My Local Gun Dealer Has Sold Too Many Guns

This is a discussion on My Local Gun Dealer Has Sold Too Many Guns within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi everyone....busting my proverbial forum cherry with this post. So I decide to head down to a gun dealer right down the street from my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Local Gun Dealer Has Sold Too Many Guns

Hi everyone....busting my proverbial forum cherry with this post.

So I decide to head down to a gun dealer right down the street from my house. He has only been open a short time and I had yet to wander in there and check out his inventory. Plus I remembered I needed some 9mm ammo for my Baretta.

I go in and the place is packed,10-15 people looking and buying (mostly ammo). I check out his rifles and find exactly what I am looking for. AR put together by local company that had exactly what I was looking for, plus it was only $950. So I decide to go home and debate the $2000 purchase (come on I gotta have 5 extra mags, a red dot, at least 1000 rounds of ammo,etc). At home I decide I should pull the trigger and look up his number on my phone and call the shop to get a rough total on what I want so I know how much cash to bring.

Phone conversation goes like this:

"thanks for calling _ _ guns"

"Hi I was just in there and saw an AR i liked and wanted to make sure I had the prices right. The one I was looking at was on the left end of the cabinet and I think it was priced $950"

"Yeah I got a few AR's ranging from $900-$1200"

"Ok well I was wanting to know for sure because I was about to pop back over there and buy it"

"Yeah well I am closing for the day in a minute (it was 1pm then), I am packing up for a show(that is 40 miles away) on Saturday. I will have the gun with me there, you can just come buy it there"

"So let me get this straight.....you want me to not bring you $2000 cash today, but wait until tomorrow, drive 80 miles round trip, park in a fairground, walk a mile to the gunshow, pay $8 to get in, find you table, and buy the gun?.....No thanks, you have sold too many guns"

Wow....I own 3 businesses....(2 large sports bars and an equipment leasing company)....and I wish I had enough business to just turn money down.....ha ha

Wow.... dunno what to think.

Where's the gun show this weekend at?
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Yeah, he must be rolling in it. I own an AC company and do a decent amount of business but Im not turning down $2k in sales.... I'll stay open till you get here would be my response.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Not only did the gun shop owner turn down a nice sale, he left you with a bad impression. As a local guy you will now share your experience with others in the community similar to what's posted. What comes around goes around, there are local businesses I wont solicit due to attitudes and practices of the owners. If he went the extra mile forum members would be PMing you for the location of the shop. A time will come when even gun shops will be feeling the pinch.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Wow.... dunno what to think.

Where's the gun show this weekend at?
    Down in Perry at the Ga. National Fairgrounds.

It's an Eastman Gun Show. The ones in Macon are packed and have plenty of vendors with nice weapons....and I don't mind paying $8 to look at a bunch of stuff (especially "Not for Sale"..."Display") that I would normally not get a chance to look at, touch, poke, rub, dry hump, etc. in person........but the last one I went to in Perry had only about 5 or 6 tables with people selling guns.

Yeah that left me with a bad taste......I did find a great gun shop here in town, but he just has not had what I have been looking for (although he does have an MP5 clone chambered in .357 that I have wanted)......maybe this was Karma's way of telling me to hold on and wait, do business with the other shop.....

Business Sense

Having owned a retail store many years,I have often wondered why gun store owners sometimes seem to be stupid businessmen.
    Are they in it because they are gun "nuts" and not really for the money?
    My first rule when I was in business;
    Make it EASY for customers to give you money.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

I have seen this attitude at several local gun shops. I happilyleave those shops and take my money to someone who wants it and has time for my stupid questions.

I run 10 departments in 5 different cities and if anyone of my employees got the report you just gave, They would work at "Down The Road Motorsports, Inc."

Give your money to someone who will appreciate it.

But to be fair since there is always 2 sides to every story:

I did say when I was in there an hour earlier he had 10-15 customers in there shopping (place is tiny).

Noone can give you cash over the phone like they can inside the store (i.e. the customers inside the store).

And maybe he had a hot date later that afternoon

So in fairness, he was busy and had a store full of people.....and when that is the case I always try to handle the people in person first. Still that is no excuse, but it is his business and he can run it like he wants. I would slap his ball sack if he came into my business and told me how to run mine.

It's pouring rain here...nothing to do....Jesus Christ I am gonna end up driving to the gunshow and buying something! I have been looking for a Para Warthog .45. So maybe today is the day.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivalrys View Post
    Wow....I own 3 businesses....(2 large sports bars and an equipment leasing company)....and I wish I had enough business to just turn money down.....ha ha
    You need to get out more.

The Gun business is ObamaBooming.

He will sell every semiauto rifle and pistol he takes to that show -
    AND all his ammo.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Once the bubble bursts he'll be one of the first ones out of business...no customer service.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    i hate when i run into stores like that...not even just gun stores, but stores in general. i wouldn't buy anything from him, personally. he clearly doesn't actually care about your business.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    Once the bubble bursts he'll be one of the first ones out of business...no customer service.
    Yep just like all the real estate companies that went out of business.

So I went to the gunshow yesterday in a monsoon (seriously we had tornado warnings from 8am-2pm)....it was packed....selection was 10 times better than usual.....find an AR15 that had the set up I was looking for....and the same dealer just happened to have a .45 Para Warthawg that I have been wanting.

So I end up blowing $2k on 2 new guns, red dot site, ammo for both, extra mags, extra mags for my Baretta 92f (actually more like $2500 when you figure in ammo)

Both are my first .223 and .45acp.......anxious to go test them out!! Look out paper targets....WOLVERINES!!!

Administrator
    I agree the shop acted like a turd, but in his defense, if he was had business like the shops here have had, the man was probably beat.
    A couple of very good friends of mine own a shop and they have been running ragged. Myself and even good customers have been pitching in just to help them answer phones and run the register. I cant tell you how many phone calls come in during the day, most end up just wasting valuable time. So while the man lost business and ticked off a customer which is never good, I certainly can understand were he was coming from.
    "Just blame Sixto"

It's possible the guy was busy boxing up his inventory and loading his trailer to go to the gun show and wasn't looking forward to pulling out anything so you could look at it.In todays buying frenzy at a gun show a 950 to 1200 dollar AR15 will sell pretty quick.If I go to a gun store with a particular gun in mind I want to buy and find it at a decent price I pull the trigger and buy it cause it may noy be there tomorrow and the next one you see may be higher priced
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links