Long Distance Self-Defense Rifle

This is a discussion on Long Distance Self-Defense Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Assuming SHTF and one needed a defensive rile, please help me find a relativley Cheap ($750 & under) Semi-Auto Rifle that would be a good ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long Distance Self-Defense Rifle

Assuming SHTF and one needed a defensive rile, please help me find a relativley Cheap ($750 & under) Semi-Auto Rifle that would be a good for SD purposes. I emphasize cheap and prefer it to be $500 and under but would be willing to go to $750. This rifle would not be for hunting, purely Self Defense. I don't really know too much about rifles aside from a few Bolt action Deer rifles. Please let me know what claiber I should be considering and what type of capacity, features, etc I need to look for. I welcome your reccomendations. Thanks, in advance.

I take exception to your premise. Long distance is not a legitimate self defense concept, IMO. That said, cheap and long distance accuracy tend to be mutually exclusive. An M1 through the Civilian Marksmanship Program may meet your requirements.

I realize that I may have contradicted myself, but I didn't know how to clarify it. I am looking for a general all purpose Semi-auto rifle with range of 150 to 300yds w/in my budget.

Senior Moderator
    When the SHTF there will be no contradictions or exceptions to rules because there will be none.

Whatever one will have to do to survive becomes the rule of the day.

With that being said, look at HK 91 or clone, it's a .308 and will penetrate cover much better, or at the very least an AK which can still be had for your financial goal.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Klaatu View Post
    I take exception to your premise. Long distance is not a legitimate self defense concept, IMO. That said, cheap and long distance accuracy tend to be mutually exclusive. An M1 through the Civilian Marksmanship Program may meet your requirements.
    I think a SHTF senario requires a realignment of the definition for self defense; survival versus formal legal definition.

As for the OP try (in no particular order) almost any AK variant, Ruger mini 14, or even the Kel-Tec Su rifles.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    I think a SHTF senario requires a realignment of the definition for self defense; survival versus formal legal definition.
    Unless and until we have open Civil War, I think it is important to remain careful with labels. For the survival 'ish category, I like a .308

I also think the current (not just here) SHTF frenzy only serves to increase the resolve and numbers of those who would restrict our rights. It may help stimulate the economy of arms companies, but it does not help the 2A cause. Just my opinion. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    When the SHTF there will be no contradictions or exceptions to rules because there will be none.

Whatever one will have to do to survive becomes the rule of the day.
    I think this depends on the definition of SHTF, which varies a lot from person to person. Are we talking Katrina, or are we talking TEOTWAWKI? If it's the former, then the rules might be a little looser than normal, but you can't just go shooting everyone who might be a threat to you. If it's the latter, then all bets are off.

I apologize if I am mistaken but it sounds like you are new to the world of rifles, welcome!

300 yards from almost any rifle is not unreasonable. Any military option would work.

We still don't have a lot to go on from the information you've provided.

You have a budget, and want to shoot 150-300 yards.

Is weight a concern? How about the cost of ammo, magazines? What about maintenance (Do you want a Honda or a Jaguar)?

Consider a list of criteria, here is mine as an example (tailored to my needs):

1. Light enough for my wife to carry (including ammo)
    2. Light enough recoil for my wife to shoot comfortably
    3. Availability of spare parts and ease of replacement/repair
    4. Availability of related gear
    5. "good" to 500 meters

It came down to the AK and the AR for us, and the AR won in the recoil department handily, with a bit of a grudging win in so far as weight of ammo.

I like Hotguns suggestion to look at the HK 91 - it was way too heavy for us, but it would be a great option otherwise.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Unless and until we have open Civil War, I think it is important to remain careful with labels.
    Agreed sorry if you thought I was labeling, sometimes I admit I fall into the gut reaction scenario.

For the survival 'ish category, I like a .308.
    Heck ya the only .223 I have is in a pistol configuration but I have a couple rifles in .308. I am a snob none of that commie 7.62 stuff for me.

I also think the current (not just here) SHTF frenzy only serves to increase the resolve and numbers of those who would restrict our rights. It may help stimulate the economy of arms companies, but it does not help the 2A cause. Just my opinion. YMMV.
    I feel ya but, we are individuals, if the black helicopters are coming, will have warning
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

sorry if you thought I was labeling

Not at all. I just like to be clear.

sorry if you thought I was labeling

Not at all. I just like to be clear.

My friend your responses, your screen name and you avatar are great, now stop freaking me out.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Like Matiki said, any military style rifle will do. There are plenty of options available in .308, but your budget is going to limit you to one of the HK clones, and you might not be able to find one for your price.

Honestly, I would go with a bolt action if you want a heavy hitter for distance. The recoil in a .308 auto is not going to be condusive to putting multiple hits on a target at far ranges. You would be better, in my opinion, to get a good bolt gun and become proficient with it.

My reccomendation for a best bang for the buck out of the box accurate .308 in a heavy barrelled bolt gun would be a Howa.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I have my bugout rifle. 300 win mag bolt action. a few boxes of ammo. and when that is gone. a recurve bow.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

If you are looking for under 300 yards an AK variant or SKS should hold you over pretty well. For up to like 500 yards an AR, or .308's like the h&k clones mentioned above. Although the ak or sks will probably be the most budget friendly for you.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    For the price range that you want, my opinion is an AK.
    Reasons:
    1) Quality. AKs are built to a very loose tolerance, and tends not to have many problems. Something you might consider given the situation that you mentioned.
    2) I agree that the .308 is an optimal round. However, you're not going to find one in the price range that you want, at least for the use that you want. Hunting may be different. The 7.62 X 39 to me is a far better defense round than the .223. Hollow points, something not available to the military, will improve matters, but I still believe that the 7.62X 39 round is superior.
    3) You can get a decent AK IN YOUR PRICE RANGE. I love my .308 Socom II, but at around $1900, it's a tab higher than the price range you want.
    4) 7.62 X 39 ammo is a bit cheaper than the .223

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links