Keeping HD shotgun at the ready? - Page 2

Keeping HD shotgun at the ready?

This is a discussion on Keeping HD shotgun at the ready? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by 2edgesword I learned about firearms security as an eight year old in a neighbors apartment in NYC back in the late 1950's. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keeping HD shotgun at the ready?

Quote Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
    I learned about firearms security as an eight year old in a neighbors apartment in NYC back in the late 1950's.

The father left a loaded shotgun in full view behind a television set AND on top of the television set was a fruit bowl filled with shotgun shells. Well I helped myself to a couple of shells (devil made me do it) and while my friend was in the bathroom I did an inspection of the shotgun. "Doesn't look loaded to me".

Well I stood there with the shotgun down at my hip pointed towards the bathroom waiting for my friend to exit. When he did I pulled the trigger....

HOLY #*%@%$#

I can't describe the shock, fear and disbelief that hit me in that moment...

Fortunately (thank you Lord) I missed my friend completely from maybe 15 feet away. I don't remember anything much that happened in the next few moments other then dropping the shotgun and running. I don't know where I was running to but at the time it seemed like the only thing to do.

When the police arrived the officer asked "What happened?" and the knuckhead that I was I said "I thought it was an air rifle." That was it and I don't know what if anything happened to my friends father.

I'm sure that experience is one of the reasons I'm pretty anal when it comes to firearms security. I cannot imagine the horror a parent would endure for being careless and have it cost the life of a child.

Sorry for the rant. It seems to happen more the older I get :).
    I'm pretty sure you were running cause your buddy was gonna beat your ... when he caught you
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2edgesword,

Your story is also why the Brady Center and it's aligned persons are also so anal about firearms laws and responsibility by way of restrictions.

If only more of us, gun owners, had in the past and would now take this subject much more seriously and not do stupid and unwise stuff like what your friends _parents both_ (!) allowed to occur to both you and their son. We wouldn't be dogged so much as we have been and will be into the future. Further the antis then would very much not have a leg to stand on as a result.

Storys like yours and real world situations of exact same including that boy in PA who shot in the head his sleeping dads pregnant GF with a 'youth' shotgun he was allowed to keep as in possess within their home (with ammo too!) do nothing at all but add fuel and oxygen to the anti-gun platform fire.
    We as in us as as firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen, hunters, and firearm instructors too must all preach and practice safety and sensibleness be we at home, on the streets, or as here posting on the internets too.

I am completely sick and tired of reading _weekly_ about husbands shooting wives, fathers shooting their children, and children shooting themselves and other children to be deemed in the media as an 'Accidental Discharge'.
    Baloney. Oscar Mayer!

- Janq too is anal
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

With kids I would do as I was raised, which is to teach the kids gunsafety as I was taught. I grew up on a farm surrounded by guns.

I keep my 870 in the corner next to my bed fully loaded with the slide jacked back an inch with the safety on. This way if something happens I only have to jack to slide into battery and take the safety off. I see it is loaded everytime I walk by it.

I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

i don't know what your requirements are as far as being locked or not. but how about getting some C-hooks or something similar and mounting it above your bedroom door? i don't have kids so i really couldn't tell you if its safe around them. according to my dad he taught me not to touch the guns by taking me out to the field behind our place one day and fire off the .357 magnum and apprently it scared the crap outta me and i never touched the guns lol. but above the door is out of prying hands but i don't know how easy it would be to get a chair or something and stand on that to get it down. easily reachable by yourself even someone short like me (5'6") can reach above the door

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I'm glad you want to secure it. Even if we train our children (I have 6) I believe it's criminal to have a loaded gun laying around. No children and no children ever in the house, then no problem. I consider it loaded even if it only has'em in the mag but not with a round chambered....imagine how it would be like living if one of our kid's did what we trained them not to

That case is a good option. I might look into that one myself...
    Of course you dont want kids to get em. I did say lock the bedroom door. He'll be in the bedroom with the SG making sure no one handles it.

Yes, for small children that should be a given to lock em up.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

I played with all the guns my dad had "hidden".
    We did so many stupid things that it makes my head spin to just start remembering them all.

If the gun is not on my hip or sleeping next to me while I sleep, it is locked up in a safe and possibly a cable lock on it too.

Hmmmmm.... i just remembered the vision of me and my friends crawling along my roof top at night with loaded rifles in the middle of suburbia.

I just found the following video using StumbleUpon. I was just stumbling and thought I'd search the forum here to see if anyone had posted about it. This seems like an okay place to put it, though. I think they call it the "Backup."

YouTube - The New BackUp Commercial

It's [supposedly] a patented device that cradles a shotgun just below the level of your matress (the thing goes between mattress and boxspring and sticks out to hold the shotgun).

...Watch the video for a better explanation. Every time I watch it I just laugh.

My kids are 15 and 17 and both know how, and when to grab the 870 and rack one in. They also know about muzzle control and the "Bugger Hook OFF The Bang Switch" credo. For younger ones I would keep guns locked away until I was there...
    Actually that bedside gun rack is pretty cool, for night time acessibility its perfect.
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

VIP Member
    I keep my Mossy 500 7-shot inside and above the master bedroom closet door. Its on two bicycle storage hooks (rubber coated, cast screw into wall studs). I have them turned on their side with the shotty sitting on top of them. Its easy to reach in the clost and grab, out of sight, and son doesn't have access to it. Closet locks.

I got mine at Lowes:
    Real Organized at Lowe's: Bike Hanger

here's a pic, have to get in closet and look up to know its there
    Attached Images
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Kids and locks...

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    Closet locks.
    If your kid's older than 5, beware. I was pretty good with popping locks when I was young.

VIP Member
    good advice for everyone, but no, my sons not up to that yet
    the neat thing is I can mount a lock device up on that wall in the same place when I need to
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Zebra, Thats pretty good, I might steal that idea... Thanks
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

I also have a V-Line shotgun lockbox. While it is not a vault, it is just right for keeping curious hands out of contact with the gun.

It will hold two shotguns and pistols.

It also satisfies most legal requirements for locking guns.

Capt. Art

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links