AK-47 questions

This is a discussion on AK-47 questions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, I'm interested in picking up a defensive rifle for myself. Actually, let me be honest, I want a rifle before the ban and I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AK-47 questions

AK-47 questions

So, I'm interested in picking up a defensive rifle for myself. Actually, let me be honest, I want a rifle before the ban and I know that this is something that I should have done years ago.

I am inclining toward the AK. It would be in my price range, the caliber(7.62x39) is acceptable for me, and it's a solid, reliable rifle that I can pass on to my children. I have 2 options consider.

1. An Arsenal SGL-20 from a local arms dealer.

2. A Century WASR from Dunhams.

Which should I consider? The SGL-20 would be new, from Arsenal, wereas the WASR looks used and the sales associate is an 18 yearold kid who doesn't know anything about the gun except the price. The WASR is around $600 and the SGL-20 at ~$800.

I do know that the WASR is the, and I'll use the term loosely, "bottom of the barrel" product. But what about the SGL? I'm still in my research/data mining mode, but I know that I'll have to reach a desicion fast.
    Last edited by Thijones; February 28th, 2009 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Added/removed info

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    $600 is about 50 to 100 too high for a (base model)WASR. The Arsenal price seems about right but I'm not an expert on them. Look here for ideas on price and packages.

Classic Arms Inc.
    Last edited by atctimmy; February 28th, 2009 at 03:48 PM. Reason: spelling two to and too :)
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Buy the best that you can afford, I have several AK's and they all are tough and super reliable. Arsenal is a good gun!

I don't think you'd be unhappy with either.

The WASR's may not look like much but they can be prettied up.

An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Arsenal makes excellent quality Kalashnikov rifles. I have a Romanian GP WASR10 that I bought two years ago for $415, but now I see them going for 600-700 dollars, my guess is because of the election. I bought it in anticipation of something like this happening and I am glad I did. If you can afford the Arsenal, I say go for that one.

She's not that great looking, but she will get the job done!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

the SLG-20 I handled today seemed better than my WASR-10/16 in about all aspects. It was also more than double what I paid for my WASR ($450 vs $1199)

For $800, Id snatch up the Arsenal in a hearbeat
    GUN CONTROL IS USING BOTH HANDS

I believe its a shoulder thing that goes up - Carolyn McCarthy (D)

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says go away in every language.
    -Clint Smith

there's nothing wrong with WASRs as long as the specific gun doesn't have certain issues. They're not pretty but looks don't mean squat...

That said, $600 is more than I'd want to pay for WASR. Since the Arsenal is only a couple-hundred more, I'd go that route if those are your only options.

What I would actually do, is try to find a cheaper WASR and send it to Jim Fuller at Rifle Dynamics to have it straightened out.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

IMO, the Arsenal AK's are worth it, and I'd bet they retain their value more especially as the better quality AK's keep disappearing.

If I was buying an AK, I would get an Arsenal - especially if it was between that and a WASR.

Austin

Interesting thread.....don't mean to hijack, but while were on the subject......

I too am looking for a serious SHTF rifle such as an AR, SKS or AK. Found a nice used Arsenal AK with the milled receiver, (not stamped), black thumb hole stock, six 30 round mags and 1,000 rounds of ammo for $1,000.

Deal or too much coin????
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Quote Originally Posted by Fastball View Post
    Interesting thread.....don't mean to hijack, but while were on the subject......

I too am looking for a serious SHTF rifle such as an AR, SKS or AK. Found a nice used Arsenal AK with the milled receiver, (not stamped), black thumb hole stock, six 30 round mags and 1,000 rounds of ammo for $1,000.

Well, to tell the truth.....right now that seems like a very good deal. It just depends on how "used" is used I guess. Arsenal's Milled receivers are more desirable anyway to my thinking. The mags and ammo make it even better. I would go over it well since it's used, and make sure the numbers match and no 'questionable' parts added.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastball View Post

Slug it- take a round, and place it point-first into the muzzle. The bullet should stop befor the case mouth touches the muzzle. This is a quick-n-dirty bore-wear check.

If you have access to a genuine bore slug set, and go-no-go gauges, the really is about all you need to look at. Sounds like a good deal.

Heck, even if the barrel is shot out, you can retrofit an aftermarket for $100 and DIY.

Distinguished Member
    I would like to get a Arsenal and I know someone that has a unfired M7A1R, but he is asking $1900 for it, so I had to pass.

VIP Member
    Rob72.
    Slug it- take a round, and place it point-first into the muzzle. The bullet should stop befor the case mouth touches the muzzle. This is a quick-n-dirty bore-wear check.

I just tried this with My XD-9 I got new a few years back. It was good of course.
    I will remember this when I buy second hand again. Thanks.

Thumbs up

fastball that is a deal as long as the gun is in good shape

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links