Defensive Carry banner

Shotgun weapon light

13K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  varob 
#1 ·
How can I get a good light on this, without having to buy this

#3 ·

#4 ·
I use a similar system to Ram Rods on my Benelli, and I prefer it to a dedicated forearm.
I own:
SureFire X300, X200B
Insight M3X, M3.

I like these types of lights due to the lightweight, and ability to move from platform to platform if you need to. I can swap mine between my nightstand pistol, Benelli or my AR as needed, or remove quickly if I want to practice.

If you do decide to mount a light, don't try to go too cheap. The 12 GA recoil is a killer.

Chuck

#5 ·
the problem Im seeing (maybe Im wrong) is that on alot of the magazine tube mounted lights, the shotguns (such as Ramrod's) have plenty empty space on the magazine tube. On the mossberg tactical cruiser and other 18.5in barrel mossbergs, it seems like there is very little room for mounting much of anything

see what I mean?

#8 ·
I prefer the picatinny rail type forearm mount myself instead of the coiled cord pressure switch or the tube mount thumb activated light. That being said I am still using the tube mount light while looking at various picatinny rail forends. As far as I can see I would only be mounting a white light on my SG so there is a lot of wasted rail on the forearms that I have looked at. I am looking at just attaching a short piece of rail to my existing plastic forearm, but it is down the list on my priorities right now.

#10 ·
I am looking at just attaching a short piece of rail to my existing plastic forearm, but it is down the list on my priorities right now.
That sounds ideal because I really like the factory mossberg forearm with the strap on it. Would it be possible to just buy a piece of picatinny rail, attach it to the forearm with a couple screws, put a light mount on it, and call it done? Would that stand up to 12 Guage recoil?

#15 ·
solved all these issues by buying an 870 today :wink:

will post pictures soon

#19 · (Edited)
How can I get a good light on
This is what I have on my Mossberg

Mossberg 500/590 Handguards with RailsPrice:$64.50
so I can mount this

Foregrip with 1" Flashlight adapter and On/Off Trigger Price:$88.65

This unique tactical grip allows the operator to use his 1" Flashlight.
. The most ergonomically designed vertical foregrip.
. Has storage compartment for batteries, cleaning kit...
. A 1" flashlight mount is incorporated along with an On/Off Trigger located on the grip itself.
(No need for bulky and pricy pressure switches.
. Fits any weapon with a weaver or picatinny rail.
. Mounted using a quick release locking system with an additional locking screw as backup.
. No gunsmithing required.
. Molded from reinforced polymer composite.
. Super lightweight.

I use a Novatac™ EDC 120E $139 Because I liked the multi function plus strobe options, that is easy to operate with the T-Grip trigger, but any 1 inch flashlight will do.

#21 ·
#24 ·
I am surprised no one suggested a side saddle and then get the adapter to add a light. It should work on pretty much anything. Of course one needs to feel comfortable with a side saddle.

#25 ·
Lights on home defence Shotguns

Personally I can't see having a light on a shot gun to me it just means shoot here. I don't mean not having one but if someone coming into my house with a light on it just means shoot here. I'd rather have a light that I can hold off to one side. Just my opinion.

#26 ·
Personally I can't see having a light on a shot gun to me it just means shoot here. I don't mean not having one but if someone coming into my house with a light on it just means shoot here. I'd rather have a light that I can hold off to one side. Just my opinion.
You may try to shoot at the light, but try to aim while looking into 100 lumen light at night. Not to mention, if you see my light, I'm going through the decision process that decides how you leave. Bringing a weapon up toward me would make it easier for me to make that decision!! My Benelli can dump 7 rounds in under 4 sec:comeandgetsome:
I will take my chances behind my light!!

#30 · (Edited)
I'm planning to go with a top mount receiver mounted rail system on a 590A1...

M590 SAFETY RAIL - MPSR1104

For the Mossberg M590 pump shotgun. Extended Picatinny rail bolts on over receiver area and integrates with an oversized safety. Designed to readily be activated during times of stress from the top and sides. Picatinny rail extends over barrel to allow for mounting of reflex optics. Channel through the center allows use of rifle front sight. Extremely durable and smooth because of its integration with the supporting end of rail.

Source - Hahn Precision > M590 Safety Rail
...And add to that a top mounted weapon light with mount along the lines of a Black Bear.
As this gun will be a dedicated home defense tool I have no need for the OEM ghost ring slug sight nor to be able to see down the sight channel to the front sight as I will not be running slugs, and using the shotgun as a make shift pseudo rifle.
The light to be mounted akin to a rifle scope at a position forward as in a 'scout' position.

With weight being balanced to the rear rather than front the hold will feel more natural and be less unwieldy.
Additionally a light remote switch installed will allow the operator to toggle the light on/off at will so as to scan an area and confirm targets...or to leave the light active on during an Alamo type dug in stand whilst awaiting 911 response.

Basically activate the light, point the light at Deebo, click...repeat.
For those with a Remington or some other shotgun be it OEM drilled & tapped or not Hahn makes a generic top rail that can easily be adapted to same; http://www.hahn-precision.com/armory/products/m590_rail.htm.

- Janq

#34 ·
I'm planning to go with a top mount receiver mounted rail system on a 590A1...
That is a nice rail I really like the over sized safety. I'd still keep the light in the Mako T-Grip and just replace the rail I have for my Red Dot sight with the added benefit of the over sized safety

Solve all your attachment concerns and hand carry this...:yup:
L4 LumaMax® from SureFire - 100 Lumen LED Flashlights
The LumaMax is twice the size of a NovTac, less functions lower lumen 100 lumen vs 120 lumen and more expensive. I replacing all my lights with NovTacs. IMO Surefire has gotten over rated and over priced

#36 ·
Your right about Surefire for end lights being over priced, but I'm not sure about over rated.

As previous post have said. Don't go too cheap, you don't want parts flying of your gun when you need them the most.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.