New Shotgun

This is a discussion on New Shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been pondering the sight question for a while now. There are some fiber optic front sights available that replace the front bead. The back ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Shotgun

I've been pondering the sight question for a while now. There are some fiber optic front sights available that replace the front bead. The back sight one might have to make an adapter plate that mounts to the scope mounting points but that would probably be too high for a drop in front sight so you would have to put a spacer on the front sight to raise it up to match.

I think Optics Planet has a picanty rail that mounts to the scope mounts which might be a starting point.

My other thought for the front sight is to get a figure 8 shape piece machined to go around the barrel and hold a light underneath. The part that goes around the top of the barrel would have a mount for a sight.

Or just cough up the money and put a holographic or red dot on top and call it good.
    We the willing, being guided by the unknowing, Doing impossible feats, for the ungrateful, Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
    We now feel qualified to do, absolutely anything, with literally nothing

2. Remove Ads

I bought my wife a shotgun and a beagle many years ago...she didn't buy any of it...

If your wife believes that...then you should start getting her a 'collection'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by jamierah View Post
    I've been pondering the sight question for a while now. There are some fiber optic front sights available that replace the front bead. The back sight one might have to make an adapter plate that mounts to the scope mounting points but that would probably be too high for a drop in front sight so you would have to put a spacer on the front sight to raise it up to match.

I think Optics Planet has a picanty rail that mounts to the scope mounts which might be a starting point.

My other thought for the front sight is to get a figure 8 shape piece machined to go around the barrel and hold a light underneath. The part that goes around the top of the barrel would have a mount for a sight.

Or just cough up the money and put a holographic or red dot on top and call it good.
    I just ordered Mossberg Ghost Ring Sights for fast target acquisition... after all, it is a shotgun. Spendy... $90 including Tax & Shipping. Research says they need to be silver soldered. Anybody else have suggestions other that J-Weld?

[QUOTE=jamierah;1064079]I've been pondering the sight question for a while now.

QUOTE]

Did you see the TOPIC: "Cheap Maglite mount for Mossberg 500" by 98LSWON dated Feb 18, 2009?

Did you see the TOPIC: "Cheap Maglite mount for Mossberg 500" by 98LSWON dated Feb 18, 2009?
    I just read that thread all the way through and the picanty mount would work great. A guy could drill and tap a hole on the top to mount a fiber optic or tritium sight.

The Mossberg ghost ring looks nice but it doesn't look like it would work in low light.
    We the willing, being guided by the unknowing, Doing impossible feats, for the ungrateful, Have been doing so much with so little for so long,

I referenced the wrong thread I saw the picanty mount in Putting an AR style forward grip on a shotgun? that looks like it would work if it was mounted to the barrel.

SHT-071.jpg

nice shotgun, enjoy
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

Nice. I love my Mossberg 500. Great gun for the house IMO. :)
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Good Choice!

Had my 500A for a year now and couldnt be happier.
    "Life is like a box of chocolate... You never know who you are going to shoot."

my flickr photo page

Quote Originally Posted by jamierah View Post
    Unfortunately it's not a Knoxx stock it's the ATI that comes from Mossberg. I would like a Knoxx though, after a light and some better sights for it.

The "But Honey it's for you" line worked this time. When the AR lower shows up, then I'll be in trouble. And when the M&P 40 compact that's on layaway shows up I'll be in real trouble.

She says I'm paranoid, I told I'm concerned. When I start digging trenches in the front yard and stringing concertina wire then she can say I'm paranoid.

I invite ANYONE to find a good reason why a shotgun should have the RIDICULOUS 'recoil suppression system' that Knoxx offers. If you have the weapon properly seated, recoil shouldn't be an issue. The stock MOVES while you shoot, equating to a huge increase in the chances of doublestroking the action.

This is the reason Knoxx offers the stock without the recoil suppression system...they needed to find a way to compete with ATI's price point. We made the collapsible shotgun stock right the first time, and I've got top-level instructor's testimonials to prove it.

I laugh at the 'recoil suppression system', which is just two cheap springs in a glass housing. Please.

Your gun looks great as offered from Mossberg (with our stock on it), and there must be SOME reason Mossberg went with it, right?

Look for a collapsible side-folder soon...nobody else is making this for shotguns. We have it out for AK and Mini platforms presently. Also, for SKS, but...that's SKS.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

I recently purchased a Mossberg 500 and went with a Knoxx reduced recoil BreachersGrip. I've never fired one of these before so I don't have a basis for comparing how effective the grip is at reducing recoil.

Having said that someone I know that has fired the weapon with and without the grip says there is a significant difference in the felt recoil with the Knoxx grip. This might be helpful for a smaller person with respect to controlling the firearm when shooting it. Ridiculous?

"The stock MOVES while you shoot..."

Actually I don't believe the stock moves but rather the butt end of the shotgun rides up on a groove in the stock with the spring offering resistance to that movement while dampening the recoil.

I bought the same gun for $240 shipped last summer... thanks Obaama for jacking up firearm prices...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links