Shotgun weapon light

This is a discussion on Shotgun weapon light within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Wasabi I like this idea. Would mounting it to the barrel (Saiga 12) be a bad idea? I've got a small rail ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun weapon light

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    I like this idea. Would mounting it to the barrel (Saiga 12) be a bad idea? I've got a small rail on my handguard to mount a flashlight but this mount seems less obtrusive. Where can I get that exact mount?

Thanks.
    Not sure actually. I just happened upon this one at my local gun shop in a box-o-parts when it caught my eye. $10 well spent.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Not sure actually. I just happened upon this one at my local gun shop in a box-o-parts when it caught my eye. $10 well spent.
    Thanks Ram Rod. I may still give it a try. Definitely is a low cost option. My other option that I can use with my Glock also is this with a small rail on my handguard:
    Streamlight Flashlight TLR-2 Flashlights Rail Mounted Tactical Light Laser Sight SALE 69120

I don't want to go all tacticool with my Saiga but a light would be a great addition and I'm sure very useful.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    Thanks Ram Rod. I may still give it a try. Definitely is a low cost option. My other option that I can use with my Glock also is this with a small rail on my handguard:
    Streamlight Flashlight TLR-2 Flashlights Rail Mounted Tactical Light Laser Sight SALE 69120

I don't want to go all tacticool with my Saiga but a light would be a great addition and I'm sure very useful.

Thanks again.
    When I first tried to figure out where I wanted my light mount, I tried it on the barrel. I was unable to see the bottom 2/3 of the front bead - it was a no-go.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by bal_g23 View Post
    How can I get a good light on
    This is what I have on my Mossberg

Mossberg 500/590 Handguards with RailsPrice:$64.50
    so I can mount this

Foregrip with 1" Flashlight adapter and On/Off Trigger Price:$88.65

This unique tactical grip allows the operator to use his 1" Flashlight.
    . The most ergonomically designed vertical foregrip.
    . Has storage compartment for batteries, cleaning kit...
    . A 1" flashlight mount is incorporated along with an On/Off Trigger located on the grip itself.
    (No need for bulky and pricy pressure switches.
    . Fits any weapon with a weaver or picatinny rail.
    . Mounted using a quick release locking system with an additional locking screw as backup.
    . No gunsmithing required.
    . Molded from reinforced polymer composite.
    . Super lightweight.

I use a Novatac™ EDC 120E $139 Because I liked the multi function plus strobe options, that is easy to operate with the T-Grip trigger, but any 1 inch flashlight will do.
    Last edited by LongRider; March 4th, 2009 at 04:51 PM. Reason: add links & prices
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I cut strips from a bicycle inner tube and used them like a rubber band to attach an led flashlight to my Mossberg.

It holds up well with the recoil and set me back about $15 for the light and inner tube.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    This is what I have on my Mossberg

Mossberg 500/590 Handguards with RailsPrice:$64.50
    so I can mount this

Foregrip with 1" Flashlight adapter and On/Off Trigger Price:$88.65

I use a Novatac™ EDC 120E $139 Because I liked the multi function plus strobe options, that is easy to operate with the T-Grip trigger, but any 1 inch flashlight will do.
    How's the quality of the Mako fore end? Looks like the best solution to mounting a TLR-2 to my Mossy.
    HK45c V1

Quote Originally Posted by bal_g23 View Post
    solved all these issues by buying an 870 today

will post pictures soon
    Soo.... where's the pics
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    How's the quality of the Mako fore end? Looks like the best solution to mounting a TLR-2 to my Mossy.
    It is excellent. Good solid construction. Has a solid grip on the rail, switches are simple failure proof. One side switch to prevent inadvertent activation of the light. The light switch is a trigger easy intuitive to operate. The side rail is perfect for a laser. Holds a couple of spare batteries and tools. One caveat do not over tighten the clamp on the flashlight clamp. Anytime you are using metal screws on plastic not matter how strong you can drill through the plastic if you over torque the screw I added a little washer to help reduce the chance of that happening.
    I added one to my Ruger 10/22 with the Tapco stock we just got. One will be going onto the AR, both AR's if I win that debate. I think we need a .223 and a 308 the wife is unconvinced. Anyway back on topic. By far the best way to add a flashlight to any long gun there is IMO. For the shotgun I like the added benefit of pistol fore grip it give my a better hold to reduce muzzle rise and to run the pump.

