Long Distance Self-Defense Rifle

This is a discussion on Long Distance Self-Defense Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; at those distances I would say a Rem 700 in plain old 30/06 with a decent scope...ammo available at most Mom and Pop shops and ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Long Distance Self-Defense Rifle

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    at those distances I would say a Rem 700 in plain old 30/06 with a decent scope...ammo available at most Mom and Pop shops and deadly accurate...why would you even need a semi auto at scope range distances if you have accuracy on your side to begin with?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    My reccomendation for a best bang for the buck out of the box accurate .308 in a heavy barrelled bolt gun would be a Howa.
    Really about the best answer, so far. I would only suggest that if you forsee moving about your property, or carrying the rifle for any significant distance, getting a medium to light contour barrel. With Howa, Sako, Savage and Steyr, you won't be able to appreciate much real difference in performance. If you're firing more than 20 rounds at 300+ you need lots more volume.
    The Savage 110 FP is a best-buy.

Senior Moderator
    Something to ponder..

Bolt action rifles are fine for hunting, but they seriously lack for defensive purposes. If you dont think so, one only has to look at the banzai charges of the Japananese using bolt action rifles against Soldiers and Marines using the M1semi automatice. The Japs found out the hard way that bolt actions against semi's were a serious handicap.

Its also the reason that every military in the world uses semi or full auto for the troops.

If you really want to survive a true SHTF scenario, dont make the mistake of spending your money on a bolt action rifle, escpecially if you already have one.
    Although every one here gives well meaning advice, some of is not based in reality.Although a bolt can be an effective tool at stand off distances, it is not the tool of choice when multiple targets are shooting back at you.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

150 to 300 yards, semi auto, under $750...

That's an easy one.

Though I would probably pick an AK over just about anything else at any price range, if we're debating SHTF guns.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Something to think about, What ever you get make sure its something that will always be avalible (ammo). USE NATO rounds, U.S.A. uses 223. Enemy uses 7.62..... You cant go wrong.... Also, its better to have 15 or 30 round Mags, than a bolt action rifle that only holds a few bullets.
    * Armed Forces, Keep America Free *

Would the Ruger Mini 14 be a good choice?

Senior Moderator
    You can get an AR for the same price as a Mini-14 and you can get mags for a AR.

In your price range I would have to go with either a CETME or one of the Kel Tec's SU16's

You can try one of the Saiga's in .308 look here http://www.classicarms.us/
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
    Would the Ruger Mini 14 be a good choice?
    The Mini-14 is a good choice, but it does have two drawbacks.

First, the magazines are expensive and not as readily available as those for the AR.

Second, it is not as accurate “out of the box” as the AR is. The newer ones are better than the older ones, but still not as accurate as an AR. If you already have one, the Mini-14 can be accurized for much less than a new AR can be had. If you do not already have one, the AR is a better deal unless you can get the Mini for less than $600.00 on a new one or less than $300.0 on an older one. For a newer one costing much more than $600.00, you will end up spending more because of the cost of magazines (I have seen Ruger 20 rnd mags for as much as $65.00+ and you will want several of them). For an older one you will spend an additional several hundred (could be as much as $900.00 depending on what you have done to it) to make it acceptably accurate.

Personally, I am having my Mini-14 accurized because I already have it and the magazines and that is less expensive than buying a new AR. It will cost me about $700.00 for a new barrel and trigger group, but it comes with a guarantee of 1.5 MOA which is plenty accurate for me.

Is your budget for the rifle itself or rifle and ammo and bells and whistles?
    If you are talking just for the rifle itself then something like a CETME would be tough to beat. Now if you want magazines and ammo the price of course goes up. I don't know what AK's are going for these days, but I think AR's might be out of your price range.
    SKS' can be had well in your price range with money left over for ammo and plastic stocks and other toys.

As far as bolt guns, the Brits with the SMLE used to shoot what was called a Mad Minute. IIRC that was thirty aimed shots at 200 yards and was part of their infantry qualification. The .303 is a "real" rifle cartridge like our .30-06.
    As far as .308 Bolt guns I second the Savage 110FP! I have tweaked mine a little and as far as accuracy goes I would put it up against any .308 rifle out there, regardless of cost.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Is your budget for the rifle itself or rifle and ammo and bells and whistles?
    This is a very good point. Whenever I buy a gun I usually end up spending as much as the gun cost on mags, holsters, slings, optics, and ammo to get familiar with the weapon.

I will not be making 300-yard sniper shots.
    I will be sticking around the home-front.
    I'll depend upon my Marlin 30-30...it's a winner!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I will not be making 300-yard sniper shots.
    I will be sticking around the home-front.
    I'll depend upon my Marlin 30-30...it's a winner!
    True story. I was 13 or 14, deer hunting with my trusty model 94 and out of the tree line on the other side of field from me came a pack of wild dogs. They had taken calves recently - big, wild dogs. I made too much noise while retreating behind a tree by stepping on a downed limb and almost instantly they were coming for me. I dropped 4 before the rest called retreat, another 2 on the run before they made cover and 4 got away. 6 down with 2 requiring 2 hits, 3 probable misses makes for 11 rounds. As I sit to catch my breath I hear my dad's signal. I signal back and he comes over the hill to check on me. He was worried because he was sure he had just heard a semi-auto cutting loose. Recall that a lever action model 94 holds 6 in the tube plus 1. For years I was annoyed that folks joked about how fast I shot (the last 4 being top loaded single-shots) instead of remembering that I got 6 out of 10 big, fast, mean, wild dogs on the run.

30-30 is double plus good
    I like Marlins, but I can cycle a Winchester faster under stress
    Not all threats walk on 2 legs

I feel like a broken record, but I love mine...

Romanian PSL. 7.62x54 (.311 - power wise about equal or just heavier than a .308) Semi auto, 10 round mags, 800m fairly easy. Ammo is still pretty cheap to stock up on. Mine shot .75 MOA out of the box at 100m.

Available $650-$750 depending on where you order from.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member
    I am assuming that you are not a gun person, if that premise is right, well, I am jumping on the 30-30 band wagon.

Easy maintenance, safer for a beginner, ammo is easy to find, the gun is a joy to carry, ballistics are close to a 7.62 x 39. and a lever action is easy to work, and will put a fair amount of lead down field.

And I forgot you will be under budget.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    at those distances I would say a Rem 700 in plain old 30/06 with a decent scope...ammo available at most Mom and Pop shops and deadly accurate...why would you even need a semi auto at scope range distances if you have accuracy on your side to begin with?
    That's my take on it too. A .308 would be a good one too.

However, at 150-300 yds..... I like my Win 94 30-30, and my Marlin Cowboy (24" brrl). Both lever actions. Wouldn't trade them. The 30-30 is definitely going to be less expensive.

I've had a very similar experience with some wild dogs.... with 3 of them foaming from the mouth like crazy and while I was on a horse. It took me a minute to convince the horse the best option was to "run" for it....... right toward the truck where the 30-30 was...... same result, after dropping the rabid one's first.... the others decided to leave in a hurry.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links