Defensive Carry banner

AK-47 questions

3K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Rob72 
#1 · (Edited)
So, I'm interested in picking up a defensive rifle for myself. Actually, let me be honest, I want a rifle before the ban and I know that this is something that I should have done years ago.

I am inclining toward the AK. It would be in my price range, the caliber(7.62x39) is acceptable for me, and it's a solid, reliable rifle that I can pass on to my children. I have 2 options consider.

1. An Arsenal SGL-20 from a local arms dealer.

2. A Century WASR from Dunhams.

Which should I consider? The SGL-20 would be new, from Arsenal, wereas the WASR looks used and the sales associate is an 18 yearold kid who doesn't know anything about the gun except the price. The WASR is around $600 and the SGL-20 at ~$800.

I do know that the WASR is the, and I'll use the term loosely, "bottom of the barrel" product. But what about the SGL? I'm still in my research/data mining mode, but I know that I'll have to reach a desicion fast.

#5 ·
Arsenal makes excellent quality Kalashnikov rifles. I have a Romanian GP WASR10 that I bought two years ago for $415, but now I see them going for 600-700 dollars, my guess is because of the election. I bought it in anticipation of something like this happening and I am glad I did. If you can afford the Arsenal, I say go for that one.

She's not that great looking, but she will get the job done!

#6 ·
the SLG-20 I handled today seemed better than my WASR-10/16 in about all aspects. It was also more than double what I paid for my WASR ($450 vs $1199)

For $800, Id snatch up the Arsenal in a hearbeat

#7 ·
there's nothing wrong with WASRs as long as the specific gun doesn't have certain issues. They're not pretty but looks don't mean squat...

That said, $600 is more than I'd want to pay for WASR. Since the Arsenal is only a couple-hundred more, I'd go that route if those are your only options.

What I would actually do, is try to find a cheaper WASR and send it to Jim Fuller at Rifle Dynamics to have it straightened out.

#8 ·
IMO, the Arsenal AK's are worth it, and I'd bet they retain their value more especially as the better quality AK's keep disappearing.

#10 ·
Interesting thread.....don't mean to hijack, but while were on the subject......

I too am looking for a serious SHTF rifle such as an AR, SKS or AK. Found a nice used Arsenal AK with the milled receiver, (not stamped), black thumb hole stock, six 30 round mags and 1,000 rounds of ammo for $1,000.

Deal or too much coin????

#11 ·
Well, to tell the truth.....right now that seems like a very good deal. It just depends on how "used" is used I guess. Arsenal's Milled receivers are more desirable anyway to my thinking. The mags and ammo make it even better. I would go over it well since it's used, and make sure the numbers match and no 'questionable' parts added.

#16 ·
My 2 cents...

A good source of info and a another great bunch of guys can be found @

The AK Forum

Having said that...between the Wasr and the Arsenal...go Arsenal.

Here's my Yugoslavian AKMS...$350 OTD 2 years ago...back when a case (1k) of WOLF 7.62 went for $169...:rolleyes:

#17 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the AK Forum!

That AK looks wicked with that "pointy thing" on the end!!! :image035:

I'm going to go back to the shop that has this AK on consighment Wednesday and look it over again. When I was there Saturday, I spoke to the shop's gunsmith and he said the gun was orginally purchased there and that in his opinion, the weapon is in nice shape.
I must admit, when he gave it to me off the rack, I could not tell it was used. Very well taken care of and clean!!

We'll see!! Thanks for the input, gang!

#18 ·
Well, the AK was gone when I got there today! :frown:

However it may be a blessing in disguise. I spoke with the owner of the shop, (whom I have known for a longtime), and he informed me that there is getting to be a shortage of 7.62 ammo. He can't even get a box in the shop let alone a case. Seems it's rumored to no longer being shipped into the country. Something about all the big overseas ammo makers of 7.62 selling and shipping mass quanities to known terrorist countries and that the US govt. is blocking any and all products of these companies because they are dealing with known countries linked to terrorist organizations. Enacted by the Bush administration as I understand it.

Does any of this ring a bell with anyone else?

He said this is all speculation/rumors, but when he went to the Shot Show in Orlando, Wolf ammo didn't even have a stand/booth, let alone even show signs of a rep being on the premises.

Needless to say, I may reconsider my thoughts on an AR15.

#19 ·
Dude, the ARs are no better a proposition, at the moment. If you need one, get the platform now, and as much ammo as you can, then buy a box at Wally World each payday.

If you have a bolt gun, or "sporting caliber" semi (Rem 7600 or similar) buy ammo, parts and mags for that. To be absolutely blunt- be able to "inhibit or disable vital functions" with what you have; it's the operator, not the tool. Don't waste cash on a system that won't be more than 1/2 capable.

Edit: no import bans at the moment, and Bush didn't do it. Eric Holder has a woody to get Obama a Legal Victory of some kind, early on, and the ammo import ban has been discussed. At the moment, it's purely a supply/demand issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.