Keeping HD shotgun at the ready?

This is a discussion on Keeping HD shotgun at the ready? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking for ideas for keeping a HD shotgun at the ready, probably in the master bedroom. I have 5 & 7 year old kids ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping HD shotgun at the ready?

Keeping HD shotgun at the ready?

I'm looking for ideas for keeping a HD shotgun at the ready, probably in the master bedroom. I have 5 & 7 year old kids that have been trained on how to handle and respect firearms, but I just can't come to grips leaving a loaded shotgun accessible. My handguns are already in the bedroom in a quick access finger-combo safe mounted in the nightstand. I just don't know what to do with that shotgun...

2. Remove Ads

You could look at this.

Life Jacket Gun Locks (LifeJacket)

I've never used one but it looks like you could keep the magazine loaded.
    We the willing, being guided by the unknowing, Doing impossible feats, for the ungrateful, Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
    We now feel qualified to do, absolutely anything, with literally nothing

Well, you're a smart Dad. Maybe do what I do and not keep one in the pipe? Just load the mag and keep the safety on. Then buy one of those Backups (one of our sponsors) and keep the covers over it. Close your bedroom door and lock it when you're not in there...?
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

VIP Member
    I like to keep mine velcroed to the under side of the bed. Velcro holds it fine, it's out of sight and yet easily accesible.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

V-Line Long Gun Vault under my bed. Has room for spare ammo and a handgun. Simplex 5 push button lock has over 2000 possible combinations, and is very quick. I have mine set the same as my nightstand case and my closet case.

It's around $265 but peace of mind is priceless.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

ChuckR- Thank you! That's exactly what I need. I think maybe I'll put it in the master closet as that would be my last retreat area, and with the handguns at the bed, I would have them first.

Quote Originally Posted by bfr57 View Post
    ChuckR- Thank you! That's exactly what I need. I think maybe I'll put it in the master closet as that would be my last retreat area, and with the handguns at the bed, I would have them first.
    It mounts to walls or floor. They also make another model that's larger and fits between wall studs and will hold a couple long-guns.

I've got 3 of the V-Line cases and I'm very satisfied with them.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Mossberg also makes something called the Loc-Box - it's a nice solution but seems a bit hard to find. It'll work more than a few of the Mossberg 500/590 type models, including the Rem 870 I believe. Anyway, just throwing another option out there, although these other options seem easier to find. That Life Jacket option seems very similar to the Loc-Box and much more available.

Quote Originally Posted by bfr57 View Post
    I'm looking for ideas for keeping a HD shotgun at the ready, probably in the master bedroom. I have 5 & 7 year old kids that have been trained on how to handle and respect firearms, but I just can't come to grips leaving a loaded shotgun accessible. My handguns are already in the bedroom in a quick access finger-combo safe mounted in the nightstand. I just don't know what to do with that shotgun...
    Thanks for starting this thread. I'm in the market for a long gun case and the V-Line looks like it will fit the bill.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I'm glad you want to secure it. Even if we train our children (I have 6) I believe it's criminal to have a loaded gun laying around. No children and no children ever in the house, then no problem. I consider it loaded even if it only has'em in the mag but not with a round chambered....imagine how it would be like living if one of our kid's did what we trained them not to

That case is a good option. I might look into that one myself...

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    Mossberg also makes something called the Loc-Box - it's a nice solution but seems a bit hard to find. It'll work more than a few of the Mossberg 500/590 type models, including the Rem 870 I believe. Anyway, just throwing another option out there, although these other options seem easier to find. That Life Jacket option seems very similar to the Loc-Box and much more available.
    I have the Loc-Box and it works pretty well. It's a little tricky to maintain "cruiser-ready" as it needs the bolt to be back. You can carefully move the pump back enough to open the bolt, but not enough to pop a shell onto the carrier.
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

I keep my pistol grip shottie with a stocked tube and none in the chamber, when the time comes I will take it out and rack the pump and go hot.
    One more step and it's on!

I share your feelings. No matter how well we teach children, it is very difficult for me to leave a firearm around them that is not locked up. Thanks for the post.

VIP Member
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I learned about firearms security as an eight year old in a neighbors apartment in NYC back in the late 1950's.

The father left a loaded shotgun in full view behind a television set AND on top of the television set was a fruit bowl filled with shotgun shells. Well I helped myself to a couple of shells (devil made me do it) and while my friend was in the bathroom I did an inspection of the shotgun. "Doesn't look loaded to me".

Well I stood there with the shotgun down at my hip pointed towards the bathroom waiting for my friend to exit. When he did I pulled the trigger....

HOLY #*%@%$#

I can't describe the shock, fear and disbelief that hit me in that moment...

Fortunately (thank you Lord) I missed my friend completely from maybe 15 feet away. I don't remember anything much that happened in the next few moments other then dropping the shotgun and running. I don't know where I was running to but at the time it seemed like the only thing to do.

When the police arrived the officer asked "What happened?" and the knuckhead that I was I said "I thought it was an air rifle." That was it and I don't know what if anything happened to my friends father.

I'm sure that experience is one of the reasons I'm pretty anal when it comes to firearms security. I cannot imagine the horror a parent would endure for being careless and have it cost the life of a child.

Sorry for the rant. It seems to happen more the older I get :).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links