An aside I would not just screw a rail into a stock for the reasons I stated above plus the risk on interfering with that pumps function. Especially not for something like the Mako T-grip. I can see you ripping the rail right off of the pump. Just buy the fore grip with the built in rail saving $65 is not worth risking your life

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    Soo.... where's the pics
    You may have seen this one before of my set up, but thought I'd post a pic for you anyway.

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I am surprised no one suggested a side saddle and then get the adapter to add a light. It should work on pretty much anything. Of course one needs to feel comfortable with a side saddle.
    “We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm” - George Orwell

Lights on home defence Shotguns

Personally I can't see having a light on a shot gun to me it just means shoot here. I don't mean not having one but if someone coming into my house with a light on it just means shoot here. I'd rather have a light that I can hold off to one side. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by flor1 View Post
    Personally I can't see having a light on a shot gun to me it just means shoot here. I don't mean not having one but if someone coming into my house with a light on it just means shoot here. I'd rather have a light that I can hold off to one side. Just my opinion.
    You may try to shoot at the light, but try to aim while looking into 100 lumen light at night. Not to mention, if you see my light, I'm going through the decision process that decides how you leave. Bringing a weapon up toward me would make it easier for me to make that decision!! My Benelli can dump 7 rounds in under 4 sec
    I will take my chances behind my light!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

If you haven't taken a low-light class, you might want to and then form an educated opinion.

Just because the light's there, doesn't mean you have to use it. You strobe and move, you don't leave the light on. In my house there's plenty of ambient light to navigate and discern a target, the light is to verify if it's a threat or not.

I guess it comes down to what's the greatest risk:

a. Misidentifying a perceived threat.
    b. Running into an armed intruder that can manage to shoot at a 100+ lumen light and hit what he's aiming at.

Also, care to tell us how you manage a long gun with a handheld light that you hold off to one side?

The method I learned to fire a long-gun with a handheld light involved holding the light parallel to the weapon as if it was mounted.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Heres what I eventually ended up doing.

GUN CONTROL IS USING BOTH HANDS

I believe its a shoulder thing that goes up - Carolyn McCarthy (D)

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says go away in every language.
    -Clint Smith

What cdwolf said. Plus there are far too many stories of a loved one being shot because the shooter did not have a light. Your concerns are why I like the T-grip and NovaTac flashlight combination. The T-grip allows me to flash the light on and off quickly simply and easily while maintaining a solid firing grip as well as switch to between the NovaTacs 10 lumens, 40 lumens, 125 lumens or strobe functions. The 10 lumens provides enough light for me to see that I can flash on & off at will. The 125 lumens is blinding and the strobe function allows me to search without losing my night vision. Studies have shown that strobe is disorienting to the assailant and it is amazing how far you move between strobes. So the assailant is free to shoot at he light I won't be there. When I locate the target and hit the 125 lumen function it is game over. For an assailant I have identified, not a family member or friend I'll make my shot with a good solid firing grip on my weapon not fumbling with an off hand flash light.

I'm planning to go with a top mount receiver mounted rail system on a 590A1...

M590 SAFETY RAIL - MPSR1104

For the Mossberg M590 pump shotgun. Extended Picatinny rail bolts on over receiver area and integrates with an oversized safety. Designed to readily be activated during times of stress from the top and sides. Picatinny rail extends over barrel to allow for mounting of reflex optics. Channel through the center allows use of rifle front sight. Extremely durable and smooth because of its integration with the supporting end of rail.

Source - Hahn Precision > M590 Safety Rail
    ...And add to that a top mounted weapon light with mount along the lines of a Black Bear.
    As this gun will be a dedicated home defense tool I have no need for the OEM ghost ring slug sight nor to be able to see down the sight channel to the front sight as I will not be running slugs, and using the shotgun as a make shift pseudo rifle.
    The light to be mounted akin to a rifle scope at a position forward as in a 'scout' position.

With weight being balanced to the rear rather than front the hold will feel more natural and be less unwieldy.
    Additionally a light remote switch installed will allow the operator to toggle the light on/off at will so as to scan an area and confirm targets...or to leave the light active on during an Alamo type dug in stand whilst awaiting 911 response.

Basically activate the light, point the light at Deebo, click...repeat.
    For those with a Remington or some other shotgun be it OEM drilled & tapped or not Hahn makes a generic top rail that can easily be adapted to same; http://www.hahn-precision.com/armory.../m590_rail.htm.

- Janq
    Last edited by Janq; June 21st, 2009 at 02:48 AM.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links