pause quite like the nearby sound of racking a 12 ga round - "you won't have to shoot 'em: they'll be out the door".
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

12 ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    And as was recently pointed out to me by my not-so-friendly neighborhood Mossberg store clerk, nothing causes a BG pause quite like the nearby sound of racking a 12 ga round - "you won't have to shoot 'em: they'll be out the door".
    The one time I came face-to-face with a BG in a home encounter, the sound of the 12ga. being racked and the sight of it being pointed at the BG's head did NOT influence his decisions. He was non-compliant to the point he almost dictated his own fate. He deliberated a physical altercation with me even though he knew the shotgun was racked and pointed at his head. At the last moment, better judgement won out for him and he had the common sense to cease further encounter, turn foot and run.

Do not count on a 12ga. being chambered changing the course of the encounter in your favor. Be fully prepared to follow through.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    I'm positive that in the dark, I can rack an AR-15, a 1911, and a shotgun, and all will produce the same reaction or lack of reaction from someone else in the area who is unable to see me.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing that, Sarge. People desperately need to understand that...

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

I'll tell you from personal experience that sound WILL get your attention. Especially if you don't see it.
    About 10 yrs. ago I was arrested. I had at least 4 guns pointed at me and that didn't bother me in the least. Then somewhere behind me I heard the unmistakable sound of a pumper chambering a shell. Even though I had never heard that sound in person before it still sent a shiver down my spine and made my legs turn to jelly. Had that officer been in front of me where I could see him it likely would not have had as much impact.
    I'm not 100% on BAC's assessment that an AR or 1911 would have the same effect since it's not a universally inimitable sound like a scattergun makes.

Even one 30 rounder is a heck of a lot more ammo than a shotgun can carry.
    Assuming there are no 30rd. drums for Saigas out there.

I'd still rather have one of these. USAS-12 Select fire 20rd. cap. 12Ga.

home defense

Quote Originally Posted by Klaatu View Post
    Go get your pump. Wrack the slide. Did you hear it?

that sound
    yep, not sure that they could'nt hear it. nice responce.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

VIP Member
    ...as was recently pointed out to me by my not-so-friendly neighborhood Mossberg store clerk...
    And we all know that gun store clerks would never, ever, EVAR give out bad information...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links