SKS Questions..

SKS Questions..

This is a discussion on SKS Questions.. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I could have titled this thread "Help me spend a little dough" Im looking at a few different guns. Im looking in the 300-600 range ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SKS Questions..

SKS Questions..

I could have titled this thread "Help me spend a little dough"

Im looking at a few different guns. Im looking in the 300-600 range for price, maybe a tad more.

Id sure like another Keltec P11. I have found an AK for $550 (600 if I want the extra mags).

I can grab up a Chinese SKS from my friendly local gun shop for an even $250. (can you put larger hi cap magazines on these?)

I wouldnt mind saving a few more bucks for a AR but really thats kinda on the bottom of my list due to the outrageous prices. There is an Armalite in my local shop on consignment for $950.

Maybe there is another item Im overlooking that would be a good SHTF item. Ive got the shotties and a .270, a few 22's and a few hand guns...

I think I need a SHTF mean machine. What do you say?

Looking for some suggestions from the experts here.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Senior Moderator
    If you get an SKS keep it with the 10rd fixed mag and buy lot'd of 5 cent stripper clips. Most of the SKS hi-cap mags are fun at the range but not much use otherwise.

If you practice with the clips you will be suprised at how fast you can reload.

My other suggestion is a combat shotgun or rifle (The SKS is such a rifle)
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    If you get an SKS keep it with the 10rd fixed mag and buy lot'd of 5 cent stripper clips. Most of the SKS hi-cap mags are fun at the range but not much use otherwise.

If you practice with the clips you will be suprised at how fast you can reload.

My other suggestion is a combat shotgun or rifle (The SKS is such a rifle)
    I 100% agree. I have an Ar-15, SKS, Mossberg 590. and a couple of handguns. Practicing loading with the 10round stripper clips is very helpful. From what I have heard modifying the sks to handle the detachable magazines can cause problems with reliability. You'd be better off finding an sks that came setup from the factory for them. Im happy with the capability of the sks with the stripper clips.
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

Having both an SKS and an AK, I can tell you that either will fill the SHTF/TEOTWAWKI situations.

The SKS can be made to take removable magazines, but usually it's not worth it, and ends up driving up the cost. You have to find reliable magazines. People swear by the Tapco 20 round magazines.

To be able to install them correctly and easily, you'll have to modify the bolt with a grinder/dremel.

Many times the wood stock has to be shaved around the magazine well as well, to make everything fit and function reliably.

To stay 922r compliant, and to give it better ergonomics, you can slide the reciver into one of Tapco's compliance kits with collapsible stock and pistol grip.

Basically, buy the rifle that fits your needs without heavy modification. In the long run, AR15 parts and ammo are likely going to be easier to get ahold of.

EDIT: That being said, I would love to get my hands on a SKS-M, which is a factory modified SKS that takes AK47 magazines, and has a 4 inch shorter barrel. Unfortunately, those have basically doubled in price since last year.

Well here is where Im at... I just talked to the wife and she said, "buy the AK but make sure it looks bad assed"

Id really like the AK but was looking at a lower cost SHTF gun...

I just cant justify the AR, only because of the prices. Maybe if were lucky and Pelosi and Reid stop the new AWB prices wil fall. Heck today at the gun shop my guy broke out both guns and ammo for both and we were looking at the ammo. He said ,"which would you rather have in a SHTF situation"?
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

I picked up a Yugo SKS for 319 a while back, and after spending like 3 days getting all the cosmo off it, I am seriously glad I got the thing. Ive since added a Wolff Spring performance pak, and plan on a stock, gas tube, and a few other items. The rifle works great. I have even considered preserving this one as is and buying another to do up as a modern tactical rifle. but the budget master says no, for now. Im a sad panda.

IMHO the SKS is a better rifle then the AK. Yes the AK has the bad boy cachet, but the SKS (esp the European and older Chinese) are better built. Stripper clips are cheap and are as easy as regular mag changes, and are lighter. Both are semis, but the SKS was designed to be a semiauto. Other then needing a longer stock on some of the Chinese guns, they are good shooters and a great battle rifle.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

I just recently picked up a Yugo sks and have really enjoyed shooting it. The thing appears to be built like a rock. You could always pick up an sks and then use all your remaining money to buy ammo. You can never have too much ammo.
    When in doubt empty the magazine.

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy." - George Washington

OK--- I think you guys have talked me into the SKS and for a few reasons.

