Sighting issue after adding Knoxx SpecOps

This is a discussion on Sighting issue after adding Knoxx SpecOps within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I added a Knoxx SpecOps to my Mossberg 500 Persuader - will be going to the range in about 2 weeks to try it. I ...

Thread: Sighting issue after adding Knoxx SpecOps

I added a Knoxx SpecOps to my Mossberg 500 Persuader - will be going to the range in about 2 weeks to try it.

I did notice that prior to the new stock, when I mounted the gun to my shoulder that I had a straight sight picture along the top of the barrel to the post at the end of the barrel. With the new stock my cheek seems to be higher (?), or what ever, and I no longer sight along the top of the barrel but look higher above the barrel down toward the end post sight.

I will be testing with a target to see how this affects my point of aim next time at the range. This might not be an issue at close range in a HD situation - still, is there a fix?

Thanks
    Robert

Ghost ring sights. Otherwise, you'll have to find a stock-cant (tilting the stock in or out from your shoulder, in the pocket) that allows you to get back in line.

I will be testing with a target to see how this affects my point of aim next time at the range. This might not be an issue at close range in a HD situation - still, is there a fix?
    The Knoxx stock is at a different angle/elevation than your previous stock and as a result, you are going to have to get used to positioning your head differently or mounting the stock to your shoulder differently.

Your point of aim should not change at all so long as you sight correctly.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Ghost ring sights are one option but not easy to find for the 500. Too bad it's not a 870 or even a 590, then it'd be easier. Another inexpesive option that will give you a nice big sight is an XS big dot. It epoxies over the factory bead and is a nice big night sight. It's size and added hieght will offset the newfound lack of drop in your stock. Another ( and likely better option ) would be an electronic sight such as an EOTech. The sight plane on that would be at least an inch above the receiver so it should be in a pretty good spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtpile View Post
    Ghost ring sights are one option but not easy to find for the 500.
    ??GRs for the 590 mil-spec can be retrofitted; any of the medium contour GRs will work as well (MMC, LPA, etc..).

Could I buy a rubber or foam cuff to add to the SpecOps stock to aid in the position the SpecOps to my cheek - and thus improve my sight picture?

Example:
    http://www.blackpowderbags.com/cgi-b...egory_Code=ACP
    Last edited by boaterbob; March 2nd, 2009 at 01:52 PM.

check to see if the Knoxx powerpack would fit your bill.

Thanks - I did just now check on the PowerPak as suggested - here is an interesting (and informative) posting on the item:

My opinion of the Knoxx PowerPak - Glock Talk

Have you considered a Red Dot sight
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Yes, I have 'considered' a red-dot scope - also a ghost ring, etc, etc.

As this gun will be used primarily as a HD gun and not used too often - just for practice - I had hoped to keep any additions/mods on the inexpensive side. From the posts and further research, it seems the SpecOps stock is the culprit and there is no easy fix, except to go to a higher sight. So, it will be off to the range to see what my shot pattern really is at HD distances. I suspect that at HD distances, using 00 buckshot, that the sighting issue will not be too critical in hitting the BG (I don't want too many pellets going in unplanned places).

Thanks for all the ideas & comments.

Back from the range - foggy and cool - I was the only person there. Set up a 4'x4' pc of sheet rock and taped a BG target up.

I wanted to try sighting with the new Knoxx SpecOps stock. Keep in mind the limitations mentioned when using this stock on a Mossberg 500. Indeed reaching the slide release and the safety are now 2-handed efforts.

Never the less, I was pleased that I shot pretty good at 30' - could not actually use the bead front sight but I could still sight along the top of the barrel sufficiently well enough to hit the targets in the COM or the head using point-shooting. Looking along the top of the barrel at least allowed right to left aiming.

The SpecOps stock did reduce felt recoil using 00 buckshot, but not by the 70 to 80% advertised - still, it was more pleasant shooting than earlier with the original Mossberg stock. Shooting from the hip was also easy with the new stock - and my accuracy was damn good!

So, in the interest of economy, I'll forgo the GR and Red Dot as I am happy with the way I shot today - good enough should I ever need to use the gun on a BG.

I keep the gun with 7 in the magazine (chamber empty), and the trigger pulled so I don't need to fiddle with the slide release when I rack the first round. In emergency all that I need to remember is to pump in a round and pull the trigger.

Thanks for all the postings.

R

Quote Originally Posted by boaterbob View Post
    So, in the interest of economy, I'll forgo the GR and Red Dot as I am happy with the way I shot today - good enough should I ever need to use the gun on a BG.
    Are you keeping the Knoxx stock mounted snug against your shoulder? That will reduce perceived recoil. You can pick up an acceptable Red Dot at Cabelas for $100 or less. Once you see how quick & accurate you can be to 25 yards and beyond my bet is you will agree it is well worth the minor expense
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Check the pictures included near the end of this posting - for one type fix for those using the Knoxx SpecOps stock:

View topic - Sighting issue after adding Knoxx SpecOps

Links