1) I would have to have the AK shipped to the FFL. Though my FFL wont charge me to do the paperwork ( were pretty tight) I'd still have shipping on top of the AK's price.

2) Indeed I can buy the SKS "AND" one of them fancy Tapco T6 Stock Sets, "AND" 1000 rounds of ammo for the price of AK alone.

3) I can take the SKS home today for $250 out the door, order the ammo and stock set up and have it to me pretty quick (probably by tues-wed of next week)

Everything else I own has been purchased new. The SKS is Chinese made and Im cool with that but there is a bit of rust on the barrel section which is silver.

Whats the best way to clean up the rust and preserve it better?
    New tunes added.

njr
    Reading these posts, I'm glad I got the sks b/c of reliability although the ak does have anti-imperialist sentimental value.

The good thing about the chinese sks is that the chinese kept on producing these, I think for the Korean War and after, and it seems they got good at machining the parts. There was an unscientific test on surplusrifle.com and the chinese sks beat out the russian.

The yugo sks is nice for durability, bayonet and grenade launcher (not sure when you'd use the last item) but the barrels are not chromed as yugo had no chrome deposits and were in dispute with the USSR which had chrome.

So, the barrels on the yugo are harder to clean. I think I remeber also reading, however, that chrome does heat up fast than steel and can marginally affect accuracy after a certain number of shots, although I don't think this has much effect on the sks for combat accuracy.

Finally, I like my chinese sks better than the yugos I've tried 'cos I like a bit of recoil from the lighter gun and the chinese designed a more graceful, ergonomic stock which I find has a better cheek weld/sight picture and gives better ability to lock on target, follow-up, etc.

njr
    Also, my sks came with a chinese ammo belt- the same style that the NLA used in Vietnam. It's very handy for storing stripper clips and oil for cleaning. I haven't used the belt in three years, but if you needed the sks for defensive purposes, you could strap on the belt and have 100 to 200? rounds in clips ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    I could have titled this thread "Help me spend a little dough"

Im looking at a few different guns. Im looking in the 300-600 range for price, maybe a tad more.

Id sure like another Keltec P11. I have found an AK for $550 (600 if I want the extra mags).

I can grab up a Chinese SKS from my friendly local gun shop for an even $250. (can you put larger hi cap magazines on these?)

I wouldnt mind saving a few more bucks for a AR but really thats kinda on the bottom of my list due to the outrageous prices. There is an Armalite in my local shop on consignment for $950.

Maybe there is another item Im overlooking that would be a good SHTF item. Ive got the shotties and a .270, a few 22's and a few hand guns...

I think I need a SHTF mean machine. What do you say?

Looking for some suggestions from the experts here.
    I have not had a problem with mine! Sometimes the 30 rd. mag. gets a little hard to load, but not much. At first I found I had a lot of FTF, but soon realized that if I had a real firm grip on the gun, this went away.
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by carver View Post
    I have not had a problem with mine! Sometimes the 30 rd. mag. gets a little hard to load, but not much. At first I found I had a lot of FTF, but soon realized that if I had a real firm grip on the gun, this went away.
    Are you talking about the larger mag on an SKS?

I just walked into the shop and asked one of the guys which he would buy and he said the AK LOL go figure.

I actually want both but Ive got to be a bit frugal here.

The SKS and 1k rounds would be nice. Id actually like to put some EBR tactical stuff on it too.

So the vote then is for the SKS?
    New tunes added.

Some Wiki info

Tells me that this is a Chinese Type 56 SKS made between 1965 and 1971. It has the spike bayonet.

From the Wiki:
    Chinese Type 56: Numerous minor tweaks, including lack of milling on the bolt carrier, partially or fully stamped (as opposed to milled) receivers, and differing types of thumb rest on the takedown lever. The Chinese continually revised the SKS manufacturing process, so variation can be seen even between two examples from the same factory. All of the Type 56 carbine rifles have been removed from military service, except a few being used for ceremonial purposes. Type 56 carbines with serial numbers below 9,000,000 have the Russian-style blade-type folding bayonet, while those 9,000,000 and higher have a "spike" type folding bayonet. Some early examples are known as "Sino-Soviet", meaning they were produced by China, but with cooperation from Russian "advisers" who helped regulate the factories and provided the design specifications.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

It looks much like the Chinese Norinco that is pictured on the Wiki page but has the bayonet.
    New tunes added.

So about the little bit of rust on the receiver... what should I use to remove it and clean the thing up?
    New tunes added.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links